Tired of oil pan drool - - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Tired of oil pan drool -

To match the rest of the shiny underside parts of my car, I used a Ford Motorsport chrome oil pan (a 'premium' Taiwanese part). I took the usual precautions of scuffing the pan's chrome-to-block surface plus using the bolt 'girdle' and OEM bolts Ford supplies on their crate motors (no distorted bolt holes) Three pan gaskets in 3 years is getting old, with another coming this winter. This brings me to my question - has anyone used any of the Summit, Spectre or Mr Gasket pans - natural steel or zinc ('gold') plated? Leaks? Quality?

I've already changed the chrome transmission pan - and no more leaks there with a deep aluminum

Dave W

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2012, 06:54 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

the dreaded leak

dave, where is it leaking.. gasket or seal area ??? i smear rtv on the pan and place the gasket on and leave it for bout an hour. the seal, i rtv the pan and engine side and install the pan and wipe any goobers off, pressing it toward the engine to make sure of no gaps.. but i'm sure u did the same... i inspect the pan surface to make sure its as flat as possible, and a good snug on the bolts only.. bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 07:24 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

suck it in

When I lived in Calif my neighbor built and raced circle track cars. When he got and engine together on the stand he would duct tape over the oil fill and breather holes then hook up a long rubber hose to the dip stick tube and connect the other end to a vacuum source on his DD. Then he used his stethescope to go all around the engine listening for a whistle. when he found one he would use a small daub of RTV and listen for the whistle to stop, then wipe the surface clean.
Old 08-26-2012, 02:50 PM

I'm not a real fan of RTV and try to only use it as a corner seal at the front and rear mains. I ended up replacing the transmission pan (3 different brands chrome plated) with a deep sump aluminum version to stop the leak - which was no more then an annoying ooze (1-2" dia puddle in a couple weeks).
There have been threads here in the past on chrome oil pans that leak - and I thought I had mine 'cured' by roughing the mating surface - wrong!! I'm collecting some parts to pull the engine down for other reasons, so am going to do an oil pan change as well which is the reason for my question as to whether anyone had used a Mr Gasket, Spectre or Summit stock type replacement. I might consider an aluminum pan, but the offerings I've seen so far are not, IMO, very good products
Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

no chunks

I've pulled a few engines down and found big chunks of rtv and always wondered how much damage they could do getting tossed around inside the engine plugging up something, the neighbor always just used a little bit carefully applied.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I installed a Summit pan on my sbc along with a FelPro one piece gasket, no leaks.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
I've pulled a few engines down and found big chunks of rtv and always wondered how much damage they could do getting tossed around inside the engine plugging up something, the neighbor always just used a little bit carefully applied.
My last 351W had a fair amount of RTVwadded into the oil pump screen - but no internal damage - could have reringed and rebearing it - but it got the full treatment of bore, bearings, etc. If it got through the oil pump and filter, could clog some passages or an orifice.

S10fan - thanks for the info. I suspect the Summit, Spectre and Mr Gasket pans are identical, coming off the same Chinese production line. But that's today's world of car parts

Dave W
Old 08-30-2012, 10:19 AM

Got the Summit pan - nice and stout - but poor zinc chromate plating, but that's no problem for the $45 bucks as it will be either painted (probably) or powder coated (if my ship comes in)
Old 08-30-2012, 11:25 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child View Post
Got the Summit pan - nice and stout - but poor zinc chromate plating, but that's no problem for the $45 bucks as it will be either painted (probably) or powder coated (if my ship comes in)
Bring that sucker over, 30 minutes in the oven and ding it's done. You get the powder I got the gun and the oven. I can even blast it for you.

(Can you tell I'm bored but putting off chores?)
Old 08-30-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Bring that sucker over, 30 minutes in the oven and ding it's done. You get the powder I got the gun and the oven. I can even blast it for you.

(Can you tell I'm bored but putting off chores?)
George - you "working" today or just playing? I've even been catching up on the house chores I procrastinated over this past spring, but not rushing.

Going 'big time' now and in competition with our favorite South Sch'dy coaters eh. Might just take you up on that oven offer. How much powder do I need? Color and possibly clear?
Old 08-30-2012, 12:42 PM

Last photo:

No, not at home. You won't need much. You typically don't need a clear unless it's a silver (the aluminum powder is exposed and will tarnish) Depending where you buy it there might be minimum quatities. You can get from Eastwood, Castwell plating or powder by the pound. You should probably give me the dimensions so I can double check that it will fit.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
No, not at home. You won't need much. You typically don't need a clear unless it's a silver (the aluminum powder is exposed and will tarnish) Depending where you buy it there might be minimum quantities. You can get from Eastwood, Castwell plating or powder by the pound. You should probably give me the dimensions so I can double check that it will fit.
George - it's 22-5/8L x 11-1/8W x 8-1/4 deep (within +/- 1/8 inch), but no big hurry as there are still 2-3 of driving months left, regardless of how little I'm using the car this year.

Color - to be determined, but I have had a quick at Powder by the Pound website. I wont buy from Eastwood - rather do paint first!!!!

( Does your wife know you do this to her oven? )

Dave W
Old 08-31-2012, 06:23 AM

Last photo:

Ha Ha no worries, I have an electric oven in the garage just for PC'ing. I'll check the dimensions and let you know. Even if it's too long, I might be able to make it fit if it's turned the right way (my DOHC valve covers were a tight fit)
Old 08-31-2012, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Ha Ha no worries, I have an electric oven in the garage just for PC'ing. I'll check the dimensions and let you know. Even if it's too long, I might be able to make it fit if it's turned the right way (my DOHC valve covers were a tight fit)
I can bring it over for a 'test fit' which might be better - you going to be around this (Labor Day) weekend?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:39 PM

Last photo:

Oven is just about 22" wide so test fit is in order. Taking the motorcycle course the weekend so won't be around much.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.