Today's Hot Rodder-a different Culture - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Cannot get into texting. The younger guys that text dont have the balls to say it person.
Actually you don't understand texting. My 60 year old mother didn't either until she actually started doing it. It's an efficient way to share information quickly.

Advertisement
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendus View Post
Actually you don't understand texting. My 60 year old mother didn't either until she actually started doing it. It's an efficient way to share information quickly.

Just tells me that my thumbs are too fat.......

Budget RVs
Old 11-20-2012, 09:55 AM
He got me, like he got you

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Gary, you are just rattling your tail. I worked 24 hr shifts in my 20's, 24 on 48 off in the worst part of the city. Sometimes 48hr on a duty to act hold over no show. Only made 3.55/hr or whatever, no OT. Honestly covered in blood, sweat, and puke. I continued that till 2001 happened. Most off my paramedic freinds said they were called to duty to join the service. Never came back. If 3.55 /hr is your country's call for you to come fight for its wealthy, screw it. Dont delude yourself with a nostalgic homeland that isnt anymore. It is a global playground. The 90's killed the nice guy, and girl next door.

Its an awesome adventure. Be tough and try everything. I have been to prison, hawaii, mexico, its every man for himself. Nobody gives a damn, anyway.

Gary, you say that you worked as the sound guy. You were lucky enough to get someone to pay you for listening to their music and turn a knob. If you have been into "playing" live music you know the freq pockets for each instrument. There is a seceret to live shows I shouldnt reveal, but depending on the size of event. It is not that live.

Ren, you should see the stuff my neice gets text. Symbols and numbers to pictorialize suggestive activities. Back in the they day we said it to them in person. Honest and intense.

Last edited by spinn; 11-20-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,219 Times in 1,075 Posts
Wow, guys, this has turned into a "You kids get off my lawn" thread!

Guys, there is a very gradual change in every single thing in our society. It is like my gray hair, it came along so slowly I didn't even notice it! If I would have woke up one morning after going to bed with a full head of dark brown hair and looked in the mirror to see what I have today I would have had a heart attack!

But that isn't want happen, it happen very slowly and to say "these kids of today" are so different than what we were is true, but WE were so different than the generation before and the one before that and the one before that and the one before that, you get the idea.

Were we that much "worse" than the one before us? No, so why are is the current generation so much worse than we were? What makes us so superior as to say such a thing?

Brian
Old 11-20-2012, 11:08 AM
The Dude

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
I can't tell you guys the number of times on here and other forums I read about a guy building something and the words "cheap and budget" creep into the post.I come from a generation where if you building a car,that was the number one priority.That you would skimp and work two jobs and do side work to afford the best out there.Now today's hot rodder tell me things where so much cheaper back them.The is just pure horse hockey.When I was coming up as a hot rodder,what we made for wages was kind of the same relationship to the cost of parts as it is today.The idea of a "budget" never came into the conversion as building a car.In fact it was a joke.

As I try to advise guys(and no I don't accept a game plan of a budget),it almost like I have to be a life's coach.All the frills of cell phones-texting-150 channels of cable TV that they just can't live without certainly makes we wonder about their level of commitment and when you tell them they have to work maybe two jobs,it like your talking a foreign language.When you tell them about the shiny parts ads for bottom of the barrel parts is more ad money then substance in the parts being sold,they reply like it just can't be,because the brand name is being advertized in a car magazine.Yeah those imported cheap junk(not because they are imported,but the quality is really substandard)

I have fought my whole life to keep my mind youthful.After all a 1/3 of it was making money mixing music for heavy metal/rock bands on tour.You had to have that outlook in order to make a living.

But damm it,today's hot rodder is a different culture wanting quick answers and short cuts and cheap,cheap,cheap.Not at all willing to pay the dues to get-er-done.Not at all willing to take on a long term project investing when money is available.Not at all willing to work harder like a second job.For those who have no money at all and not a prospect of getting any anytime soon,they shouldn't be messing with cars in the first place.Survival should be the priority.But for those who I am critical about,my advise is to take up:

BOWLING.IT TAKES A BALL AND SHOES AND YOUR ALL SET.

Sell what ever project you have and parts for it,walk away never to return.This just isn't for you.......................
Wow dude you have a lot of issues!

Maybe back in your day it was possible for a car to be number one priority but Not for my generation!

I am 20 years old and at one point I worked two jobs! I worked as a Club Promoter and a Free Lance writer. Sadly the night club I promoted for went out of business back in May and I now only work as a freelance writer which pays peanuts. I have College tuition to pay for, which is my number 1 priority not my car.
I don't have 150 Cable channels (don't even have cable), I have to cell phone because I have no home phone and I need a phone for work so that is also a priority.
I have been looking for a second freelance job with no luck so far.
I currently have an 86 Camaro Iroc-Z completely stock. Why? Because my priroities come first (College, Insurance, gas) that I don't have money for parts. Also unlike you I don't have Mommy and Daddy to buy everything I ask for.

Adults like you piss me off, grow up with everything handed to you then call kids lazy who work two jobs just to get by. DO you even know whats like to grow up in my generation? With a lack of jobs, even business degrees almost guarantee unemployment these days!

How about this, you sell all of your cars, parts and call it quits. Hot Rodding is not for *******s like you.
The Following User Says Thank You to MXrider13 For This Useful Post:
gearheadslife (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 11:15 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Since this has turned into a pissing match its done......If this crap starts up on other threads, suspensions will take place....

Budget RVs
Closed Thread

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.