Hot Rod Forum banner

Tire to rim newbie question

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BRSleeper2 
#1 ·
Without thinking I ordered 2 tires I was hoping to put on the back of my 78 Monte.... The size of the tires are 245/60/14, I was hoping to keep the stock look (using the stock rallies that orginally came with the Monte) but have fatties on the rear. When I went to have them mounted the guy said I do not suggest mounting these tires on these rims as he believed they were 14 by 6 in rims. Now I have these tires and no rims to mount them on... Can I get stock rallies like those that came on the Monte in a wider rim? And what size rims do I need to properly mount a 245 tires? Will a 7 inch rim work or does it need to be a 9? I quess if I can get them I will go with aluminum Slots, but I was really hoping to keep the stock rims. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Sleeper

#2 ·
The 245 will mount on a 7" wheel with no problem. I am not sure if the factory ralley was a 7" or 6", I had a couple of sets at one time and I don't think I ever measured them.
Is the load capacity sticker still on the door? it will have the standard and optional wheel sizes.

#4 ·
OneMoreTime said:
Wheels vintique I believe makes a wheel that matches the GM rally wheel..and it is available in different widths..

Sam
I may be mistaken, I think the wheel he is referring to is a different style than Wheels Vintique offers. The rallys on the 78 and later were sort of a five spoke style with a star shaped center cap that was plastic. I believe the same style as the late Monte's was used on some S-10's, maybe even in 15".

#5 ·
1ownerT said:
I may be mistaken, I think the wheel he is referring to is a different style than Wheels Vintique offers. The rallys on the 78 and later were sort of a five spoke style with a star shaped center cap that was plastic. I believe the same style as the late Monte's was used on some S-10's, maybe even in 15".
That is entirely possible..Only thing a fellow can do is get the catalog and that would tell the tale..

Sam

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.