Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Today's Hot Rodder-a different Culture
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 10:11 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

come on.. the ole days.. people where cheap also.. people didn't open a catolog they looked around for parts on the cheap in the junkyard..
or someones backyard..
todays hotrodder has many bills that in the good ole days.. you didn't have..
todays rodders has a different mindset.. and to sum it up.. I'll quote D/F
"don't let perfect get in the way of done"

some have selective memories.. they forget that a junkyard big block was cheap.. hell 50 bucks would get you the whole car...
so they had more money to spend on goodies..
today that same 454 will be 800+ for a good solid running core..
a th400 rebuilt was like 400.oo in 1991 when I bought one..
today a 700r4 rebuild is 900-2500+
yes todays rodder is different.. most instead of a car that sits for 10 years in a garage, they build it and drive the wheels off it..
we've gone from fairground trailor queens to crosscountry runners..
I'll take todays rodder over the older type that's more than happy to have a big block with a blower and and drive it like a new mother that has the newborn in the car... and then sit in a yawn chair.. or.. are afraid to drive it because it might get a rock chip or hit..
back in the good ole days.. if you where a hard core rodder with a family.. you had some of the same issues with money for car and family needs.. the difference today is.. kids sports are a big cost.. that most towns used to fund , today you want your kid on a hockey team.. some area it's big money.. my neib. it's 700.oo a year+ equipment, then football is another 600.oo
times have changed.. wifes will not put up with a gearhead spending every last dime on a car..
today. people are lucky to have one job nevermind a 2nd for their toy..
allot of people have two jobs just to get by..

times have changed.. for the better.. todays rodder/gearhead are not afraid to use their junk..