tom pinkman - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2011, 12:03 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

tom pinkman

i have a 34 ford 5 window coupe with a lincoln rear end i have a brake proplem can you help me iwant to enstall ford explorer rear disk brakes on my 9inch ford rear end can you help me

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 07:27 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

year size.

We need more info what year lincoln, which rear end? big lincoln 9 3/8, mid size versailles 9 or an 80's with 8.8 rear. explorer brakes are and easy fit for some 9's with the correct bearing size .
Old 11-20-2011, 10:19 PM

barkes

i have a lincoln versailles 9 inch rear end stock brake set up brakes have all ways been a problem on this car some say it a volume promlem some say its pressure problem how much does peddle ratio play in brakeing there has to be a way of getting brakes to work on this car
Old 11-21-2011, 08:19 AM

hydro boost ?

The Stock Versailles and Mercury monarch with 4 wheel disc used a hydroboost power brake system, the booster is powered by the Hydralic system for the power steering. You have to have the right pedal ratio to get enough pressure if not using a hydro. Another problem can occur if you don't have a parking brake hooked up. using the parking brake makes the rears self adjust. The sliding calipers can stick and not fully retract, causing one side of the rotor to wear faster. dirt or rust from salted roads speed up the problem. The versailles rear is unique in the bearings used and the caliper brackets, It does not have the easy swap explorer capability. But it is narrow and some came with a locker. The versailles is almost a bolt in for 65-6 mustangs. and there were a lot of mustang magazine coverage of the swap.. If you go to a classic mustang forum and ask questions there you might get some info and best pedal ratio and trouble shooting.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:01 AM

brakes

since all of lincoln brake parts would be removed and your only dealing with the houseing flange bolt pattern why would,t explorer bakes components work
Old 11-21-2011, 07:12 PM

bolt pattern

ford used several different sizes of axle bearings over the years and the bearing retainer and the 4 bolt hole pattern of the axle housing are different. I don't know if you can redrill the explorer caliper brackets to make them fit. the Explorer is a direct bolt infor 9 in housings that have what is commonly called the Torino pattern. the Speedway catalog shows the 3 bolt patterns. You might be able to down load their catalog picts. or order a printed catalog they have always been free to me. they say $5 on the cover.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:12 PM

brakes

thank you i will look up the bolt patterns in my speedway catalog i havethe big ford new style 2.00 by 3.562 bolt pattern can you give me the size of the explorer bolt pattern what size was the torino bolt pattern what style was it
Old 11-22-2011, 07:36 AM

Not sure

I think the torino was the mid size pattern. I got rid of my last versaille in a trade for my 32 glass body. If I remember right the Versaille caliper bracket is also the bearing retainer. I think the explorer is a solid disc and the versaille is venilated with curved internal fins , a left and right for better cooling. If the bolt paterns match you have to remove the axle bearing to get the caliper bracket off then find a non disc retainer and install new bearings. All my versaille info is down south, Our snowbird migration won't be until after christmas this year. I posted some Picts a couple of years ago for someone else with versaille problems.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:22 AM

explorer option.

I would still try to get the versaille working right before giving up and swapping. check for right master cyl. lines connected to the right ports. pedal ratio. prop valve. calipers sliding ok. caliper pistons not stuck etc.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:31 AM

caliper damage.

I did a search on Versailles, a lot of links from here on HR, One thing listed was that if someone used a C clamp to retract the rear caliper pistons they will damage the adjusting mechanism. and the brakes won't work right. To retract the pistons you have to unscrew them. there is a factory tool but it's easy to make one , a piece of 1/4 x 1 flat stock drill 3 holes, the two outside ones match the indent holes in the caliper piston back side, the other hole is centered. put a bolt in the center hole and weld it. weld in two pins to engage the indent holes then use a socket on the bolt head and turn the piston back out. I used to borrow a home made one as described fron a retired ford mechanic. I have backed them out using heavy needle nose pliers and vice grips to turn the pliers if they are free, not stuck. .
Old 11-25-2011, 09:24 PM

tool

your right i made a tool my self i took one apart just to see how it work the emergency brake cable has to be hook up in order to move the piston to kept the brake shoes up to the roter im working on a hydro boost system for my brakes i wonder why the hydro boost system isn,t used more on street rods
Old 11-26-2011, 07:22 AM

hydro boost

Hydro boosts were used on trucks. some farm equipment , diesels that don't produce vacuum, also some cars (70's T bird I think) had hyd wipers. Hydro is more expensive , hoses leak possibilities, etc, Most street rods are light enough that it's not needed, and a lot have disc- disc with the right M cyl, wheel cyl' calipers and pedal will work without a power booster. And a few years ago automakers started experimenting with elect power boost.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:51 AM

thank you i will try the ford pattern
Old 12-06-2011, 01:01 PM

hydro boost

how do you bleed a hydro boost system if the master cylinder has not been disturb the lines are still in tack is it self bleeding from the hydro boost to the pump thank you

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.