Hot Rod Forum banner

tire pressure monitoring system question!!

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  A355CAMARO 
#1 ·
I just bought a new 07 Silverado with 17" wheels, and would like to put 20's on it with larger diameter tires to fill the huge wheel wells.My question is about the tire pressure monitoring system that now comes standard on these vehicles. I want to use the 20's in the summer, and the original 17's in the winter but I'm concerned about the pressure sensors in the rims. Can I swap back and forth without having to go back to the dealer for them to re-flash the computer?I would like to just bypass the pressure system altogether so that I don't have to have sensors in the 20's.Also, is there a hand held scan tool available for me to input my own tire diameter into the computer so that my speedometer reads accurately? Thanks Dan
www.geocities.com/dantechfab

#3 ·
I don't know either but this will bump it back up to the top.

By the way if anyone seeing this hasn't checked out hemi43's website lately take a look. He has painted his 28 Dodge. It looks great. He has also started on the interior and the completed Mopar engine compartment shines. Great work. :thumbup: And I still think that Dodge don't need no fenders. :D

#4 ·
Each set of rims will have to have their own sensors installed unless you plan on breaking the tires down each time. There is a procedure in your owners manual for resetting your computer to recognize the new positions of your sensors. You have to run the procedure each time you rotate tires because the computer logs the sensor position. The sensors on the unused wheels will go to sleep after a period of no movement, so if they are in the same garage as the set you are using they will not interfere. As far as I am aware the tire pressure sensor function cannot be disabled, at least that is what two dealerships have told me.

The morons at the tire shop will damage the sensors if you don't warn them, ask me how I know :pain: .

Vince

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.