Tom Mitchell 1968 Camaro - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 07:11 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tom Mitchell 1968 Camaro

I have a 68 Camaro.This is my fourth camaro in 27 years.. I had a 69 then a 68 then a 67, now back to a 68. I have questions about getting the motor and tranny to work together, what parts to ask for and know what parts are needed. The car came as a roller, with a saginaw 4 speed, no motor .I bought a 1961 283 from a wrecker.I later noticed the block may be cracked. it came with a huge transmission.As I recall I thought it was a Dana with pto or transbrake.A big doughnut on the back of it.
I was told the motor had recently been ran.I knew I had been duped when I found mice fluff in the exhaust manifolds.There was a chicken bone on top with chew marks and pine cones stuck behind the water pump pulley and behind the pump itself.It looked fairly clean though and all externals were present.,any running pre 86 small blocks are getting rare around here that I can afford so I bought it on a 10 degree day 50 miles away for 275. I figured out i needed the bellhousing to it because the starter mounts to it.Had to go back. And after figuring out there is no mounting holes for power steering I gave up on the idea. I then waited weeks and found a 350 from a 71 Impala in much better shape.I'm hoping with a few questions answered I can put my drive train in the car.Thanks, Tom

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 07:50 AM
Cruzin w/Elvis in Bigfoots UFO

Last photo:

Welcome Tom, the Camaro sounds like a great project. Sounds like you did better the 2nd time around with the 350.

I think I've seen one of those truck transmissions like you had attached to the 283, that's a monster!
Old 11-20-2011, 09:46 AM

Last photo:

Hello Rustydawg

Yes Rusty,Those Danas are way too big for a Camaro or any car.When I saw the engine I was very happy it had signature valve covers and correct oil fill tube.It would have almost looked stock in my 68.This engine was pulling cars while pushing a low cab forward full size rig.You know that little 283 was made to have some snot.I got it home and put it on a stand weeks later when I finally got one for 25 bucks.Spring came, I got some sunlight on it and noticed a small bulge on the drivers side of the block.It don't look like it leaked.Unless it happened after it's last run, which was probably 20 or more years ago.I never had an engine apart,so I used it as my guinea pig and pulled the top half off.Thought about selling the heads and regain some of my cash but am a pack rat and never let antique parts go.I get attached to them.They are in what seems to be nice shape.One rocker looks newer so It did have someone fixing it at one time.i have a video of the engine.It was seized up too. I thought.
I checked that at the junkyard but thought it was spinning.It was just the belt spinning the other parts.The junk man saw me coming, "oh ya, she'll run,oh ya,it's not seized, oh ya,we drained most the oil and that pallet will fit in the side door of your conversion van,,etc..It did not.we had to cut it. It fell over half way home and I was lucky I had cardboard down.I ran into a store and got paper towels in the nick of time.oil was headed for the rug.

I get blinded by excitement when it comes to this stuff.I never learn.
http://<a href="http://www.youtube.c...W6vmmchFTI</a>

Anyway I'm glad I found what seems to be a better choice in the 350.If I knew just what motor mount parts I need and can figure out what parts I have that will work together.I'd be confident to buy them. I'm sure it's so simple most the rodders on here will not even reply as they do not want to associate with a no mind caveman that never installed his own engine,I need an exploded view and be able to identify what motor mount parts are needed and how to order the correct stuff needed,right down to the right size grade 8 bolts.It looks as though the half on the 350 is much bigger than the bottom half on the car and what is the part number that goes in between as the rubber mount?I 'm guessing the brackets on the 350 engine are for a truck only as it came out of a 75 Blazer last.The 283 mounting parts left are there , I may be able to use those bolts and rubber.They don't look cracked and dried.I uploaded some more pics in case anyone knows or didn't know what I'm describing. I'm on a very low budget.I actually should be fixing my 95 chevy van that needs inspection in 9 days, but I'm determined to get this motor in and the car driving by spring.I have some nice old headers , Hope they fit also.They came with the car as well as the saginaw and aluminum bell housing,So I'm hoping they will.Thanks in advance for any and all info on this soon to be smokin' machine!
Old 11-20-2011, 10:10 AM

Last photo:

my 68 Camaro parts questions

1968 Camaro body
1971 350 was last in a 75 Blazer and has the Blazer top end on it and large motor mount brackets,
4 speed saginaw might be original,
1961 283 wrecker flywheel and bell housing. (flywheel may be too big for aluminum bell housing).
and not sure if starter still can be mounted to block or should it mount to bell housing?)If I used 283 cast iron bell housing.
I must check again but think aluminum bell housing won't fit the 350.
The aluminum bell housing came with saginaw (see pics)
will buy new clutch pressure plate, throw out bearing
hoping this stuff will all fit and work
flywheel currently on 350 is for automatic,has to go.
Having motor mount questions also
Auto bone has no clue on how to cross reference
these parts.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:37 AM

Last photo:

I answered it myself as I thought about it as I wrote it.

The answer is clear. Time for a different flywheel as well as clutch pressure plate throw out kit. Now the question is how many teeth?I've heard there is different sizes. And still to figure out the motor mount questions.What is the correct part number for a 350 block top half into a 68 Camaro? The bottoms are there.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Welcome to the site.

Cole
Old 11-21-2011, 08:51 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Hello and welcome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

« hi | 1968 Camaro »