Hot Rod Forum banner

Tire / rim question

821 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  S10xGN 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm putting 325 drag radials on my Maverick project. I can run either 15x10 or 15x12 rims, which would result in a narrower overall tire width? Even though it's mini-tubbed and the frame rails have been narrowed, the tire will be tight.

Thanks!

Russ

#2 ·
S10xGN said:
Hi All,

I'm putting 325 drag radials on my Maverick project. I can run either 15x10 or 15x12 rims, which would result in a narrower overall tire width? Even though it's mini-tubbed and the frame rails have been narrowed, the tire will be tight.

Thanks!

Russ
Depends on the backspacing of the rims.

More backspacing will result in a narrower overall tire width.

i.e. If the backspacing of the 15X12 rims was 6" and the backspacing of the 15X10 rims was 3"; the overall width would be less using the 12" wide rims.

#3 ·
Frisco said:
Depends on the backspacing of the rims.

More backspacing will result in a narrower overall tire width.

i.e. If the backspacing of the 15X12 rims was 6" and the backspacing of the 15X10 rims was 3"; the overall width would be less using the 12" wide rims.
More backspacing will result in a narrower track width, not tire width. The 10" wheel will give you a slightly narrower tire width than the 12" wheel. Tread width will remain the same with either wheel.....

#4 ·
ceh383 said:
More backspacing will result in a narrower track width, not tire width. The 10" wheel will give you a slightly narrower tire width than the 12" wheel. Tread width will remain the same with either wheel.....
Thank you for the correction. :D

In my haste to provide an answer I mis-read the question and assumed he was asking about the overall track width. My bad! :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.