tires rubbing frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2003, 12:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Question tires rubbing frame

ive had bf goodrich 255/70's on 15x8 with 5.5" backspace on the rear since december, i've had no problems except that the tires sometimes rub the exhaust when i turn a corner, until recently, the tires are real tight fitting in the wheel well but there is at least a half inch between the tire and the frame. but sometimes when i take off from a dead stop the car starts jerking because they are rubbing the frame. this just started happening the other day, and everytime i crawl up under it there is always enough room between tire and frame. i even try rocking the car back and forth to try to get the tire to touch the frame but never can. i have new air shocks on it and i thought they may have lost some air but after checking they seem fine. this mostly seems to happen on level ground moving straight when i take off. do they make some sort of spacer i can put behind the wheel to bring it out? i've got more room to work with towards the outside of the wheel well. is it a coil spring problem? any ideas would be appreciated. thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2003, 01:38 PM

Talking

Try adding some weight to the trunk and then take a look at your clearance.When you accelerate the rear of the car is lower and that is probably where your clearance changes.Yes you can buy "disc brake spacers" for 1/4 " or so.Actually you can buy "adapters" that will space you out 1", but I wouldn't trust them under racing conditions.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:46 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

if you have only one air valve and park on an incline your car will stay level and "lean" towards the uphill tire. if you have one air valve for each shock then you have other problems.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:01 PM

Last photo:

it's only one air valve. i dont race the car in fact i baby it. the problem occurs in just about any condition (level pavement, incline or whatever) and im not giving it enough gas when i do take off for the rear to come down, in fact most of the time i notice it when i let my foot off the brake and the car starts to move at idle. one thing i failed to mention before is that i did recently have the wheel bearing replaced on the side that is giving me the problem. if i could get like a 1/4" spacer behind my wheel i believe that would take care of it but i have drums, will the disc brake spacer work?
Old 03-21-2003, 08:46 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

Check your rear control arm bushings and track bar. If the bushings go out on the track bar, it will allow the rear end housing to move side to side without much effort.

If these are OK, a small spacer will be safe to use.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:10 PM

I used the 5/16 spacers on my ride. (66 Impala) I run 235/18/50's. I used spacers in the front and back.......The only thing you might have to do is change out the lug studs. Or get a special type of lug nut that is made for using spacers.....

[ March 21, 2003: Message edited by: trick66 ]</p>
Old 03-24-2003, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

if you decide you need spacers,summit has them. they are made by mr gasket & are avaialible in 7/32,5/16,7/16 thicknesses. maybe your local parts house has them. they sell for 10 to 12 bucks a pair. hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:53 AM

Last journal entry: 2 years later
Last photo:

Smile

corvettes have a spacer that goes over the tire studs behind the rim

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.