tires/wheels? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2011, 09:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

tires/wheels?

I am starting a new project (31 fenderless ford) and need to find a perfect wheel/tire size. I like a taller tire look. Would appreciate any info or pictures. Thank you

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 11:17 PM

Last photo:

Tires/wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65shelby
I am starting a new project (31 fenderless ford) and need to find a perfect wheel/tire size. I like a taller tire look. Would appreciate any info or pictures. Thank you
Do you want tall on all four corners, do you want big and Little's, do you want steel wheels, chrome wheels, mag wheels, do you want white walls or black walls. There are many combo's you can go with. I will tell you one thing Wide whites cost a bundle just four tires not mounted will be close to $1000.00 bucks with shipping. then you need the wheels, and if you are going to have hub caps you will need them plus beauty rings, will be close to a $1000.00 then you have to mount and balance them which is only $100 +

Bob
Old 09-24-2011, 09:50 PM

tires

thanks for the reply. I know there are many options depending on the look I am after, But, the overall diameter which fits the body is what needs to be right on for me, whether its modern/classic/whites/blacks etc...I like a front tire which is slightly smaller than the rear, but not the typical extreem big against the extreem small. I like them within about 2 to 3 inches different. Proportions are what Im working on right now.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:40 PM

Last photo:

Tires

Quote:
thanks for the reply. I know there are many options depending on the look I am after, But, the overall diameter which fits the body is what needs to be right on for me, whether its modern/classic/whites/blacks etc...I like a front tire which is slightly smaller than the rear, but not the typical extreem big against the extreem small. I like them within about 2 to 3 inches different. Proportions are what Im working on right now.
2 to 3 inches, Are you talking total or that's how much rake you want. If that's how much rake you want your back tires will have to be 4" to 6" taller.

I just went from a 195/70/15 to a 205/75/15, my car sits 1/8" higher, I think that's it, maybe 1/4"
You can go on line and they tell you the total height of the tire. It's really hard for one of us to tell you what you want in a look. What needs to be right for you, may be too high or low for me, and if I were to tell you I think you should do this, it would be how I like it, not how you might like it.

Proportions are different for everyone, I might like what you pick but it might not be what I would pick.

Bob
Old 09-25-2011, 06:10 PM

tires

thank you again, I was just hoping for a few profile pictures of others cars to get an idea of proportions I like. I am thinking of going with a 30" rear tire and maybe a 26" front.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
thank you again, I was just hoping for a few profile pictures of others cars to get an idea of proportions I like. I am thinking of going with a 30" rear tire and maybe a 26" front.
Here's sum shots of 25" and 32 1/2 inch on my 32 Vicky
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	32 Vicky in OK 019.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	58584   Click image for larger version

Name:	32 Vicky in OK 020.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	58585   Click image for larger version

Name:	32 Vicky in OK 021.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	58586  
Old 09-26-2011, 11:10 AM

Last photo:

Tires/wheels

Quote:
One thing I didn't ask are you doing this mostly for the car to look right? Have a rake on it? My 46 has a little rake on it, my 33 is in the weeds, 46 is just tires, 33 is done with both tires and dropped spindles, which lower it 2", and Mustang racing springs, which lower it another 2", then I mounted the body at a little rake by changing how it was mounted.

I know you are running fender less for your other thread, and I have Mustang II on both of these but I will send a picture of each just to give you an idea.
Can't get my 46 to load but I just changed the Fronts last week anyhow.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side veiw 33.2JPG.JPG
Views:	45
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	58588  
Old 09-26-2011, 10:17 PM

tires wheels

thank you bob, I dont only want the look, performance is just as important to me. I do want it to be very proportional though. If you have seen George Poteets miller truck, that is very pleasing to my eyes as far as the tire combo.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.