Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - too much or enough motor
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMARS67 View Post
I didn't want a smaller cam because I hated running out of power. Yeah normal street was great but freeway was not impressive. Maybe it was my combo at the time. But .560lift on a 454 wasn't very impressive. Fun on the street but didn't pack a punch maybe a jab
As for this statement, a bigger cam is NOT going to help you. That cam is actually too big for your heads, a smaller one would better match your combo- or better heads to match your current cam and wants.

No matter how much you port them old BBC and SBC heads are NOT competitive with even the most mild aftermarket heads. I use a lot of factory heads because I'm a cheap ***, but I know that even a set of mildly worked offshore heads can stomp all over my fully done factory stuff.

Get into LS territory and some of the reworked factory stuff is SOMEWHAT competitive with aftermarket castings, but in the end even there the aftermarket has a nice margin.