Tire selection help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 06:20 PM
I smell like a hotrod!

Last journal entry: windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tire selection help

I have a '40 chevy, and the rear fenders are 2" wider than stock. I am looking to match up tires for the car, and I never have luck at picking the right size.

On my '39 I have 215/70 r16 on the rear and the front I have 205/60 r16. I know the front's are wider.

I am looking to go with a 16" in the front and a 17" in the rear of the '40. I like a lot of rubber to fill up the wheel wells. Any suggestions on tire size? On the '39 The sidewall is perfect but the backs are thinner than the front.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2006, 09:12 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Body and exterior tips Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Here is link that will give you some info on how tires are sized. It will explain how to get your rear tires the right sidewall height for what you want and how to have them wider than your front tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=46

As well most tire companies will have some type of calculator or info on their web sites.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:52 PM
It's shady under this tree...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tire sizing is pretty easy once you get the hang of it.

In your tires' case, the rears are wider. Here's how it goes. On a P215/70R16, the "P" stands for Passenger, or P-Metric. The 215 is the tire width from the widest point of the tire (inflated on a wheel with no load) to the widest on the opposite side. It has nothing to do with tread width, as some tires will have narrower or wider tread widths within each respective size. The 70 is the aspect ratio, or percentage of the total width for the sidewall height. So the sidewall height is 70% of the width of the tire. "R" is radial construction ("B" for belted bias, and "D" for diagonal bias). and the 16 is the wheel diameter.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.