Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Today's Hot Rodder-a different Culture
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
I'm a young guy (26 in two weeks) and I'm building what you could call a hotrod on my time, on my dime, with no help monetarily from anyone and supporting my family. I have two kids and yes they come first. My daily driver is a beat up old pick up with a lot of miles, I work blue collar and between me and my wife working full time we make probably less combined than your average college graduate.

My priority is to live in a nice safe neighborhood with a good school, so my rent on my home is about 20% of my annual combined income. Basically I'm not well off. My hotrod is a 1965 chevy pick up that cost less than $1000. It started as an undesirable long bed that needs a lot of paint and bodywork. It came with a mostly stock 1970s 4 bolt 350 and an sm420 transmission. It had no interior to speak of. When I first got it, I knew the basics and I've slowly made improvements to it as I learned more and had the time. It now has a 455 cubic inch Oldsmobile V8 and a 1962 jimmy long bed fleetside. It has a bench seat from a 68-72 truck and the interior chrome from a 63 medium duty truck. I'm working on getting rid of the sm420 and getting my hands on a st10 or muncie.

Everything I couldn't afford, I traded for. I wanted big cubes and found an option. I wanted a stepside and made it work. I wanted something fast and different and now I have it. It's still a work in progress and I'm learning everyday as I go.

My project has not been popular at all among any person I've shared it with, but it's for me so... so be it.

- Cameron
Believe me Valkyrie, You will have a lot more fun and pride in your truck than the guy who spends 100,000 on a rod and goes to a show hoping to win a trophy only to get beat by some fellow that spent 150,000.
The other aspect of this is the comradery you have with the friends you make who share your interests ........both young and old

John L