Old 08-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: More Interior
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
Blame the American companies for that.
Blame Americans for it. In 1976 (1976 - over 30 year ago) a company where I grew up went to the union and said they couldn't afford to keep the doors open. They asked for a drop in wages. They wanted to go from $20 to $17 per hour. (did I mention this was in 1976?) The union said no, the workers could not live on $17 per hour (did I mention this was in 1976?) The company closed all but the plating plant (probably didn't want to clean up the mess there) and went to Texas or something like that where they could get workers for $7 per hour.

But let's say we all don't want to drop our wages to what the Chinese workers are willing to work for (probably glad to in most cases). And we want to buy American made products. The consumer has to pay for that higher labor cost. Wanna pay $400 per tire? $1600 to put new tires on the car?

I bought tires the other day. I really didn't pay attention to where they were made. Thing is, they were 40,000 mile tires and I paid the same for them as I would have paid for the ones I was selling at (a large discount retailer) in the late 70's. Thing is, those were American made tires back then. They were made by (a well known tire maker). Identical to the (the well known tire maker's top of the line tire) including their tendency to have the tread come off in one big chunk. Low wage is not the only cause for poor design and/or workmanship.