Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   tired of tbi (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/tired-tbi-179772.html)

dnk5chevy 06-20-2010 01:30 AM

tired of tbi
 
hey guys got a 90 chevy pu want to do away with the tbi and go back to carb and hei how hard will this be and will it make for a better running motor???

techinspector1 06-20-2010 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnk5chevy
hey guys got a 90 chevy pu want to do away with the tbi and go back to carb and hei how hard will this be and will it make for a better running motor???

Sounds like a horrible idea to me. Could result in huge fines and the inability to sell the truck to anyone who has to pass emissions anywhere in the country.

Sell the truck and buy an earlier year vehicle to dink with, one that is not subject to emissions testing.

ChevyTruckGuy 06-20-2010 05:36 AM

Whats the problem? www.fullsizechevy.com

Craig

b00tz 06-20-2010 09:13 AM

shouldnt be a big deal, just have to get the new style intake manifold with diagonal bolts,look for one from the newer style motor with the centerbolt valve covers, should bolt right on.

dnk5chevy 06-20-2010 10:38 AM

dont have testing here yet.
no real problem just dont like all the computer controled crap

dnk5chevy 06-21-2010 12:21 AM

thats it nothing else??

oldBodyman 06-21-2010 12:43 AM

"thats it nothing else??"

which transmission does it have?
high pressure fuel pump for the TBI?
Electric speedo? Evap canister? Air injection for the exhaust and cat?

They are all linked together and the ECM won't work without the TBI in the system. Changing out ALL of the wiring harnesses won't be fun or easy, the electronics are not backwards compatible.

Sorry but I think techinspector1 nailed it, much easier to find an older truck to play with.

dnk5chevy 06-21-2010 12:49 PM

truck has 700r4 out of a chevy mini van, no cats 3in pipe into flowmaster w/dule outlets, looks like older style exuast mans,also looks like someone has been in ecm. truck runs pretty good i'm just not that up to date on all the computer stuff nor do i have the budget for it oh no speedo hooked up at the moment its elec.

oldBodyman 06-21-2010 10:50 PM

"truck runs pretty good i'm just not that up to date on all the computer stuff nor do i have the budget for it "

Than just leave it alone, there is no cheap & easy way to convert, the ECM also ties into the 700R4.

IF you can find a pre 87 Astro van with a 305/350 & 700R4 with a non-electric carb, grab it up for the parts, harnesses and ECM and plan to send a week changing things over, then pray for the best.

Changing over to a CCC carb makes no sense, just as much computer control and more expensive. For giggles I just checked NAPA for parts:

a Holley rebuilt E4ME Q-JET is $700
Echlin rebuilt parts for mine is $250 + a weekend tinkering around
off-brand parts are $150 and questionable

This really does sound like an idea that should die on the vine, sorry.

dnk5chevy 06-21-2010 11:11 PM

i think we missed the point dont want to convert ecm want to do away with all the computer crap, no sensors ect.ect

FastOrange 06-21-2010 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldBodyman
"thats it nothing else??"

which transmission does it have?
high pressure fuel pump for the TBI?
Electric speedo? Evap canister? Air injection for the exhaust and cat?

They are all linked together and the ECM won't work without the TBI in the system. Changing out ALL of the wiring harnesses won't be fun or easy, the electronics are not backwards compatible.

Sorry but I think techinspector1 nailed it, much easier to find an older truck to play with.

Im successfully running a Carb 350 and using the factory 4.3L PCM to control my 4L60E, no problems what so ever, and i didnt get it tuned

FastOrange 06-21-2010 11:28 PM

easiest way around the TBI Pump is to use a Holley By-Pass regulator.

Here is the info on how i did it.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthre...-4L60E-Control

FastOrange 06-21-2010 11:37 PM

plus in 1990 your tranny should be a 700R4. making this swap super easy, basically all you need is

-Holley ByPass Regulator (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-12-803BP/) Has to be bypass if you plan to keep the TBI Pump.

-Carb Intake

-I would recommend a HEI Distributor

-Carb

Steal the 12V for the Distributor from the Pink wire in the stock coil harness. '

Keep the CTS, VSS, OPS so your gauges work.

dnk5chevy 06-22-2010 12:21 AM

thats what i was thinking carb,intake,hei, also thought about dumping the r4 going to th400
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/a...7/truck002.jpg
this is my driver/toy that i want to spruce up. thanks guys for any thoughts.

FastOrange 06-22-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnk5chevy
thats what i was thinking carb,intake,hei, also thought about dumping the r4 going to th400
http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/a...7/truck002.jpg
this is my driver/toy that i want to spruce up. thanks guys for any thoughts.

Nice little Sport!

if you are going to a TH400, i dont know if your speedo will work right.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.