Too much exhaust noise inside car - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2003, 08:51 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Too much exhaust noise inside car

I just had a new dual exhaust package put on my 37 Ply rod and I am getting way too much noise inside the car. The system is 2 1/2" pipes and dual chamber Flowmasters tied to Sanderson headers on a stock 307 SBC. The system does not move when you grab the pipe near the muffler and try to shake it. The rubber hangers are screwed directly to the frame rails and I think this is why it is so loud inside. Am I right or are Flowmasters supposed to deliver a low humming sound into the car. It really seams wrong to me. I was expecting to hear the sound at the rear of the car. Thanks for any advice.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2003, 06:45 PM

I doubt that the sound is coming thru the frame if the pipes are all rubber insulated. Inside car noise is one of the problems with 2 chamber flowmasters. 3 chamber are better altho more expensive. Placement of the mufflers also has an effect on interior noise. I ran dynomax and ran the pipe all the way out the back, interior noise is very acceptable.....GlennK
Old 04-09-2003, 03:43 AM

If two chamber Flowmasters contributes to interior noise, would wrapping the mufler with INSULTEK insulation help? I have changed the front most hangers to softer, longer rubber hangers, but the rubber portion is attached to the floor pan. I have not tested this set up yet but I'm hopeful it will reduce the noise problem.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:11 AM
At a loss for words

Some exhausts do give an interior resonance (spelling?) that may be too loud for some people. You could try the wrap or else you could try to apply some sound deadener to the interior of your car.
Old 04-09-2003, 07:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

I would suggest insulation under the flooring if you dont already have it. Another thing is undercoating the bottom of the floor pan. It will help with sound control as well.

I will add that I have 2 chamber 3 inch flowmasters and I cant really hold a conversation in the cab without shouting. I dont have any floor insulation though. I am usually cruising by myself, and I kindof like the rumble.

Chris
Old 04-10-2003, 03:41 AM

The hanger change made a significant improvement. The floor is insulated and covered with sound deadening material and carpet. I do not have a sound deadener on the roof skin and I think a lot of the remaining noise is coming from there. The previous hangers were just too stiff. Problem solved for now. I'll do a new head liner later.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.