Is This Too Much To Ask For A Paint Job??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2005, 06:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Is This Too Much To Ask For A Paint Job???

I had a guy come to me with some body and paint work he wanted done on a car after hitting a deer. It needed to have the hood, front bumper cover and spoiler under the bumper replaced (he had all the replacment parts). Also, between the hood and windshield, there is a little cowl that was damaged from opening the bent hood that needed to be repaired, and some small repair to a front fender. I told him I would replace all parts, repair small damage and paint/buff front clip for $400.00. Paint and supplies were approx. $100.00 so $300.00 for labor. I was expecting him to call back but he never did. Is that to much money

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2005, 07:43 AM
Analog man in a digital world.

Last journal entry: HEI comparison.
Last photo:

No ,he's just cheap.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:05 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,161 Times in 1,024 Posts
That was FREE for goodness sakes. Maybe too cheap and he thought you wouldn't do a good job.

Brian
Old 12-13-2005, 11:23 AM
Last photo:

I agree with Martinsr.

Vince
Old 12-13-2005, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

It was just a Topaz, maybe he decided not to spend "ALL" that money on it
Old 12-13-2005, 12:40 PM

Paint repairs

Good afternoon. I think that the price you presented this individual was actual cheap. It sounds as if you were actually doing him a favor by saying $400. It takes time and know how to repair the damages that you presented. A dealership would probably charge him $1300 or better, and you were only charging 33% of that. Know that if the individual turned that down then they are probably going to get it done cheaper, but sacrify quality. Keep up the good work.

God Bless
69chevytime
Old 12-13-2005, 12:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Way too cheap, 400 to replace and paint a hood maybe, but the rest of it? He probably took the insurance money and bought some presents. Dan
Old 12-13-2005, 02:06 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

Nothing is ever to much for a paint "job"...

Always stand your ground when pricing out projects for others.

Rule of thumb is to know that not everybody is a customer ..

If money is an object it's already a bad deal ...

Ch**p is a dirty word , You don't want c^*ap around you. It's worse than silicone when it comes to paint...
Old 12-13-2005, 05:47 PM

Last photo:

I too think that is cheap, bet if you looked up the refinish and labor hours it would be a bit. I too have that problem, spend time looking in the crash book, pricing materials at what the actual cost should be (instead of taking the refinish hours times x amount of dollars like shops do, and charge somewhere near half of the labor rate of a shop in the area (shop rate is somewhere around $45 an hour in wisconsin for bodywork). Spend all the time, and know you are giving a good price, and lot of people you never hear back from. Either they are cheap, don't want to spend that much on their vehicle once they find out what this kind of work costs to do a good job, or they will get more estimates or get tired of looking and may come back later, or maybe they are just thinking about getting it fixed at this point. Don't sell you self short, and don't let it bother you if you don't get the job. Or you will end up bidding too cheap, spend a lot of your time and hard work and have little to show for it and not be too happy in the end. I have a full time job now, and was doing some work at home when I was out of work, with no unemployment benefits. It sure is nice not to have to take a job. The jobs that seem to make out best on is the small ones, like replace a bumper and paint, or maybe a hood. An old rust bucket that needs stripping and a complete paint job, its harder to make out on unless you are well established and can charge quite a few grand for the job. Most people want there old car painted for next to nothing, and when they see maaco advertising a few hundred bucks for a complete paint job, they wonder why you want to charge so much, if they end up doing the work themselves, then they understand how much work and how costly materials are.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:54 PM
Nova Guru

Last photo:

Price sounds dirt cheap too me! Maybe he wanted you to do it for free!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 06:02 PM

Last photo:

If this guy is shopping around for a BETTER price you can bet he will be coming back to see you soon.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

I had another guy come to me wanting me to assemble (from frame up) and paint a pickup. I had no idea what to charge but for the amount of work I sure couldn't do it for nothing. I was going to tell him $1500.00 but thought it sounded like too much, then I thought, what about $15.00 per hour but before I got back to him he had traded the truck for another ???? I used to just d!nk around on my own stuff but a couple of years ago I bought a trashed 85 Vette with the motor in boxes in the back of the car. I rebuilt the motor and did my first serious paint job which turned out AWESOME! After that my brother wanted me to do his pickup, we switched the box and both front fenders,then painted it BC/CC and buffed the whole thing afterwards. I did that one for FREE (WHAT WAS I THINKING ) since then I've had lots of offers but don't have a lot of time. What would be a good price for a "rookie" to charge?
Old 12-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Figure how many hours it will take and then double that figure, charge about 2/3 the going rate (45?) say $30 bucks an hour plus parts. Then go back and read Milos advice. I did way too much work years ago for less than minimun wage just because I enjoyed doing it. Get into the habit of working too cheaply and you'll be surrounded by folks that want something for nothing. $30 bucks an hour is a good place for a young guy to start, get a rep built and then make some serious money. And always use the right safety equipment to protect yourself, a lot of this stuff can slowly kill you. Dan
Old 12-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

How long have you been doing this type of work? What is your skill level? Don't sell yourself short, your time is worth something. Don't set your price with what the guy down the street is charging, set your price so it will be profitable in the end for YOU or YOUR company. If you go any other way you will be done before you start. Good quality work deserves good quality customers, sound like the birds sing this guys song, Cheap cheap

Steve
Old 12-13-2005, 07:08 PM

Last photo:

I don't have a bussiness doing this stuff, I just try to find side jobs for extra cash. I am picky so I generally do a good job but I feel like if I'm too costly I won't get side jobs (my Dad always said 30% of something is better than 100% of nothing). When I paint I usually get a small degree of orange peel so I spend extra time sanding and buffing and it takes me a bit longer. I haven't quite got it down 100 percent yet but not bad. I can't advertise for side work because I haven't got a great deal of time so it's just word of mouth.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.