too much or enough motor - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 08:22 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: az
Posts: 108
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
More like 4800 to 6800. Not to be mean, but you guys that are drag racers who been there, you think it will cruise around at 2500 clutch out? Dont go up hill.

It will, but ....not happily.
so you saying it wont operate @ 2500 or 3000 rpm?? or it will be very slugish hardly moving..then pick up after 4800 rpm??

are you saying that because i have stock rear end gear or because of the muncie???

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 09:12 AM
spinn's Avatar
Head like a Deathstar
 

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,291
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 70 Times in 68 Posts
When you go for a test drive, what impresses you about the engineered ride quality?

The acceleration, the continuity of speed over changing terrain, the way the mirrors and dash do not shake, the smooth power at all throttle positions, the longevity of the service parts, the lack of rattles.

Do some research if you never used a .6 + lift cam. Roller or 454 means nothing. That is 180 degrees from a street driver.

4 speeds are fine not a problem with a race car. Why wouldnt it operate at 3000 rpm. Are you imagining its just going to die?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 09:34 AM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 28
Posts: 8,605
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 15
Thanked 273 Times in 255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMARS67 View Post
the words according to lunati:
Product Description

Solid roller, rough idle. Excellent cam for street/strip applications in 427-468 cubic inch engines. Excellent mid and upper RPM torque and horsepower. Needs 3200-3500 RPM stall speed converter, headers, 10.25:1 compression ratio and 4.11 rear gears.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 279/285
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 249/255
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .663/.685
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): .018/.018
RPM Range: 2800-7000
Includes: Cam Only
That's really a mild cam for a 454, it won't be difficult to drive AT ALL as long as its tuned properly. Hell, that cam in a sbc 350 wouldn't be that difficult to drive if it was tuned properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: az
Posts: 108
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
When you go for a test drive, what impresses you about the engineered ride quality?

The acceleration, the continuity of speed over changing terrain, the way the mirrors and dash do not shake, the smooth power at all throttle positions, the longevity of the service parts, the lack of rattles.

Do some research if you never used a .6 + lift cam. Roller or 454 means nothing. That is 180 degrees from a street driver.

4 speeds are fine not a problem with a race car. Why wouldnt it operate at 3000 rpm. Are you imagining its just going to die?
I dnt care if this motor shakes and rattles. I want power and if that's at the expense of a shaky car with a rough idle then I feel it's worth it. I wanna be able to hear that cam. My current 383 has an isky hyd flat 295 that sounds great. Not a smooth ride but great acceleration and I can feel the power through the rpm. I'm expecting a rough idle at 3000 or under. But a nice acceleration throughout the rpm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 10:39 AM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 7,339
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 289
Thanked 703 Times in 679 Posts
look at the picture when I post.reread my post about using a bigger cam in a small block with 3.50 gears.

At 60 mph my tach reads 2k,if I want to accelerate i step on the gas.The torque is great.My bigger cam makes peak power at 6470 on the dyno.I use a 950 cfm HP holley.

If you put 4.11 gears in that car with that engine it will be like a bee on its back.
I use a TKO 600 5 speed.Its strong and has a 2.78 first gear. I dont like the way it shifts from second to third,not a big issue for me as I dont drag race

remember 2,000 rpm at 60 mph and my duration is 256/264,and I accelerate smoothly and easily from there even in 5th
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 AM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 28
Posts: 8,605
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 15
Thanked 273 Times in 255 Posts
Its not just the duration but the fact that its a solid roller cam. You can't directly compare solid to hyd, roller to flat, or OHC to pushrod type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ap72 For This Useful Post:
1Gary (12-05-2012)
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 11:14 AM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 7,339
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 289
Thanked 703 Times in 679 Posts
AP72,are you agreeing with me? or something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 11:42 AM
spinn's Avatar
Head like a Deathstar
 

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,291
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 70 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap72 View Post
That's really a mild cam for a 454, it won't be difficult to drive AT ALL as long as its tuned properly. Hell, that cam in a sbc 350 wouldn't be that difficult to drive if it was tuned properly.
Really mild cam for a 454, that is an unusual statement. It is NOT mild in a 454. It is a hot cam.

Sure it will drive. The range that cam excels in you cannot do on the street. If you are driving around, not racing , why would you go to that level. So that you can have it cam at idle. You can get a rough idle with less cam, and be happy on the street. Take all traffic situations into consideration. Make sure that it does not attract law enforcement personal. A .650 lift is going to need a open exhaust to take advantage of the flow.

If you do not care, that is so Rebelious .

If you want to make the most of a street driven vehicle, you would probably build it to perform in the range of daily operation. In what situation, other than racing, would a .600 be more beneficial than a .500 lift. A half inch lift is going to lope, and perform well.

The diffrence in power with soild and solid roller cams is not amazing. You are not getting 50hp by retrofiting a roller solid from a solid of similar grind.

This sounds like johnny wants to go faster, but listen to reason.

V , ap72 have alot of knowledge and share it well. They can speak volumes about making it faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 11:57 AM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
@ SPINN If you do not care, that is so Rebelious .


I vote for Rebelious!!!

spinn you sound like your talking about a small block. With larger valves .6 lift is not that much. i think they had cams with .5 lift from the oem in performace models. You must be getting your signals crossed.

OP has already answered this one with BIG POWER and RATTLE!!

My street car turns over 5k everyday. With 6 speed and two over drive gears. I dont see why he wont be able to ramp on the big block around town a little.

A big block loping its way up a hill will still have more power than a stock 6 cylinder at the same rpm. I dont care if its sputtering and throwing flames out the exhuast it will still make well over 100 ft pounds of tq at 1500 rpm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:08 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 7,339
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 289
Thanked 703 Times in 679 Posts
what is the valve lift on a smooth idle LS- 7 liter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: az
Posts: 108
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
look at the picture when I post.reread my post about using a bigger cam in a small block with 3.50 gears.

At 60 mph my tach reads 2k,if I want to accelerate i step on the gas.The torque is great.My bigger cam makes peak power at 6470 on the dyno.I use a 950 cfm HP holley.

If you put 4.11 gears in that car with that engine it will be like a bee on its back.
I use a TKO 600 5 speed.Its strong and has a 2.78 first gear. I dont like the way it shifts from second to third,not a big issue for me as I dont drag race

remember 2,000 rpm at 60 mph and my duration is 256/264,and I accelerate smoothly and easily from there even in 5th
What size tire you runnin??? After I put the motor in I will drive It with the stock gears. I didn't want to change gear unless I really had to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: az
Posts: 108
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Really mild cam for a 454, that is an unusual statement. It is NOT mild in a 454. It is a hot cam.

Sure it will drive. The range that cam excels in you cannot do on the street. If you are driving around, not racing , why would you go to that level. So that you can have it cam at idle. You can get a rough idle with less cam, and be happy on the street. Take all traffic situations into consideration. Make sure that it does not attract law enforcement personal. A .650 lift is going to need a open exhaust to take advantage of the flow.

If you do not care, that is so Rebelious .

If you want to make the most of a street driven vehicle, you would probably build it to perform in the range of daily operation. In what situation, other than racing, would a .600 be more beneficial than a .500 lift. A half inch lift is going to lope, and perform well.

The diffrence in power with soild and solid roller cams is not amazing. You are not getting 50hp by retrofiting a roller solid from a solid of similar grind.

This sounds like johnny wants to go faster, but listen to reason.

V , ap72 have alot of knowledge and share it well. They can speak volumes about making it faster.
I didn't want a smaller cam because I hated running out of power. Yeah normal street was great but freeway was not impressive. Maybe it was my combo at the time. But .560lift on a 454 wasn't very impressive. Fun on the street but didn't pack a punch maybe a jab
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 01:00 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 7,339
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 289
Thanked 703 Times in 679 Posts
My tires are 27 1/2 inches tall. I changed my gears because I had 2.73 gears and a stock 4 speed.I gave the trans to a local kid. When I changed the gears I put a new posi,new half shafts,new springs so the car would not squat,all new bushings,cut the driveshaft and put in a TKO 600,and a scattershield etc. I only use a 3.50 gear for road racing, for me 4.11s would make first gear useless.

While you stuff the parts in your car better add the roll bar.That car will easily go better than 11.50s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 01:06 PM
How fast is fast enough?
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Age: 28
Posts: 8,605
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 15
Thanked 273 Times in 255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
AP72,are you agreeing with me? or something else?
I was saying that you can't look at the duration as you would with a hydraulic flat tappet cam. For a hyd flat cam that .050" duration is pretty damn big for a street car, BUT when you factor in the lash on a solid cam and the more agressive lobes of a roller cam that duration really isn't that big of a deal. The drivability will compare with a hyd flat cam with duration in the 230's and as we all know- that's pretty typical for a mild "hot street" 454.

I'm not saying it's an RV cam but it's not as rowdy as you might think. It's about 20-30 degrees short of a full solid roller race cam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 01:08 PM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMARS67 View Post
I didn't want a smaller cam because I hated running out of power. Yeah normal street was great but freeway was not impressive. Maybe it was my combo at the time. But .560lift on a 454 wasn't very impressive. Fun on the street but didn't pack a punch maybe a jab
You always want to shoot for lift in the 25%-35% of valve size. So .5 is just about right for a 2 inch valve. Yours are almost .2 bigger so .6 is perfect. .7 would still not be out of range. Less and the valve is a restriction in the intake track.

With small chevy the valve size of .6 is all you ever need with 2.02 valves for the most part. But big chevy can have a much larger valve and will need the lift to work correctly. lower lift will still run but it will not get effecient like it should at the cams VE rpm range. If that makes since. Sorry i know i left about three books worth of info out of that one. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
81 cutlass motor swap for a 350 chevy motor metro0911 Engine 2 02-24-2012 11:55 PM
At first start my motor runs great (1968 Corvette 327 motor), at first start, to sscardino Hotrodding Basics 5 12-15-2011 04:06 PM
350 Motor Carb/Motor trouble ClassicFirebird Engine 1 06-01-2011 02:35 PM
Servo motor versus Clutch motor questions? jcarter Interior 9 01-12-2009 09:19 AM
Fried my compressor motor and need advice on new motor. Quarter Flash Garage - Tools 5 05-24-2007 09:40 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.