Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Today's Hot Rodder-a different Culture
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
what a snob..
look around, buddy.. most YOUNG people.. are working 2 jobs IF they can find it.. and those that have a college ed.. have a debt bill thats mighty large...
funny you bring this up.. that some should stay on the porch..
in your old fart days..
you rodded, then when times got tuff your generation mostly QUIT!!!!!!!!!! as life got in the way kids/family/kids college cost , then came back
todays rodder, thinks budget, and doesn't quit.. make do with what little they got.. even if it means his rod is a mid 80's wagon.. so the baby seats have a place..
your older generation was great for the "baby on the way,must sell"
funny thing is.. most that I've talked to that are in the club my dads in.. all built on a budget in the 50's
faulting anyone because they want to build on a budget and keep a fun car while having a life outside a car.. is shortsighted..
at least this group isn't so fast to walk away from the hobby for 20-30 years, they are try'n to find a balance.. and that requires a budget..
yes, your point of the 150 channel cable could be a cost that could go.. but a cell phone, not a chance.. not in todays jobs..
guess it's a crime to have a life outside the car hobby..
and BTW I've had 2 or 3 jobs since I was 15 untill my health and doctors said I had to stop that madness..
I find it funny that the old farts call the young lazy. when they where young, the sidewalks closed up at 8 and working sundays was something most didn't do..
employers didn't schedule you 6 days a week and 3-4 hour shifts.
you had days off.. and normal shifts..
oh and go price out what insurance is a year for those without 5 years driving..
bet today they pay more in one year than you did in your first ten even taking the inflation out of that mix..
I just this year had to sell my dream car 1970 chevelle, sold all three,, it was house or the cars.. I picked roof over thy head.. and I'll make do with my 71c-10
my 496 has been in the works since 2002(looked at the receipts for the parts) and I almost 11 years later have all the goodies, it was for my chevelle but will go in the truck..
I could've built a 454 with iron stock heads, and I should have.. but I wanted a bbc that I could beat the living crap out of and it ask for more.. that took money.. and lots of it.. there is a good 10k in the basement and thats before one bolt is turned..
those that walked away from the hobby for 20+ years, really have nothing to say to guys/gals that are sticking it out and doing so with a budget.. and really the subject matter is total b/s as swaps meets have been around forever.. more like selective memories
First-you can stop with any name calling.Second,I've been in hot rodding my entire life.Third,it's a life style.Fourth,guys my age group worked 13 12hr days on and one off.For me personally,the tours I worked was 16 to 18 hr days and if your where lucky one travel day.Rock bands had to book as many dates as they could while the most recent release was hot in support of the record label and because the record sales from the record company didn't pay swot,the live shows is where the money was made.So your clueless about my age group's working situation.Fifth,I came out of U.B.@Buffalo.Yeah I do know about loans.From two grown boys I have 6 grandkids.But I have been in rodding my entire life.Sixth,ya wanta guess for over 20yrs who was a vendor of SBC's at swap meets???. I know the market better than most,for my returning customers,never stop amazing me how they always came up with the asking price.All high end parts,no junk.

So no,you not have lived in that time period don't get to tell me what it was like. Before you go back to the name calling,(snob/old fart for one),alittle respect is in order.We paved to path for much of what you do today.

I would be willing to bet that cell you absolutely have to have is all of when it's all said and done,$500 bucks in your hand.More per yr................But well beyond the kids,the house,food,you find a way to pay for it.Hum mm-choices huh.

Last edited by 1Gary; 11-20-2012 at 07:37 AM.