Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - tire changer for home shop
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2012, 11:08 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The only problem is that the air valve for the bead breaker sticks. Otherwise, it works great.
Funny, my Corghi Jolly has the same problem. I dont use it enough to have gotten around to fixing it...(2 dozen tires a year maybe?). Maybe it's an italian thing...

I picked up my Jolly and a nice hunter dsp9000 balancer for $700 last year after spending a few years looking for the right deal. Another $300 or so in weights, tools, lube, plastic guards for the duckhead bar and bead breaker shoe I suppose.

If you have an eye on a particular model, do some googling and try to find the operators manuals to familiarize yourself with the unit!

For home shop use, though - if it works, and you can get guards for it (which you can for the major brands, and -some- of the off brands) (unless you don't need them. I like'm.) go for it.

For the balancers, make sure that it's self calibrating (there should be a calibration weight that generally screws into the backing plate). Some machines require a "common 13-15 inch steel wheel" that you have to balance, then flip, then spin and rotate and tweak.... the ones with a calibration weight are much easier to do. Takes me about 15 seconds to do a quick check.

Also keep in mind that you'll need cones or other adapters that fit whatever wheels your working with - and those can get $$ if you have to find them new! There are a few variations in shaft size, so you have to find the parts that fit the shaft you have.

Don't buy anything that you can't test in place before you move it (unless it's pure bottom basement and you don't mind risking it or fixing it).

good luck!