Hot Rod Forum banner

Tire Cover as Fender?(cycle fender), Need Bracket Ideas!

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
I picked up a spare tire cover at Turlock to use as front fenders and want to know how to bracket them to the backing plates. I'm lucky that the backing plates have one good two bolt mounting points at the rear where the Lincoln E-brake cable went through. Also I could tie into the spindle bolt for a mounting point. I expect there to be a lot of wind buffeting and vibration on the unsuspended front and want to avoid cracking and fender flapping. What works?? Thanks: Fred A

#2 ·
I will tell you one thing, it sounds like you are pretty aware but I will say it anyway, RESPECT the amount of vibration they will be subjected to. A lot of guys will look at stuff like this as just the "weight" of the item or something like that. The vibration is VICIOUS and subjects the bracket to tremendous stress. You need to spread out the forces from the bolt where it is held.

I used cycle fenders once and thought I had made some pretty slick 1"x1/8" strap brakets. They lasted about 200 miles of the first trip, one fender broke and I had to remove it for the rest of the trip.

I would use 1/2" diameter, 1/8" wall tubing with well supported ends for the bolts. Slice about 3/16" off the side of tubing and weld a nice bead on each side of the tube to the bracket that will bolt to the backing plate. Actually, the spindle to backing plate is where it should bolt. Make a nice long (about two to three inch) 3/16" by 1" bracket that will bolt to the spindle and run up the back side of the tubing.

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.