too much or enough motor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2012, 09:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: az
Posts: 108
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
too much or enough motor

a 454 BBC .60 over
21cc dome piston
112cc oval iron head
solid roller 249/255 @ .50 .663/.680 lift
edlebrock victor w/750 dominator

is this ok for daily street use in a 73 corvette w/a muncie??? ok for 91 octane.if i am generous with timing and keep my motor cool say under 200??

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2012, 10:05 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 7,405
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 291
Thanked 707 Times in 682 Posts
750 is too small.I use a 950 on a small block.
the 73 corvette surprisingly hooks fairly well. The muncie wont like all that torque.
you should work out your CR? The oval iron heads need porting,the 265 aluminum AFRs would be nice, or if you step up the cam then 335 dart square ports are nice. The biggest exhaust that fits under that car is only 3 inch,side pipes will kill your ear(s)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 PM
spinn's Avatar
I Wear 1 Pair of Sox at a Time
 

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,360
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 78 Times in 76 Posts
If those are your choices, you should know what you will end up with.

That is gonna drive like crap, and be weak on driveability.

Wide open at the track , slipping the clutch with a big gear , will be fun fun fun.

Last edited by spinn; 12-04-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: no stall here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: az
Posts: 108
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
750 is too small.I use a 950 on a small block.
the 73 corvette surprisingly hooks fairly well. The muncie wont like all that torque.
you should work out your CR? The oval iron heads need porting,the 265 aluminum AFRs would be nice, or if you step up the cam then 335 dart square ports are nice. The biggest exhaust that fits under that car is only 3 inch,side pipes will kill your ear(s)
cr is about 10.25 according to my specs given to wiseco. dnt have more cash for aluminum. my iron have 2.19 valves and are ported. i currently run side pipes with my 383. love the sound wont give it up. you think it will ok on the street with 91 octane??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: az
Posts: 108
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
If those are your choices, you should know what you will end up with.

That is gonna drive like crap, and be weak on driveability.

Wide open at the track , slipping the clutch with a big gear , will be fun fun fun.
why do you say it wont drive good on the street??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 PM
vinniekq2's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC,Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 7,405
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 291
Thanked 707 Times in 682 Posts
That cam and CR are getting close to max for pump fuel with iron heads.We can ask tech to check the cr for you. We need exact cam specs,intake center line and lobe separation.You might need a bigger cam? I use a bigger cam in a small block with 3.50 gears.I wouldnt want to spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic,unless of course I was at the front at every red light.

My CR is 10.75:1 with aluminum heads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 12:16 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hopewell, Va
Age: 62
Posts: 1,168
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 117 Times in 113 Posts
too much or enough motor

What is your rear gear ratio? You will want a big enough gear to keep you in a 2800-7000 basic operating range. When out cruising you want your rpms around 3000-3500 rpms with that cam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 06:08 AM
hcompton's Avatar
Old & Furious
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: MD
Age: 41
Posts: 1,074
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 6
Thanked 87 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
If those are your choices, you should know what you will end up with.

That is gonna drive like crap, and be weak on driveability.

Wide open at the track , slipping the clutch with a big gear , will be fun fun fun.
Its a big block that cam is not that big. For a small block maybe but for big block its just normal big not high rpm.

@cdminter59 2800 - 7000 rpm range with a 454. What?? no not that high rpm and the big block will make some good power down low. Did you miss where he said its a 454 bored 60 over. that is a large piston it will take a pretty big cam.

It will be pretty tame since the car is very light and the motor will make alot of tq down low it will pull away from lights gently enough. Engine probably wont even notice the car is connected. But have you thought about an auto. th700r4 would be a much better choice than the muncie. If its numbers matching then pull it and set it aside. The big block will break it for sure at some point if you drive it long enough. Also the auto will be a half second faster in the quarter. Maybe more since you will loose tracktion alot with the big block and heavy clutch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: az
Posts: 108
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
That cam and CR are getting close to max for pump fuel with iron heads.We can ask tech to check the cr for you. We need exact cam specs,intake center line and lobe separation.You might need a bigger cam? I use a bigger cam in a small block with 3.50 gears.I wouldnt want to spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic,unless of course I was at the front at every red light.

My CR is 10.75:1 with aluminum heads
LSA is 110 and intake center line is 106 making the cam 4 advance. you can get away with more compression because of aluminum. i figure my cam will bleed of some compression so theres not so much cylinder pressure to make 91 octane ok. intake valve closes at 50
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 AM
spinn's Avatar
I Wear 1 Pair of Sox at a Time
 

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,360
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 78 Times in 76 Posts
Who cares if it is .060" over. Adjust for the compression ratio. Yeah , it is not going to accept that cam any easier because the 454 is .060" over. A big block does have a size and stroke advantage to help with the low end dynamic. Not going to help much for a racing cam. If you have used a cam with lift over .600" , you know how they behave.

You are going to eat up clutch discs.

Sometimes you have to be a little realistic when you build cars that drive on the street with others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 07:59 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: az
Posts: 108
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdminter59 View Post
What is your rear gear ratio? You will want a big enough gear to keep you in a 2800-7000 basic operating range. When out cruising you want your rpms around 3000-3500 rpms with that cam.
i have stoke gear. not sure what they are maybe 3.60??? im planning on 4.11 the operating range according to lunati is 2500-6800
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: az
Posts: 108
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
Its a big block that cam is not that big. For a small block maybe but for big block its just normal big not high rpm.

@cdminter59 2800 - 7000 rpm range with a 454. What?? no not that high rpm and the big block will make some good power down low. Did you miss where he said its a 454 bored 60 over. that is a large piston it will take a pretty big cam.

It will be pretty tame since the car is very light and the motor will make alot of tq down low it will pull away from lights gently enough. Engine probably wont even notice the car is connected. But have you thought about an auto. th700r4 would be a much better choice than the muncie. If its numbers matching then pull it and set it aside. The big block will break it for sure at some point if you drive it long enough. Also the auto will be a half second faster in the quarter. Maybe more since you will loose tracktion alot with the big block and heavy clutch.

yeah im working on the tranny situation. i would like to keep a manual. its currently a m20 im thinking a m22 would be enough??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 08:06 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: az
Posts: 108
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Who cares if it is .060" over. Adjust for the compression ratio. Yeah , it is not going to accept that cam any easier because the 454 is .060" over. A big block does have a size and stroke advantage to help with the low end dynamic. Not going to help much for a racing cam. If you have used a cam with lift over .600" , you know how they behave.

You are going to eat up clutch discs.

Sometimes you have to be a little realistic when you build cars that drive on the street with others.
the words according to lunati:
Product Description

Solid roller, rough idle. Excellent cam for street/strip applications in 427-468 cubic inch engines. Excellent mid and upper RPM torque and horsepower. Needs 3200-3500 RPM stall speed converter, headers, 10.25:1 compression ratio and 4.11 rear gears.
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 279/285
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 249/255
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .663/.685
LSA/ICL: 110/106
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): .018/.018
RPM Range: 2800-7000
Includes: Cam Only
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 AM
spinn's Avatar
I Wear 1 Pair of Sox at a Time
 

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,360
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 5
Thanked 78 Times in 76 Posts
More like 4800 to 6800. Not to be mean, but you guys that are drag racers who been there, you think it will cruise around at 2500 clutch out? Dont go up hill.

It will, but ....not happily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 12-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: az
Posts: 108
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
im deffenitaly working to a new tranny. the motor is available and i only have money for one item. and truley the motor is costing me less than a new muncie. my brother is really helping me out being that he got married and is getting out of the hobby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
81 cutlass motor swap for a 350 chevy motor metro0911 Engine 2 02-24-2012 11:55 PM
At first start my motor runs great (1968 Corvette 327 motor), at first start, to sscardino Hotrodding Basics 5 12-15-2011 04:06 PM
350 Motor Carb/Motor trouble ClassicFirebird Engine 1 06-01-2011 02:35 PM
Servo motor versus Clutch motor questions? jcarter Interior 9 01-12-2009 09:19 AM
Fried my compressor motor and need advice on new motor. Quarter Flash Garage - Tools 5 05-24-2007 09:40 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.