Todays Gas = Ping? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 07:10 AM
EFI Rules and Carbs Drool

Last wiki edit: The FREE T Bucket plans
Last journal entry: Sold Everything for a new project
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Todays Gas = Ping?

I have the mustang running pretty good. 302, 4bbl Edlebrock, RV cam, Dual Plane intake, enigne was just rebuilt so all pistons and combustion chambers were cleaned of any carbor deposits.

But it pings when I floor it. I have the timing set at factory 6 degrees. People have been telling me it's the gas, unleaded regular with 10% ethanol gas is causing the problem and I need to go to premium. I've been using regular grade up till now. Under normal cruise or moderate acceleration, it's fine. Should I just suck it up and run premium and adjust the timing till the ping goes away?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2008, 07:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead
I have the mustang running pretty good. 302, 4bbl Edlebrock, RV cam, Dual Plane intake, enigne was just rebuilt so all pistons and combustion chambers were cleaned of any carbor deposits.

But it pings when I floor it. I have the timing set at factory 6 degrees. People have been telling me it's the gas, unleaded regular with 10% ethanol gas is causing the problem and I need to go to premium. I've been using regular grade up till now. Under normal cruise or moderate acceleration, it's fine. Should I just suck it up and run premium and adjust the timing till the ping goes away?
Maybe, but that Edelbrock carb may need some 'tuning' as a ping can be a too lean a condition. Do you have the manual that came with the carb? You may need to do some work with the metering rods and their jets along with the little springs under the rod operators. Also, have you put a vacuum gauge on the engine - a vacuum leak will also cause a lean condition. If you hear audible ping during acceleration, there is also the chance that there is ping (detonation) during regular operation you don't hear which you spark plugs will tell you by having white insulators or they may be cracked. Another - if you have too hot of a spark plug, i.e. the originally recommended, and with today's crappy fuel plus a bit more of a camshaft, you might just have to go down one or two steps. Can you adjust the vacuum advance? Are you using ported vacuum - all Fords are supposed to be set up that way? Then there is the dreaded blown head gasket......

Dave W
Old 09-10-2008, 07:40 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

If that is what it takes to fix it I would think you are correct or make a change in the fuel. Pinging should be left to the network guys to find the servers.

I do and always have run high test in my cars they just seem to preform better from idle to wot.

But I have never owned a stone stock car, oops I forgot the company car that runs regular, no pinging on that one but it is not a V8..
Old 09-10-2008, 12:51 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: Found an LQ9 today
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Although E10 technically causes a teeny tiny lean condition, its not known for causing ping because it has a higher octane rating by itself.

I would look to fuel tune as well.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Drive it Like u Stole it!

Wiki Edits: 0

what kind of cyl heads are installed, and what would the static compression ratio be? iron heads and a compression ratio higher than 9.5:1 would probably dictate higher octane fuels, but then comes the consideration of timing - what distributor are you using and how fast/how much does the mechanical advance come in? what year is your mustang and what rear end gears are in it?
Old 09-10-2008, 06:20 PM
I need a bucket of arc sparks

Last wiki edit: How to identify SB Ford heads without pulling them
Last journal entry: trunk floor
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I would hook up a vacuum pump and check the vacuum advance on the distributor to see if it working correctly.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

It's pretty much a stock engine, but had been upgraded with 030 over forged pistons at one time. It has a Crane Fireball H-290 cam in it, Try Wye headers, Edlebrock 600 Performer, Summit dual plane intake and stock 302 heads.

It runs good, no flat spots. The vacuum advance is working and connected to manifold vacuum. Runs about 20" vacuum at idle and it smooth and steady. I can see the mechanical advace work while revving the engine, connecting the vacuum adds more advace.

According to the Edlebrock manual, the springs only come into play at 5" of vacuum. At WOT, that should not be an issue and the metering rods should be all the way up. I'm thinking I might try one step richer rods according to the manual.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:26 PM

Last photo:

First, I would try different fuel, either brand, octane, or real gas.

Second, I wouldn't call a Fireball 290 cam a RV cam. 20 inches of vacuum with a 290* cam sounds way too high. I would expect to see 12.

Third, since this is a rebuild, I would look to the distance the piston is from the head. The squish distance. Often called quench distance.
Generally SBFs are detonation resistent due to the wide squish band around the piston, BUT rebuilder pistons down in the hole combined with a thick gasket can increase the ping. SBF will tolerate about .060 maximum, and run .040 with no ill effects.
Ford built an open chamber small block one year. It was a disaster.

You could have an incorrect ignition advance curve.
...a too hot of spark plug heat range.
...or have Champion spark plugs.

I usually set up old 302s with 14* initial advance, 20* centrifugal starting at 1000 and in by 3000, and vacuum advance as required with manifold vacuum, usually 18* with a start at 8 and full at 2" below cruise.

You CAN dump enough excess fuel in there to overcome pinging....
But why if it is running well. Seek other problems first..
Edelbrock might not be the problem, even though an overly rich Holley might mask the problem.

Last edited by ScoTFrenzel; 09-13-2008 at 01:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2008, 02:28 AM
Drive it Like u Stole it!

if your vacuum advance is connected to manifold vacuum, you're pulling the vac-advance at idle - so your initial timing isnt what you think. try connecting it to PORTED vacuum instead... to even further prove this, disconnect the vac-advance altogether and run the car. drive it around and not just rev it in neutral. the pinging should go away.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:19 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tips. I did fill it up with 93 yesterday and it did help, but WOT takeoffs it still pings bad. Moderate acceleration is fine now though. Sounds like I have more work to do.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:45 PM

When I switched to the %10 Ethanol blend gas my detonation problems went away, I think it burns cleaner also so carbon deposits are not as bad.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.