Title help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2012, 04:21 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Title help

This question is mostly for the illinois folks but any help would be great.
We just purchased a fiberglass 1934 ford with a custom chassis ( no interior, engine or tranny) and it has a california title and the numbers on the plate inside the door and the title match but it is titled as a 1934 ford. I have been told that in illinois, if the vehicle is 1948 or under and has an out off state title that it will have to be taken to springfield and inspected.
I am worried that it is titled as a 1934 ford and not a 34 ford sc (special construction). Its obviously not a real 34 ford. I guess my question is, did we just jump into wasp nest and have to go threw a bunch of crap to get this thing titled.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2012, 05:37 PM
JS-70

Last photo:

The good news is, it has a title. No title, big hassel. So what if it is titled as 34 Ford, all the better. I would just take your paperwork to your local M/V office and see what you need to do from there. Dont offer anymore information than they ask for.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:40 PM

Last photo:

Have you seen/read this?

Title and Registration for Custom Vehicles and Street Rods

Looks to be a bit of paper work, and an inspection, typical revenue generating wastes of time.

Are you saying that the body and frame are aftermarket(but the VIN is actual 34 Ford)?, or just the frame(chassis) is aftermarket with a gennie ford body?
or, its all aftermarket with a VIN from the body builder?

Looks like you'll have to call them and find out how they handle under construction vehicles.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:29 PM

If you can get the title transferred , DO IT NOW , take your bill of sale w/ you , that's the amount you should be taxed on , if you wait , then you'll be taxed on what an appraiser says it's worth [usually after you've put considerable $$$ into it !

dave
Old 08-02-2012, 06:44 PM

If you can get the title transferred , DO IT NOW , take your bill of sale w/ you , that's the amount you should be taxed on , if you wait , then you'll be taxed on what an appraiser says it's worth [usually after you've put considerable $$$ into it !

dave
we plan to send title before we finish it.

Looks to be a bit of paper work, and an inspection, typical revenue generating wastes of time.

Are you saying that the body and frame are aftermarket(but the VIN is actual 34 Ford)?, or just the frame(chassis) is aftermarket with a gennie ford body?
or, its all aftermarket with a VIN from the body builder?

Looks like you'll have to call them and find out how they handle under construction vehicles.

Its a fiberglass body with a custom built from scratch frame, and it has a vin on the body right inside the door an the california title just says 1934 ford searched all over online with no luck to find what a cali title for custom built cars would have on them. i would think it would say more than just "1934 ford"

The good news is, it has a title. No title, big hassel. So what if it is titled as 34 Ford, all the better. I would just take your paperwork to your local M/V office and see what you need to do from there. Dont offer anymore information than they ask for.

I thought the title would be no problem till i heard some horror storys about some new law in illinois about vehicles 1948 and older with outa state titles, some rumors where about dumping $2,000 or more just to get a illinois title
Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 PM

LOL i am a bit new to the site so ill do a better job of adding quotes in the future
Old 08-02-2012, 07:33 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I am from MA but I looked it up for you. It's not hard to look up. Just use your search window.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:25 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

AAA member ?

In some states AAA will do registrations , usually easier than dealing with DMV>
Old 08-04-2012, 06:58 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

title info

If you get any questions about why the car is not finished, your answer is you need to get the title info into their computer system so if it is stolen it can be identified and recovered and you need a title to have insurance to cover it
Old 08-07-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothale View Post
If you get any questions about why the car is not finished, your answer is you need to get the title info into their computer system so if it is stolen it can be identified and recovered and you need a title to have insurance to cover it
i like that, it makes sense to. Ill give it a try.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob View Post
I am from MA but I looked it up for you. It's not hard to look up. Just use your search window.
I have searched all over. If the cali title is a custom build, kit car, or what ever they are titled as im in ok shape. I dont know what is what on the cali title, it says 1934 then a few sections from that it says 2006, is it when it was purchased or built, but as far as i can tell it is titled like it is a real 1934 ford and acording to rumors in illinois, with in the last 2 years or so they passed a new law that if it is a vehicle that is 1948 or older it is to be inspected by the state and it gets anoying and exspensive jus to get it titled. If that is the case than we will probably sell the car and find something else that would be less of a nightmare to get titled.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:28 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyvett View Post
I have searched all over. .

Have you read the page that a few of us have posted for you??

It is from the state of Illinois, and covers exactly what you are asking about, everything is explained, except for non-finished vehicles, which you will have to call to get clarification on.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.