Tire Sidewall damage - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2008, 12:52 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tire Sidewall damage

Not sure if this is the right section, but...

I have a car that hit the curb on the right front corner pretty hard, it cause some minor wheel damage but managed to take a chunk out of the sidewall maybe half again larger than a quarter, and about a quarter of an inch deep. There's no chord or wire or anything showing, and no obvious effects from the driver's seat, but I'm wondering if it's safe to still use. The tires are about 205/50/15s, pirelli all seasons. It's not my car, and I don't know if the owner can afford new tires, but they drive 20miles to and from work everyday, and I'd rather not have the tire blow out or disintegrate on the highway or something.

Any advice or experience would be great, it's pretty urgent obviously, since they're still driving it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sidewall damage always means replace, never repair. The damage will likely deteriorate somewhat quickly, but may not be a sudden failure without warning. Vibration will be a warning, and when not being driven it will visibly bulge. Another warning sign will be loss of tire pressure, such as you have to fill it up before going to work and you come out after work to a flat tire.

Sidewall stiffness comes from the thickness of the rubber of the sidewall. The damage has at the least probably taken away sidewall stiffness locally and will result in belt detrioration if the belts aren't already damaged. Belt seperation happens even though you can't see the belt.

Any of the warning signs will indicate that the tire must be replaced, but it's probably not a matter of if, just when.

On my SVT Focus, I lost 4 tires to sidewall belt seperation due to potholes, usually I'd feel the vibration right away or the next day and the loss of tire pressure within days or a week at most. Usually it was accompanied by rim damage. Usually by the time it would reach the point I'd replace tires and wheels, the wheel would be bent in as many as 7 places. None of this ever involved chunks of sidewall being missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.