Tired of buying new safety glasses???? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2011, 05:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Tired of buying new safety glasses????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your anything like me and cant see so good ,using a scuffed up pair of safty glasses just wont do,they gotta be like new.. I must have two dozen pair scatterd around the shop that are too scuffed to use or they got over spray on them,and at 10.00 a pop I know I should take better care of them and not set them down on the lenses etc...but I always seem to screw them up within a week or two...
Yesterday I was trying to find a good pair with no luck and was getting ready to go to lowes and get a couple more pair when I saw my Mcguieres headlight lens repair compound (used once)and figured what the heck I'll give it a shot on the bench buffer...I spent about 5 seconds and couldnt believe it, they were like brand new...I spent the next hour finding all my old glasses and polishing them up......I may never have to buy another pair ever again.... Give it a shot.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 06:48 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

It sounds a great idea.I should try that too.

[url=http://www.**********/url]

Last edited by dinger; 08-22-2011 at 08:35 AM. Reason: Advertising. Please see: commercial posting guidelines.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

Well that's a great idea that I never thought of. Am definitely going to try that out, even with my face shield too.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:38 PM

Warning:
hang on to those glasses good it would be very embaressing going to the hospital from getting hit by a pair of "safty glasses" if they go flying across the room ...That bench buffer can send them speeding off at the speed of light.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 PM

Last photo:

Great idea...Thanks for the tip....
Old 08-22-2011, 03:39 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G
Great idea...Thanks for the tip....
Not only should you hold on tight, but don't forget to take them off, ( for the older folks).

Bob
Old 08-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Pontiac Pilot

Some of those clear glasses actually have a coating and a UV rating. I wonder if buffing them would wear that off? Either way, just for garage use, they'd do just fine. I buffed some with Meguiars ultimate compound, seems to work alright.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:13 PM

Last photo:

I just pay $2 for a new pair and toss them when they get messed up.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:14 PM

Last journal entry: Grille
Last photo:

I love meguiar's stuff, Every time I go to parts store I check out what's new from Meguiar's and usually will buy a bottle or two of cleaners/waxes, etc.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:18 PM
Crazy Ole Ironhead

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cknarf
Some of those clear glasses actually have a coating and a UV rating. I wonder if buffing them would wear that off? Either way, just for garage use, they'd do just fine. I buffed some with Meguiars ultimate compound, seems to work alright.
It doesnt hurt em 1 bit,any safety glass that are Z87.1 rated have a Polycarbonate into the lens resin,thats where the UV/IR ratings come from.

Great idea with the polishing!...i get all mine free and about all i want at work..lol..i have a big plastic box FULL of several types..clears..smoked lens..different styles..dark lens..etc..i'll bring you a few new pairs of the clear and dark Smith & Wessons Mike when i come to pick up my car trailer this week sometime,we been gettin crazy hours early this year at the nuke i'm workin,thats why i aint been up to get it but need to get it because i have a Jeep frame a buddy wants me to weld/repair to pickup and a buddy needs it to move into a new house this weekend.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:47 PM
put up or shut up

Last journal entry: saying goodbye to the beast
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your anything like me and cant see so good ,using a scuffed up pair of safty glasses just wont do,they gotta be like new.. I must have two dozen pair scatterd around the shop that are too scuffed to use or they got over spray on them,and at 10.00 a pop I know I should take better care of them and not set them down on the lenses etc...but I always seem to screw them up within a week or two...
Yesterday I was trying to find a good pair with no luck and was getting ready to go to lowes and get a couple more pair when I saw my Mcguieres headlight lens repair compound (used once)and figured what the heck I'll give it a shot on the bench buffer...I spent about 5 seconds and couldnt believe it, they were like brand new...I spent the next hour finding all my old glasses and polishing them up......I may never have to buy another pair ever again.... Give it a shot.....
I usually do it by hand. I don't use glasses anymore, I use harbor freight goggles that don't fog up. They're a great deal. I got three pairs. One for the house, one for work, and another pair just in case. Glasses are helpful but I can attest to the fact that it's not enough coverage. Even with my goggles I've gotten stuff shot into my eye between the gap on the bottom and my nose so I use a little tape in that area and just the feeling that every angle is completely covered makes such a difference in terms of being worried. I see guys using glasses all the time and some guys just looking away or aiming the sparks elsewhere. I've had three visits to the eye doctor in one year and I don't want to go back. I love the fact that I can clean inside and outside of my goggles and completely renew them with just a little compound.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Not only should you hold on tight, but don't forget to take them off, ( for the older folks).

Bob
Now all I need to do is figure out a way to know they are on my head so I dont waste the whole day looking for them....
Old 08-23-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthnCustoms
It doesnt hurt em 1 bit,any safety glass that are Z87.1 rated have a Polycarbonate into the lens resin,thats where the UV/IR ratings come from.

Great idea with the polishing!...i get all mine free and about all i want at work..lol..i have a big plastic box FULL of several types..clears..smoked lens..different styles..dark lens..etc..i'll bring you a few new pairs of the clear and dark Smith & Wessons Mike when i come to pick up my car trailer this week sometime,we been gettin crazy hours early this year at the nuke i'm workin,thats why i aint been up to get it but need to get it because i have a Jeep frame a buddy wants me to weld/repair to pickup and a buddy needs it to move into a new house this weekend.
LOL,No problem,its ready for ya.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:52 AM

Last photo:

Safety glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Now all I need to do is figure out a way to know they are on my head so I dont waste the whole day looking for them....
Boy that's the truth. I shouldn't tell this but , I spent 5 Min. once looking for mine and I had them on.

Bob
Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:

I'd buff mine out but they're so scratched, I can't see to do it

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.