Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Today's Hot Rodder-a different Culture
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 07:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I learned most of what I know about cars by having to fix whatever broke myself because I couldn't afford to have someone else do it. I wanted a hot rod all my life. About 4 years ago I figured I could finally afford one so I started building my sedan. I say I built it. I bought a rolling chassis from Pete and Jakes, and a fiberglass body from Redneck. It cost more that way, but it didn't take me an extra year (or more) to end up with a chassis and suspension I could trust, and a straight body. I'm not good at cutting, forming and welding sheet metal, but I can build anything out of fiberglass. I bought lots of parts from catalogs - and each and every one of them had to be modified or adapted to my car. I say I built it. I went to the junk yards and the pick-n-pulls and I guess you other guys beat me to the good stuff, because I found nothing I needed. I worked on my sedan for 4 years getting it together and everything working as it should (with lots of help from forums like this one). I had someone else paint it (after I prepped it) because I'm not set up to paint here and couldn't find a booth to rent. I still say I built it. I am in the process of having someone finish my interior too. I sew, but not well enough. My car wasn't cheap, but it was built on a budget. A big part of why it took 4 years to build this car was waiting until I could afford the next step or part. I drove it for the last year with towels for seat covers while I saved for upholstery. The 'traditional' guys probably don't like my car. I don't care, I didn't build it for them.