Too many choices - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Too many choices

I have found a few machines that seem to have what I want, reverse, walking foot needle feed. However after reading all over this post and others I am still having a hard time deciding. I registered on this site since the explanations of the learned seemed the most lucid and comprehensive.
I have located a consew 226(rb2?)for $400 head only. How would I check condition is it possible to thread it up and just manually sew through some material? what should I look for?
next machine is a singer 211 g 166 table motor and all $300 has some rust
pfaff 145 $400 head only
Juki 562 $800
226 consew table and all $599
rex28-140 $145
singer 111 w 156 I think he said singer 111 with reverse, it seems as though the only 111 with reverse is the 156
I like the idea of head only so I can justify going straight into the sewquiet (if you had the choice between the 3000 and the new 4000 which would you choose?)
Which machine will be the easiest to keep oiled, restore correct timing, etc. If you were just starting of these machines or others you might suggest, would you choose? trying to come in around $700. I am designing and repairing gear; straps, canvas, cordura, leather, vinyl. Do any or all of these come with the safety clutch that allows timing to be reset easily, I think thats what I have divined from reading but honestly have reached the point of info overload. I have been destroying a pfaff 1222 and using an awl to fix stuff at work and now it seems the other companies are bringing me stuff and I need to upgrade. All things being equal condition price etc consew 226 or 206 seems as though one you get a larger bobbin the other you get a drop in bobbin. In the end which makes life more convenient.

Advertisement

Last edited by learning; 01-02-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

They are all basically the same machine. The Singer111W is the original machine, and the rest are clones of that machine. There is no way you can operate the machine without hooking it up to a motor, and even then there is no way to know if there's anything wrong with it. You need to take the heads to a professional sewing machine mechanic for that. They will have a test stand to easily hook up however many heads you take in to a motor. Don't expect this service to be free, but it will be the best insurance you aren't getting a lemon.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 01-02-2011, 06:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTwoLakes
They are all basically the same machine. The Singer111W is the original machine, and the rest are clones of that machine. There is no way you can operate the machine without hooking it up to a motor, and even then there is no way to know if there's anything wrong with it. You need to take the heads to a professional sewing machine mechanic for that. They will have a test stand to easily hook up however many heads you take in to a motor. Don't expect this service to be free, but it will be the best insurance you aren't getting a lemon.
Agreed! The Singer 111W155 or it's clone is the way to go.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:05 PM

I understand the 111 is the parent of them all but clearly all clones are not created equal. I have read some say to stay away from the consew models of chinese build. Some of the clones have top loading bobbins that are smaller while others have side loading that are larger, in the long run which is less of a hassle? Some require special feet and needles which incur the extra cost that always goes with proprietary stuff.
Dan 2 Lakes vast knowledge of this stuff, along with a few others, is what led me to this forum. Of the machines would you rather have the convenience of a smaller top loading bobbin or the larger capacity side loader?
Most of my work for now will be runs no longer than 3 feet, most far less, if that makes a difference.
I recognize this is a difficult question, probably why it is asked so much.
Those with a lot of experience generally will gravitate towards certain things for various reasons. Example from a totally different world; I prefer cast iron dutch ovens to aluminum. Sure aluminum is lighter and does not rust but cast iron when seasoned well is as good or better than teflon for nonstick and it heats much more evenly, but they are basically the same thing and both do the same job well. Its just in my opinion cast iron is superior. Every time you use the aluminum the cleaning will be a bigger p.i.t.a.. and for me that is what clinches the deal I hate scrubbing.
I have read some machines need to be oiled sometimes a few times a day, if it needs to be done so be it, but if another machine has a reservoir you check that lasts for days , that sort of info would strongly influence me more so than having to purchase special feet . However if parts are hard to come by that would definitely be a huge black mark against. So of the machines in the initial post which would be the one most likely to keep you from thinking shoulda, coulda, woulda?

Last edited by learning; 01-02-2011 at 08:30 PM.

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.