Tired of what i have want something different - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2006, 07:39 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tired of what i have want something different

The four wheel discs are nice and the build was fun. Now it is time for something different. An extra set of Pontiac 8 lugs set me thinking- I never seen them on a rod before. So, the game is afoot. The rears appear to be almost a bolt on on the 54 olds rear axle. The front is a different story. The spindles are, I think, aftermarket 37 ford spindles. The length is fine and the outer bearing is a perfect fit. The inner and seal is a different story. The diameter for the inner is an eighth to small and the seal is a quarter to small.
My bearing books don't list a bearing that has the right inner and outer diameter in the right thickness. So, I was wondering, has anyone tried putting a sleeve on the spindle to correct a fit. I was thinking about a .003 sweat fit would keep the sleeve there forever especially if a little bearing mount was used.
Any ideas or comments?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2006, 07:46 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I don't know if this relates or not, but it sounds similar.

The front disk "kits" for the straight axle ford trucks (Mid 50s) use a sleeve for the rear bearing and then the disks from a late model truck. They usually heat the sleeve to get it to go on and once its cooled....thats it....no getting it off again.

I have no clue what seal they use, since my 56 is stock drums brakes all the way around.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:56 PM

Last photo:

Thats what I am talking about. Just wanted some feedback from others that have done it before I go off the deep end
Old 10-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Lost in the 50s!

Last journal entry: time to start body work
Last photo:

I have never done it. There are a lot of the ford trucks running around with the kits though. Go over to ford truck enthusiasts and look in the 48-60 area.

Or look at CPP for a parts picture:

CPP

You can see the shims in that pic.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

Looks to me like this project is a go. Thanks for the link.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61bone
The four wheel discs are nice and the build was fun. Now it is time for something different. An extra set of Pontiac 8 lugs set me thinking- I never seen them on a rod before. So, the game is afoot. The rears appear to be almost a bolt on on the 54 olds rear axle. The front is a different story. The spindles are, I think, aftermarket 37 ford spindles. The length is fine and the outer bearing is a perfect fit. The inner and seal is a different story. The diameter for the inner is an eighth to small and the seal is a quarter to small.
My bearing books don't list a bearing that has the right inner and outer diameter in the right thickness. So, I was wondering, has anyone tried putting a sleeve on the spindle to correct a fit. I was thinking about a .003 sweat fit would keep the sleeve there forever especially if a little bearing mount was used.
Any ideas or comments?
You mention "bearing books" in your post, but I might suggest that you try an on-line search at SKF Bearings

There is a LOT of information there, although navigating it is a little tough. Look for "Product tables" on the RH side of the page, just under the "Taper Roller Bearings" text header (or immediately above the "Taper Roller Bearings" link.

When you do get to the product table, you'll notice that all of the specs are metric ... and that they use a "," (comma) instead of a "." (point). Click on the [IMP] button to change the displayed info to Imperial (inch) specifications.

Actually, here's a direct link to
Page 1 with the inch measurements in place. I'm going to bookmark it right now!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.