too much or enough motor - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
More like 4800 to 6800. Not to be mean, but you guys that are drag racers who been there, you think it will cruise around at 2500 clutch out? Dont go up hill.

It will, but ....not happily.
so you saying it wont operate @ 2500 or 3000 rpm?? or it will be very slugish hardly moving..then pick up after 4800 rpm??

are you saying that because i have stock rear end gear or because of the muncie???

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 AM
Head like a Deathstar

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

When you go for a test drive, what impresses you about the engineered ride quality?

The acceleration, the continuity of speed over changing terrain, the way the mirrors and dash do not shake, the smooth power at all throttle positions, the longevity of the service parts, the lack of rattles.

Do some research if you never used a .6 + lift cam. Roller or 454 means nothing. That is 180 degrees from a street driver.

4 speeds are fine not a problem with a race car. Why wouldnt it operate at 3000 rpm. Are you imagining its just going to die?
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMARS67 View Post
the words according to lunati:
Product Description

Solid roller, rough idle. Excellent cam for street/strip applications in 427-468 cubic inch engines. Excellent mid and upper RPM torque and horsepower. Needs 3200-3500 RPM stall speed converter, headers, 10.25:1 compression ratio and 4.11 rear gears.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 279/285
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 249/255
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .663/.685
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): .018/.018
RPM Range: 2800-7000
Includes: Cam Only
That's really a mild cam for a 454, it won't be difficult to drive AT ALL as long as its tuned properly. Hell, that cam in a sbc 350 wouldn't be that difficult to drive if it was tuned properly.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM

Quote:
When you go for a test drive, what impresses you about the engineered ride quality?

The acceleration, the continuity of speed over changing terrain, the way the mirrors and dash do not shake, the smooth power at all throttle positions, the longevity of the service parts, the lack of rattles.

Do some research if you never used a .6 + lift cam. Roller or 454 means nothing. That is 180 degrees from a street driver.

4 speeds are fine not a problem with a race car. Why wouldnt it operate at 3000 rpm. Are you imagining its just going to die?
I dnt care if this motor shakes and rattles. I want power and if that's at the expense of a shaky car with a rough idle then I feel it's worth it. I wanna be able to hear that cam. My current 383 has an isky hyd flat 295 that sounds great. Not a smooth ride but great acceleration and I can feel the power through the rpm. I'm expecting a rough idle at 3000 or under. But a nice acceleration throughout the rpm.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM

look at the picture when I post.reread my post about using a bigger cam in a small block with 3.50 gears.

At 60 mph my tach reads 2k,if I want to accelerate i step on the gas.The torque is great.My bigger cam makes peak power at 6470 on the dyno.I use a 950 cfm HP holley.

If you put 4.11 gears in that car with that engine it will be like a bee on its back.
I use a TKO 600 5 speed.Its strong and has a 2.78 first gear. I dont like the way it shifts from second to third,not a big issue for me as I dont drag race

remember 2,000 rpm at 60 mph and my duration is 256/264,and I accelerate smoothly and easily from there even in 5th
Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Its not just the duration but the fact that its a solid roller cam. You can't directly compare solid to hyd, roller to flat, or OHC to pushrod type.
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
1Gary (12-05-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM

AP72,are you agreeing with me? or something else?
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Head like a Deathstar

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
That's really a mild cam for a 454, it won't be difficult to drive AT ALL as long as its tuned properly. Hell, that cam in a sbc 350 wouldn't be that difficult to drive if it was tuned properly.
Really mild cam for a 454, that is an unusual statement. It is NOT mild in a 454. It is a hot cam.

Sure it will drive. The range that cam excels in you cannot do on the street. If you are driving around, not racing , why would you go to that level. So that you can have it cam at idle. You can get a rough idle with less cam, and be happy on the street. Take all traffic situations into consideration. Make sure that it does not attract law enforcement personal. A .650 lift is going to need a open exhaust to take advantage of the flow.

If you do not care, that is so Rebelious .

If you want to make the most of a street driven vehicle, you would probably build it to perform in the range of daily operation. In what situation, other than racing, would a .600 be more beneficial than a .500 lift. A half inch lift is going to lope, and perform well.

The diffrence in power with soild and solid roller cams is not amazing. You are not getting 50hp by retrofiting a roller solid from a solid of similar grind.

This sounds like johnny wants to go faster, but listen to reason.

V , ap72 have alot of knowledge and share it well. They can speak volumes about making it faster.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Old & Furious

@ SPINN If you do not care, that is so Rebelious .

I vote for Rebelious!!!

spinn you sound like your talking about a small block. With larger valves .6 lift is not that much. i think they had cams with .5 lift from the oem in performace models. You must be getting your signals crossed.

OP has already answered this one with BIG POWER and RATTLE!!

My street car turns over 5k everyday. With 6 speed and two over drive gears. I dont see why he wont be able to ramp on the big block around town a little.

A big block loping its way up a hill will still have more power than a stock 6 cylinder at the same rpm. I dont care if its sputtering and throwing flames out the exhuast it will still make well over 100 ft pounds of tq at 1500 rpm.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:08 PM

what is the valve lift on a smooth idle LS- 7 liter
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
look at the picture when I post.reread my post about using a bigger cam in a small block with 3.50 gears.

At 60 mph my tach reads 2k,if I want to accelerate i step on the gas.The torque is great.My bigger cam makes peak power at 6470 on the dyno.I use a 950 cfm HP holley.

If you put 4.11 gears in that car with that engine it will be like a bee on its back.
I use a TKO 600 5 speed.Its strong and has a 2.78 first gear. I dont like the way it shifts from second to third,not a big issue for me as I dont drag race

remember 2,000 rpm at 60 mph and my duration is 256/264,and I accelerate smoothly and easily from there even in 5th
What size tire you runnin??? After I put the motor in I will drive It with the stock gears. I didn't want to change gear unless I really had to
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Really mild cam for a 454, that is an unusual statement. It is NOT mild in a 454. It is a hot cam.

Sure it will drive. The range that cam excels in you cannot do on the street. If you are driving around, not racing , why would you go to that level. So that you can have it cam at idle. You can get a rough idle with less cam, and be happy on the street. Take all traffic situations into consideration. Make sure that it does not attract law enforcement personal. A .650 lift is going to need a open exhaust to take advantage of the flow.

If you do not care, that is so Rebelious .

If you want to make the most of a street driven vehicle, you would probably build it to perform in the range of daily operation. In what situation, other than racing, would a .600 be more beneficial than a .500 lift. A half inch lift is going to lope, and perform well.

The diffrence in power with soild and solid roller cams is not amazing. You are not getting 50hp by retrofiting a roller solid from a solid of similar grind.

This sounds like johnny wants to go faster, but listen to reason.

V , ap72 have alot of knowledge and share it well. They can speak volumes about making it faster.
I didn't want a smaller cam because I hated running out of power. Yeah normal street was great but freeway was not impressive. Maybe it was my combo at the time. But .560lift on a 454 wasn't very impressive. Fun on the street but didn't pack a punch maybe a jab
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM

My tires are 27 1/2 inches tall. I changed my gears because I had 2.73 gears and a stock 4 speed.I gave the trans to a local kid. When I changed the gears I put a new posi,new half shafts,new springs so the car would not squat,all new bushings,cut the driveshaft and put in a TKO 600,and a scattershield etc. I only use a 3.50 gear for road racing, for me 4.11s would make first gear useless.

While you stuff the parts in your car better add the roll bar.That car will easily go better than 11.50s
Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
AP72,are you agreeing with me? or something else?
I was saying that you can't look at the duration as you would with a hydraulic flat tappet cam. For a hyd flat cam that .050" duration is pretty damn big for a street car, BUT when you factor in the lash on a solid cam and the more agressive lobes of a roller cam that duration really isn't that big of a deal. The drivability will compare with a hyd flat cam with duration in the 230's and as we all know- that's pretty typical for a mild "hot street" 454.

I'm not saying it's an RV cam but it's not as rowdy as you might think. It's about 20-30 degrees short of a full solid roller race cam.
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 PM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMARS67 View Post
I didn't want a smaller cam because I hated running out of power. Yeah normal street was great but freeway was not impressive. Maybe it was my combo at the time. But .560lift on a 454 wasn't very impressive. Fun on the street but didn't pack a punch maybe a jab
You always want to shoot for lift in the 25%-35% of valve size. So .5 is just about right for a 2 inch valve. Yours are almost .2 bigger so .6 is perfect. .7 would still not be out of range. Less and the valve is a restriction in the intake track.

With small chevy the valve size of .6 is all you ever need with 2.02 valves for the most part. But big chevy can have a much larger valve and will need the lift to work correctly. lower lift will still run but it will not get effecient like it should at the cams VE rpm range. If that makes since. Sorry i know i left about three books worth of info out of that one. LOL

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.