Today's Hot Rodder-a different Culture - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 10:41 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
I think one of the biggest differences between today and years past is we now have an option, we can spend boat loads of money building something out of catalogs or we can build it as cars were built decades ago using passion and ingenuity. It's hard to compare today's car builder from one 40 or 50 years ago when today EVERYTHING is available from so many sources it isn't even funny. You don't have to make ANYTHING, you could open up a catalog or hop on the net and find just about anything you would ever need for your build, be it a fan shroud to a chopped top 32 Ford body.

Years ago a car was built from what ever you could find, and your passion and ingenuity. But there wasn't a choice, you did that or you played a guitar or grew roses, there wasn't a choice. So it's awful hard to compare the two eras.

Brian

but by the same token, back then the raw materials where EVERYWHERE..
you didn't need a catolog for a 9",, you found many in the j/y.. and brought a tapemeasure and found one that would work..
now try to find one in a yard is not all that easy.. for some that are spoiled in the dry climates.. you still might be able to.. but work north and . good luck
and the dry climate junk yards.. know what they got.. getting a 50.oo or 200.oo car from a yard is a thing of the past..

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 01:17 PM

Last photo:

I guess this is the latest "You kids get off my lawn!" thread.
I wonder what the average age of the membership here is. Someone should do a poll. I bet the bell curve skews high.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,169 Times in 1,031 Posts
I hope I don't sound like that! My point is, there is a difference and that is all there is too it, these parts are available now, SOOOOOOO things are different. It isn't anyone's fault, nor is it that much of a bad thing, it's just different.

Brian
Old 11-19-2012, 01:42 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendus View Post
I guess this is the latest "You kids get off my lawn!" thread.
I wonder what the average age of the membership here is. Someone should do a poll. I bet the bell curve skews high.
I don't think this is a get off my lawn thread, I think maybe a little bit of generalizing like a lot of older adults did when I was younger with long hair (God got me back, don't have much now)...It's to bad that some people don't appreciate the good, honest, hard working and genuine good nature'd youth as much as they like to rag on the ones that aren't in that category, same thing when I was younger.

As far as the average age of the membership here, I agree that it would skew high on the bell curve. Thank God. There's a lot everybody, no matter what age, can learn from the experience people have on this site.

Ray
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

I remember when I had to walk to school in the snow, up hill both ways!

Brian
Old 11-19-2012, 01:48 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Actually, we just did the age survey on my forum....The older guys won hands down

Which Age Group Dominates OnRod [45 vote(s)]

15 to 20
2.2%
20 to 30
4.4%
30 to 40
6.7%
40 to 50
24.4%
50 to 60
35.6%
60 to70
22.2%
Ancient
4.4%

Not sure if its all that accurate though....just seems to me that the older guys have more time and tend to post more....and the older guys like the polls/surveys more....younger guys cant be bothered

Budget RVs
Old 11-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Seems we did one here too....same result

Age poll

Budget RVs
Old 11-19-2012, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

I don't want to get too far into this but.... I have 2 kids and a wife to think of FIRST the Hot Rod comes second. If it comes down to a decent pair of shoes for the kids or a new set of plugs guess who wins.

The thing that really strikes me is this. A couple months ago I got a whole stack of Rod & Custom magazines from 64-72 and almost every issue has some form of budget concious information, weather it be someone braging about how cheaply they made their rod or articles on scrounging parts and talking down farmers for vintage tin. Budget has always been a primary concern for Hot Rodders. This explains why not everyone has Blown 426 Hemi's in their rods.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxllmm4 View Post
This explains why not everyone has Blown 426 Hemi's in their rods.
I could have one if I wanted it, I just don't like them, their icky.

Brian
Old 11-19-2012, 02:48 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62 View Post
Seems we did one here too....same result

Age poll
Not very surprising. I have an older friend (I'm 46 and he's pushing 60) and whenever we go to car shows together it's primarily his age bracket who are attending. Hopefully when our generation takes over we'll drop the 50's car show music! But that's another thread entirely.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:03 PM

Last journal entry: 27
Last photo:

unless you are a billionaire
anything in your life has a budget.
x set aside for the mortage
y for utilities
etc.
i built my car on a $10 hourly wage
damn straight i know what a budget is.
maybe if i lived in my moms basement and used daddys allowance money
no
i would STILL have a budget.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:25 PM
Die standin' up

Last journal entry: geezer69 nova 63
Last photo:

dig it out cheap or i cant play. some horse tradin maby.the kids are gettin lazy cause we crammed all them gadgets in their faces to keep busy so we could be 2 income families. and now 2 incomes aint enough. hahaha. i dont see a fix either.theres not enough time spent with um. no real guidance.thats kinda behind the school violence in a way.some of them kids are just lost.emagin tryin to be kid today.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:31 PM

Last journal entry: 27
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
I agree 100%...

Times are changing for sure.. Kids today just don't want to work for ANYTHING... Sad but true... I just don't see the changes for the good..

If your going to do sometime.. Do it right the first time..
yes
this is a brand new complaint.

QUOTE:
"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

UNQUOTE
Old 11-19-2012, 04:58 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

I'm a young guy (26 in two weeks) and I'm building what you could call a hotrod on my time, on my dime, with no help monetarily from anyone and supporting my family. I have two kids and yes they come first. My daily driver is a beat up old pick up with a lot of miles, I work blue collar and between me and my wife working full time we make probably less combined than your average college graduate.

My priority is to live in a nice safe neighborhood with a good school, so my rent on my home is about 20% of my annual combined income. Basically I'm not well off. My hotrod is a 1965 chevy pick up that cost less than $1000. It started as an undesirable long bed that needs a lot of paint and bodywork. It came with a mostly stock 1970s 4 bolt 350 and an sm420 transmission. It had no interior to speak of. When I first got it, I knew the basics and I've slowly made improvements to it as I learned more and had the time. It now has a 455 cubic inch Oldsmobile V8 and a 1962 jimmy long bed fleetside. It has a bench seat from a 68-72 truck and the interior chrome from a 63 medium duty truck. I'm working on getting rid of the sm420 and getting my hands on a st10 or muncie.

Everything I couldn't afford, I traded for. I wanted big cubes and found an option. I wanted a stepside and made it work. I wanted something fast and different and now I have it. It's still a work in progress and I'm learning everyday as I go.

My project has not been popular at all among any person I've shared it with, but it's for me so... so be it.

- Cameron
Old 11-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Slow but willing learner

Last photo:

Thanked 1,352 Times in 1,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
I'm a young guy (26 in two weeks) and I'm building what you could call a hotrod on my time, on my dime, with no help monetarily from anyone and supporting my family. I have two kids and yes they come first. My daily driver is a beat up old pick up with a lot of miles, I work blue collar and between me and my wife working full time we make probably less combined than your average college graduate.

My priority is to live in a nice safe neighborhood with a good school, so my rent on my home is about 20% of my annual combined income. Basically I'm not well off. My hotrod is a 1965 chevy pick up that cost less than $1000. It started as an undesirable long bed that needs a lot of paint and bodywork. It came with a mostly stock 1970s 4 bolt 350 and an sm420 transmission. It had no interior to speak of. When I first got it, I knew the basics and I've slowly made improvements to it as I learned more and had the time. It now has a 455 cubic inch Oldsmobile V8 and a 1962 jimmy long bed fleetside. It has a bench seat from a 68-72 truck and the interior chrome from a 63 medium duty truck. I'm working on getting rid of the sm420 and getting my hands on a st10 or muncie.

Everything I couldn't afford, I traded for. I wanted big cubes and found an option. I wanted a stepside and made it work. I wanted something fast and different and now I have it. It's still a work in progress and I'm learning everyday as I go.

My project has not been popular at all among any person I've shared it with, but it's for me so... so be it.

- Cameron
Believe me Valkyrie, You will have a lot more fun and pride in your truck than the guy who spends 100,000 on a rod and goes to a show hoping to win a trophy only to get beat by some fellow that spent 150,000.
The other aspect of this is the comradery you have with the friends you make who share your interests ........both young and old

John L
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.