Title for Title - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Title for Title

So, tonight I'm going home from my grandma's and I spot a black early 90s CRX, stock rims w/out centers, rather tasteful exhaust, mandrel bent. Tinted back windows but the driver/pass door and windshield wasn't.

I notice gutted interior, and a preppy guy about 30ish at the wheel.

Yea I screwed around with him (no cutting around or bs like that, just keeping up with him in the same lane and accelerating and coasting and general hinting to the guy), the GA pulled away like nothing but I dont think he was trying. No turbo/SC whine noticed.

Well I get sick after about a mile and a half so I pull into a parking lot to turn around and he comes in and asks if I have my title. I tell him I do (wondering what is this guy thinking), and he asks if I want to race for it, title to title. I ask him what he's running (I do respect built up imports but I prefer 8 cylinders or blown 6 myself), and he repeats his Q, that cycles a couple times and I finally say no, then he leaves.
Why I said no...
1. the mandrel bent exhaust, stock rims, and rather subtle for a honda application tip set off the red light that this wasn't a ricer.
2. stock rims are light and lend to a sleeper appearance
3. gutted interior I doubt saves a lot of weight but CRXs are damn light to begin with
4. no turbo/SC whine=possible nitrous, yet also possible ricer, but other things that hinted at this could be a serious car.
5. he wanted to race title for title. If I had a built 3800SC swapped in, you know I would have... hehehe see vid. And being one who's not much into systems and stuff, that saves some weight.
6. Being a preppy guy about 30, he likely has some $$, so that means he might have some serious speed parts on it.
7. It didn't sound like the usual angry hamster/large mammal mating call/dying moose/fart, but more like a S2000 or another high-performance import, hinting at a possible engine swap from a crappy lo-po honda to a more powerful but still torqueless honda.

See video of what I mean with built 3.8SCs here

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2005, 08:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

You forgot the most important reason. Street racing is ILLEGAL.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:29 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

The many ways to Lose your car...

Doc here,

Centerline:

There many ways to lose your car street racing...

You could lose the race..and forfeit the car...(Dumb..)

You could look in the rear view window and see a Cruiser code 3 lit up and pulling you over, for Exhibition, Speed contest, (possible Eluding If he wants to make an issue of catching up to you....a Felony) and lose the car to the impound, and/or be forced to sell it by the court...(Dumber...)

You could Hit something or someone and be buried in the car....(Dumber than dumb)

You could hit Someone and kill them OR the guy your were racing does so and you get a Conspiracy to Commit Charge..and have to sell the car for "Book Money" during your next 7 years in prison..

You could be lucky and just get a ticket...Only to find your insurance will no longer cover you at the present rate..and not be able to afford to insure or register it..ERGO .. on the Seller block...

You could wreck and injure yourself..not being able to work and drive...have to sell the parts for living money...

Or you could wreck, get sued, and have to liquidate the car as part of a settlement that will take the rest of your life to payoff...

Street Racing JUST isn't worrth it ... to you or your family...

Doc
Old 09-28-2005, 09:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Carburetor
Last journal entry: Clean up
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Life is not a cheesy scripted show on the speed channel on Wednesday nights.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Street Racing makes Baby Jesus cry.

Old 09-28-2005, 11:10 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Dude you are seriously the only person on earth who can tell a car has a mandrel bent exhaust system WITHOUT getting under it.

Considering the cars: being asked to run for titles would have resulted in spontaneous laughter. I'd be game for a few regular light to light runs.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:57 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto Jet

Dude you are seriously the only person on earth who can tell a car has a mandrel bent exhaust system WITHOUT getting under it.

Considering the cars: being asked to run for titles would have resulted in spontaneous laughter. I'd be game for a few regular light to light runs.

Also who the hell has the title of their car in the car?

What are the odds, you take your moms station wagon out and she has the title in the glove box in case you want to race.

It was a great dream, while it lasted.

Last edited by BarryK; 09-29-2005 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:39 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:

My 1st thought too...................

Budget RVs
Old 09-29-2005, 04:42 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK

Also who the hell has the title of their car in the car?

It was a great dream, while it lasted.
I always have my title (ownership) in my glovebox. Up here if we get stopped the cop has to see it and insurance papers. Must be different up here.

Budget RVs
Old 09-29-2005, 06:49 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Ponco, "down here", titles are kept in a file cabinet/lock box/home safe. Current registration cards and proof of insurance are carried in the vehicle or on your person. Besides Doc's list of "what if's" (all realities; we just had a couple of young guys get 7-10 years for street racing that resulted in one hitting an oncoming vehicle, resulting in death to that driver), this could have been an undercover cop being used to nip street racing in the bud. Yeah, I know, entrapment, but you still would be a big time looser. If you just have to flex your macho horsepower and gambling instincts, take it to the track where there are some rules enforcers and semi legality in your favor.

Trees
Old 09-29-2005, 08:52 AM
Bubbles is the girl next door

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

right on trees.

thats not smart keeping it with you.

never race title for title. cash only. through a common holder. like this guy has any honor to give you jhis title when he looses. why would you want a CRX? it can never be someone pulls up in a mercedes sl 600, and wants to run titles. always this BS, and thats all it is. punks man. it must be the last thing in the guys bag of tricks to try and look cool. lets race for titles....what a jack ***.
Old 09-29-2005, 01:56 PM

Last photo:

the whole street racing thing been covered.
So I doubt it was a s2000 swap don't think they will fit.
Odds are if it was a motor swap either somethign like an rsx, or maybe a delsol. Crx's are light doesn't take jack to make them hump. Of course a lil bit of the bottle helps.
Of course there is a kid here with a civic coupe (last bodystyle coupe) that runs on slicks with most of the street level mods done and I regularly hand him his butt NA. He won't even line up next to me at the track after he sees me turn the bottle on. On the plus side is I give him respect and he returns it so all good.
Of course if you wanted to bust his head just say "what are you brian earl spelner or some *****?"
Old 09-29-2005, 05:24 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:

1. I have special powers. hahaha, no, really the car had no back bumper (weight savings I assume ), so i could see one bend, the muffler going across the back of the car and another bend to finish with a fairly tasteful exhaust tip. It appeared to be mandrel bent since it was a lot cleaner looking than the crunch-bends. Apologies for not clarifying that.

2. I did laugh, GrandAms (the v6 ones) are alright but nothing I'd call fast. Plus aren't they more of a family car than a sporty car?

3. Centerline and Doc , I admit, I forgot all about the obvious laws and safety concerns, I will admit that it would be really unsafe to street race on that stretch of road- busy, rough, and a 45mph speed limit. Let alone it's unsafe to street race regardless which is a good point you two made.

And I cannot forget the cops.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:13 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevelleSS_LS6
..... Centerline and Doc , I admit, I forgot all about the obvious laws and safety concerns, I will admit that it would be really unsafe to street race on that stretch of road- busy, rough, and a 45mph speed limit. Let alone it's unsafe to street race regardless which is a good point you two made......:
We've all "been there" but you showed a lot of maturity by turning him down.

Whenever that happens to me I usually do one of two things. I either look at their car very closely then start laughing and just drive away, or I ask them to meet me at the local drag strip. Laughing really pi$$es them off (and amuses me) and I haven't had a single one take me up on the local drag strip yet.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:34 PM
Chief Procrastinator

Last photo:

You could just reach down between the seats, grab your .45 and lay it on the dash and tell him you are going to be busy for a while, but will be happy to meet him later.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.