Is This Too Much To Ask For A Paint Job??? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2005, 08:07 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

. "I can't advertise for side work because I haven't got a great deal of time so it's just word of mouth."

Your work should speak for itself. If you are getting work by word of mouth, then it must be atleast acceptable to others. The "customers" should be understanding of what to expect. The price is something that you have to be able to live with. Do you think that the Dr. that you go to is worried about how much he charges? Not in this life time! I was told many years ago, that it is one thing to discount the parts, but don't discount your labor. When I price out a job, I do it by considering the hours involved, and multiply it by the labor rate that I feel is appropriate for this area. I do consider that I do not have the same overhead that a large shop does. That means that I charge the rate that I feel my labor is worth.

Keep in mind that, if you charge too little, people will wonder why you can do it so cheaply.

Aaron

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2005, 08:37 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by milo
Nothing is ever to much for a paint "job"...

Always stand your ground when pricing out projects for others.

Rule of thumb is to know that not everybody is a customer ..

If money is an object it's already a bad deal ...

Ch**p is a dirty word , You don't want c^*ap around you. It's worse than silicone when it comes to paint...
Very profound stuff there Milo. Yeah, my brother has a mechanical repair shop. He has always said "The fact that the customer may not have the money it takes to repair the car doesn't mean the repair costs ME any less to do it."

Brian
Old 12-13-2005, 08:45 PM

Last photo:

it will slowly come around if you do good work, once you have done jobs for a few people, they will hopefully remember and tell someone else. I did a mustang for a guy way way to cheap. Also had another guy I did some work from bring me a job, and also had a possible another one from him, but didn't really feel like doing another body kit, and we never really got in touch with another again. But Even though I did the mustang too cheap, If I wanted (maybe spring time) I could repaint the hood on that car (something in his garage dropped on it) and he also has a newer mustang he possibly wants painted. I may do it depending on how busy I am, he is a decent guy, but probably won't make a killing since I did his other car so cheap. If you do an old car and you are the type does things right ( I know how it is) One tip I can give you from my experience, tell them you won't give an estimate until you strip the paint, which they will have to pay you for. Boy the surprises you can run into that you don't realize are so bad looking at the paint. Just keep doing the best work you can on the jobs you do, and hopefully people will remember you and eventually people will be beating down your door and not squak about price and you get the right customers. Everyone has to start somewhere, but do things too cheap and you won't really be happy, I know this too well. They say bad referals travel faster then good ones, so do your best work and charge for it, and forget the rest. Things just don't happen overnight. I've done a few side jobs over the past few years, and I haven't done anything for awhile because I learned to wait for the right job and not cut labor way down to get it, and I still don't have a real lot of people asking to get stuff done. It seems to be the most in early spring though in this area (not doing insurance work), when people come out of winter hibernation and want there car looking nice for spring and summer cruising.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:12 PM

Last photo:

I know all about working for free, I did way to much of that years ago. If you do quality work for a long enough period of time your schedual will always be full. If your work stands out and it gets some good exposure good things can happen really fast, just remember everyone has started somewhere. Don't work for free though. On the older cars, if you do any, your best bet is to charge by the hour-this is the only way to be fair to yourself and your customer. If it's smaller jobs then you're going to have to figure it out by the hour and bid the job. Put it down on paper and explain it to your customers. Just be carefull if this isn't a licensed operation because you have no recourse if the owner just decides to take the car without paying. There's no mechanic's lein for a fly by night shop. Doing builders for resale is also an option if you don't like the stress of bodywork customers and the licensing problems, some people make a living this way. Good luck with it! Bob
Old 12-14-2005, 05:09 AM

Last photo:

Excellent point BADDBOB, on someone not paying after the work is done. So far I haven't had any problems. Maybe I should start to ask for some cash in advance..........I've done way to much of paying for stuff out of my own pocket to do the job. Just last summer I had a guy come to me with a 29 foot boat and wanted a new motor put in, then after I said yes, he went on a 2 month vacation to Germany. When he got back I had over $1000.00 of my own money spent on the boat. He paid me though.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:13 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by novafreek6872
Price sounds dirt cheap too me! Maybe he wanted you to do it for free!!!
This is the probably the situation ,if he thinks he can get it cheaper somewhere else, then thats where he needs to go,, You have a talent he needs, or otherwise he would do it himself,, he is trying to get it done as cheap as possible, but definitely don't give away your talents,, he probably found other uses for the insurance money, or his wife [or G/F ] did, doing jobs at a reasonable price is fine,, it gets the word out that you do good work, at a resaonable price, [ but this is a ridiculously low price] then you can raise your price when others want work done, just don't sell yourself short, thats alot of work for 300$ Good luck Bill
Old 12-14-2005, 02:22 PM

Last photo:

I appreciate everyones input. I think I'm going to start charging by the hour.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:13 PM
ASE Master

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Man, I hear you guys !! I own a mechanical shop and don't do work cheap or jobs that aren't going to be profitable. I would rather make the $$ doing 1 job than 3 to get the same. I've never lost any money by turning down a job. Do the questionable job or the ones in doubt and you will.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:46 PM

Last photo:

I would like to have some of these people watch every step that gets covered when prepping/painting a vehicle and then ask them if they would do it any cheaper themselves I don't think they take into consideration how much of the total cost go's into supplies taking away a great deal of the profit from the painter.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:37 PM

Last photo:

I had a guy bring me a 55 Chevy once in the early days of my career. He wanted 2 qtr panels, 2 tone finish, remove the motor and paint it and the engine compartment, remove all the interior mouldings and paint them to match the car. I noted all the repairs, looked it over real well then sat down to write it up. He looked at the cars in the shop while I wrote then casually strolled over the the counter and got a look at what I was writing. "Woah Woah!" he said. "What?" I replied. "That looks like a lot of money already..."
"well yes and no" I replied. "Where are we at so far...looks like 3 or 4 grand from here". "Well, the qtrs alone are $350 each and about $500 each to install, you have rust on the inners, you want 2 tone paint, etc, did I miss something?" "Well what's the ballpark you think?" I replied you'll be around $5500 to $6000 all said and done." "No way!! That's a lotta damn money for that job!" "Well did you have a budget to try to stick too? I'll try to work around that, maybe we do it in multiple visits?" "That's just too much...what can I get for a thousand dollars?" "You can get outta here...that's what."

It was very empowering at that time to do that. I NEEDED to do that. As insulted as he was, too bad. All of that work and he thought he could get it done for a grand. Not by me. Truely not by anyone. That was more insulting. Don't let your talents be driven by the desire to get the work. You'll drive them down that way. Focus on quality. $$ will follow.

I have to disagree with ya baddbob...there is recourse for independents. You apply for and almost always get an "Artisan's lein" if there's problems. Most times all it takes is for a deadbeat is to see you're serious and ready to take legal action and they pay. Also 'grape, ALWAYS get mat'l and parts money up front. If they can't come up with it, their not for real. "Take all the time you need..." can many times mean "I don't have any $ and plan to jack you out of it somehow..." You'll soon get to know who's who and what's what. Stay at it and good luck.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:37 PM

A few years ago I hit a deer with one of my cars. Did similar damage and I supplied parts. One fender off to repair, replace hood, paint - cost over $4,000. When I need some painting I'll fly you here, feed you, and supply everything if you only charge me $500!
Old 12-16-2005, 04:29 AM

Last photo:

I've been fortunate so far about collecting money afterwards, but if anyone tried to get out of it they wouldn't get their car back How do those one hour paint shops work so cheap? There's a place in Millwaukee called "Earl Shieb" or something like that, that will do a paint job in a day for around a couple hundred bucks. P.S. "GCD1962", I need a vacation, I'll be waiting for that plane ticket

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.