Today's Hot Rodder-a different Culture - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 05:50 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
yes
this is a brand new complaint.

QUOTE:
"I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on
frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond
words... When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and
respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly wise
[disrespectful] and impatient of restraint" (Hesiod, 8th century BC).

UNQUOTE
Unclebill.. I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at with this.. I don't want to read it wrong in stick my foot in my mouth again..

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 05:58 PM
Booty Time, Across the USA

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

On a budget, you cannot do it any other way. $2k should make a fine engine that lasts and makes more than enough power. If you need to build a 10k monster maybe you need to prioritize.

Some poeple are ill from high society, their means out shines the status quo. Fine go be king. You will not have my freindship.

Dont convice somebody they have to spend more to get it right.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:59 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Guys-a MRI was done on people while on a cell phone.Yes cell phones is on of my pet peeves.The results was activity the same as when of a illegal additive drug.All too many kids can't be separated from their cell or I-Pod.
Given my background of never making a living conventionally in the music business and then in performance parts,there is no way I would rag on the youth just because they are different.When I was young I did things to make a living so far from normal I never hear the end of you can't make money that way.But I did.

One of the most respectful,honest,delicate young people I have had the pleasure of meeting and being around are kids that came from a family the blended drag racing as apart of their family.The whole family was involved in the racing efforts.Everyone came to the track.Mom was supportive of it too.Mom and Dad met at the track.Winning was important,but win or lose the time spent together was more important at the end of the day.The kids grew up with it around them their whole lives.Everyone contributed not needing what other families had or trying to keep up with the Jone's so to speak.
It's those electronic dependent with sky high costs and then wanting to be involved in building a car too that I am talking about.It's those guys who believe they can't live without the excessive's and then come on for god's sake a car forum crying broke.Sorry for being blunt,but it's that guy who chose the wrong mate in a wife telling us his wife won't let him spend more than X that thinks involvement in cars will be the families down fall.And it's those youth that thinks a muffler,radio/huge amp and some plastic decorations makes a hot rod.
Is hot rodding something I do OR is who I am??. Well like bikers,it is who I am.Never thought I could acquire the tools and equipment that I have currently,but somehow I figured a way.Money forcing me to do parts of a build that I don't like,but I learn how because of that.A skill set??. For me that isn't a limitation.Short of physical limitations,I think like for me a skill set is a open door without limits as long as your willing to learn.

I'll give you a example of a car in my past in the early days.It was a 57 D/MP.Did we go to the junkyard for the 327 and four speed??. We sure did.But when it came to filling the 327 with TRW pistons,M/T aluminum rods,Isky roller cam,Lakewood bellhousing,Tunnel ram, Headman headers,I busted my butt to get the money to pay for that and more.Somehow I figured a way................

Oh yeah-I'm tell the poster the wages back then where a bad joke.The parts costs are and where relevant to the wage scale.Back then and now as well.Go ahead and build a 5.3.The wealth of them is about the same as the 327's in pick and pulls.Core charges relevancy is about the same and the aftermarket parts are about the same to today's pay scale.Believe it or not.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:27 PM

Last journal entry: 27
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS View Post
Unclebill.. I'm not sure I understand what you are getting at with this.. I don't want to read it wrong in stick my foot in my mouth again..
i just was reminded of a 1200 year old quote complaining about the youth of today. (actually 1200 years ago )
Old 11-19-2012, 06:36 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
i just was reminded of a 1200 year old quote complaining about the youth of today. (actually 1200 years ago )
Guess I stuck that foot in a little further..
Old 11-19-2012, 07:00 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Well 1Gary, you vented, and you know what I think is a PITA....Debit cards...yes debit cards...they are slower than cash, now with the "chip" there even slower, then you get the person who can't remember their pin number, or they try 3 or 4 cards until they find one that has enough cash in the account...I go to the store, put my cash down and I'm done...I don't need a pin number for cash or 4 different cards to get to my cash...I do it the old fashion way, I go to the bank and get it, just like the old days when if people needed money for the weekend they went to the bank on Friday...I know everybody has a credit card and or a debit card, you need one...I don't know but, can you even get a bank account any more with out getting some kind of card?

We are so reliant on electronic technology today that the personal part of our lives has hit the ditch...I used to get P.O.ed at my daughter for being on the phone for hours...at least then they talked...now it's worse, they don't talk anymore, it's all texting.

1Gary, I bet you feel better, I know I do.

Ray
Old 11-19-2012, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

Cannot get into texting. The younger guys that text dont have the balls to say it person.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:11 PM

Last photo:

I learned most of what I know about cars by having to fix whatever broke myself because I couldn't afford to have someone else do it. I wanted a hot rod all my life. About 4 years ago I figured I could finally afford one so I started building my sedan. I say I built it. I bought a rolling chassis from Pete and Jakes, and a fiberglass body from Redneck. It cost more that way, but it didn't take me an extra year (or more) to end up with a chassis and suspension I could trust, and a straight body. I'm not good at cutting, forming and welding sheet metal, but I can build anything out of fiberglass. I bought lots of parts from catalogs - and each and every one of them had to be modified or adapted to my car. I say I built it. I went to the junk yards and the pick-n-pulls and I guess you other guys beat me to the good stuff, because I found nothing I needed. I worked on my sedan for 4 years getting it together and everything working as it should (with lots of help from forums like this one). I had someone else paint it (after I prepped it) because I'm not set up to paint here and couldn't find a booth to rent. I still say I built it. I am in the process of having someone finish my interior too. I sew, but not well enough. My car wasn't cheap, but it was built on a budget. A big part of why it took 4 years to build this car was waiting until I could afford the next step or part. I drove it for the last year with towels for seat covers while I saved for upholstery. The 'traditional' guys probably don't like my car. I don't care, I didn't build it for them.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:19 PM

Last photo:

We are all on the same playground. Got different games going on, different crowds, age groups. In a working mans hobby, if you have ability it will be recognized and appreciated.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Bye Jerks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
$2k should make a fine engine that lasts and makes more than enough power.
I disagree, my friend.

I couldn't even buy a pair of decent aluminum heads for that price.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Hey Sedanbob...You and I have had this conversation before and I and I agree, you built it for you and nobody else. You twisted wrenches and put the vehicle together the way you wanted it when you had the means...but most important is the heart, passion and sole that is still going into it.

That's Hot Rodding.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 632Mantis View Post
I disagree, my friend.

I couldn't even buy a pair of decent aluminum heads for that price.

What do Aluminum heads have to do with making power?

In july I bought a B+M 144 roots for under $800 ebay. Rebuilt it new gaskets and bearings in a weekend. Sold it to a freind for a $1000. My 85 C10 is currently E forced and that is my daily driver.

A blower will destroy a set of aluminum heads on power per dollar potential.

I dont even consider aluminum heads as essential to any build.

Your go big or go home ideals, do NOT sit well with me. Keep talking that way and I may grab a pair of bowling shoes and give your rich ***** a kick.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:35 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
I can't tell you guys the number of times on here and other forums I read about a guy building something and the words "cheap and budget" creep into the post.I come from a generation where if you building a car,that was the number one priority.That you would skimp and work two jobs and do side work to afford the best out there.Now today's hot rodder tell me things where so much cheaper back them.The is just pure horse hockey.When I was coming up as a hot rodder,what we made for wages was kind of the same relationship to the cost of parts as it is today.The idea of a "budget" never came into the conversion as building a car.In fact it was a joke.

As I try to advise guys(and no I don't accept a game plan of a budget),it almost like I have to be a life's coach.All the frills of cell phones-texting-150 channels of cable TV that they just can't live without certainly makes we wonder about their level of commitment and when you tell them they have to work maybe two jobs,it like your talking a foreign language.When you tell them about the shiny parts ads for bottom of the barrel parts is more ad money then substance in the parts being sold,they reply like it just can't be,because the brand name is being advertized in a car magazine.Yeah those imported cheap junk(not because they are imported,but the quality is really substandard)

I have fought my whole life to keep my mind youthful.After all a 1/3 of it was making money mixing music for heavy metal/rock bands on tour.You had to have that outlook in order to make a living.

But damm it,today's hot rodder is a different culture wanting quick answers and short cuts and cheap,cheap,cheap.Not at all willing to pay the dues to get-er-done.Not at all willing to take on a long term project investing when money is available.Not at all willing to work harder like a second job.For those who have no money at all and not a prospect of getting any anytime soon,they shouldn't be messing with cars in the first place.Survival should be the priority.But for those who I am critical about,my advise is to take up:

BOWLING.IT TAKES A BALL AND SHOES AND YOUR ALL SET.

Sell what ever project you have and parts for it,walk away never to return.This just isn't for you.......................
what a snob..
look around, buddy.. most YOUNG people.. are working 2 jobs IF they can find it.. and those that have a college ed.. have a debt bill thats mighty large...
funny you bring this up.. that some should stay on the porch..
in your old fart days..
you rodded, then when times got tuff your generation mostly QUIT!!!!!!!!!! as life got in the way kids/family/kids college cost , then came back
todays rodder, thinks budget, and doesn't quit.. make do with what little they got.. even if it means his rod is a mid 80's wagon.. so the baby seats have a place..
your older generation was great for the "baby on the way,must sell"
funny thing is.. most that I've talked to that are in the club my dads in.. all built on a budget in the 50's
faulting anyone because they want to build on a budget and keep a fun car while having a life outside a car.. is shortsighted..
at least this group isn't so fast to walk away from the hobby for 20-30 years, they are try'n to find a balance.. and that requires a budget..
yes, your point of the 150 channel cable could be a cost that could go.. but a cell phone, not a chance.. not in todays jobs..
guess it's a crime to have a life outside the car hobby..
and BTW I've had 2 or 3 jobs since I was 15 untill my health and doctors said I had to stop that madness..
I find it funny that the old farts call the young lazy. when they where young, the sidewalks closed up at 8 and working sundays was something most didn't do..
employers didn't schedule you 6 days a week and 3-4 hour shifts.
you had days off.. and normal shifts..
oh and go price out what insurance is a year for those without 5 years driving..
bet today they pay more in one year than you did in your first ten even taking the inflation out of that mix..
I just this year had to sell my dream car 1970 chevelle, sold all three,, it was house or the cars.. I picked roof over thy head.. and I'll make do with my 71c-10
my 496 has been in the works since 2002(looked at the receipts for the parts) and I almost 11 years later have all the goodies, it was for my chevelle but will go in the truck..
I could've built a 454 with iron stock heads, and I should have.. but I wanted a bbc that I could beat the living crap out of and it ask for more.. that took money.. and lots of it.. there is a good 10k in the basement and thats before one bolt is turned..
those that walked away from the hobby for 20+ years, really have nothing to say to guys/gals that are sticking it out and doing so with a budget.. and really the subject matter is total b/s as swaps meets have been around forever.. more like selective memories

Last edited by gearheadslife; 11-20-2012 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 02:36 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
What do Aluminum heads have to do with making power?

nothing, as an iron head cast the same as the alum will always make more power
Old 11-20-2012, 07:31 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
what a snob..
look around, buddy.. most YOUNG people.. are working 2 jobs IF they can find it.. and those that have a college ed.. have a debt bill thats mighty large...
funny you bring this up.. that some should stay on the porch..
in your old fart days..
you rodded, then when times got tuff your generation mostly QUIT!!!!!!!!!! as life got in the way kids/family/kids college cost , then came back
todays rodder, thinks budget, and doesn't quit.. make do with what little they got.. even if it means his rod is a mid 80's wagon.. so the baby seats have a place..
your older generation was great for the "baby on the way,must sell"
funny thing is.. most that I've talked to that are in the club my dads in.. all built on a budget in the 50's
faulting anyone because they want to build on a budget and keep a fun car while having a life outside a car.. is shortsighted..
at least this group isn't so fast to walk away from the hobby for 20-30 years, they are try'n to find a balance.. and that requires a budget..
yes, your point of the 150 channel cable could be a cost that could go.. but a cell phone, not a chance.. not in todays jobs..
guess it's a crime to have a life outside the car hobby..
and BTW I've had 2 or 3 jobs since I was 15 untill my health and doctors said I had to stop that madness..
I find it funny that the old farts call the young lazy. when they where young, the sidewalks closed up at 8 and working sundays was something most didn't do..
employers didn't schedule you 6 days a week and 3-4 hour shifts.
you had days off.. and normal shifts..
oh and go price out what insurance is a year for those without 5 years driving..
bet today they pay more in one year than you did in your first ten even taking the inflation out of that mix..
I just this year had to sell my dream car 1970 chevelle, sold all three,, it was house or the cars.. I picked roof over thy head.. and I'll make do with my 71c-10
my 496 has been in the works since 2002(looked at the receipts for the parts) and I almost 11 years later have all the goodies, it was for my chevelle but will go in the truck..
I could've built a 454 with iron stock heads, and I should have.. but I wanted a bbc that I could beat the living crap out of and it ask for more.. that took money.. and lots of it.. there is a good 10k in the basement and thats before one bolt is turned..
those that walked away from the hobby for 20+ years, really have nothing to say to guys/gals that are sticking it out and doing so with a budget.. and really the subject matter is total b/s as swaps meets have been around forever.. more like selective memories
First-you can stop with any name calling.Second,I've been in hot rodding my entire life.Third,it's a life style.Fourth,guys my age group worked 13 12hr days on and one off.For me personally,the tours I worked was 16 to 18 hr days and if your where lucky one travel day.Rock bands had to book as many dates as they could while the most recent release was hot in support of the record label and because the record sales from the record company didn't pay swot,the live shows is where the money was made.So your clueless about my age group's working situation.Fifth,I came out of U.B.@Buffalo.Yeah I do know about loans.From two grown boys I have 6 grandkids.But I have been in rodding my entire life.Sixth,ya wanta guess for over 20yrs who was a vendor of SBC's at swap meets???. I know the market better than most,for my returning customers,never stop amazing me how they always came up with the asking price.All high end parts,no junk.

So no,you not have lived in that time period don't get to tell me what it was like. Before you go back to the name calling,(snob/old fart for one),alittle respect is in order.We paved to path for much of what you do today.

I would be willing to bet that cell you absolutely have to have is all of when it's all said and done,$500 bucks in your hand.More per yr................But well beyond the kids,the house,food,you find a way to pay for it.Hum mm-choices huh.

Last edited by 1Gary; 11-20-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.