too much transmission fluid bad? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010, 07:46 PM
1971 Buick Skylark 350-4

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

too much transmission fluid bad?

1979 malibu wagon, 305 engine 200 trans. I was convinced by a bottle of fluid it would help stop the transmission fluid leak i had so i put it in and now the fluid level measures more than where it says full hot. to be exact, half of the zero to full hot, extra. almost half an inch. drove it only once since added the stop leak fluid, about half a mile.

oh and another question: im concerned a little of the torque converter and flywheel, it wobbles just a little bit. changed the flywheel and TC a few months ago so its rather new but just a couple days ago i changed the engine oil pan gasket and lifted the motor a few inches till the pan cleared. but i didnt disconnect the bellhousing bolts. just took the motor mounts off , the bolt at the crossmember and all the linkage that got in the way. nothing went wrong during the process and everything was put back jus the way it was. started and ran fine i dont know i worry too much but i heard a tiny rattle i dont think i heard before. it even echoes out thru the exhaust pipe. im familiar with flywheels being cracked and rattles being a hint but my main worry is it normal for it to wobble just a little? thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2010, 09:53 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

If you checked the fluid while it was hot and it was that high you can probably get away with it. I've never personally had any luck with any stop leak additives for transmissions and I think their a waste of money. I've had some luck with conditioners after shift irregularity's's.
Over filling the tranny a little might aggravate the leaking if it's coming out of one of the seals around the shift arm, Governor cover, front or rear seals, modulator, oil fill tube, and probably more I haven't mentioned.
As far as a wobble in the converter/flex-plate, think of it like a tire on your rim. If a rotating mass isn't balanced and turning smoothly, you would feel it and it sure wouldn't do the converter seal any good either.
That might be some of your leaking problem, and if it is, the additive won't do any good to stop it.
Next time you look at it while running, look at several different spots like the teeth on the flex-plate, and the converter and make sure it's not an illusion being dirty with dirt or fluid stains on the converter. If it is still wobbling, check your torque converter bolts and see if they have come loose.
If it wobbles in and out (tranny to engine) the flex-plate is bad. If it wobbles back and forth (side to side) and the converter bolts are loose, they probably have elongated the holes in the flex-plate and the flex-plate will have to be replaced along with the converter seal. hope this helps ya some.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:00 PM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

too high NO

When I was living in calif I read in the paper about one of the police dept having a lot of ford cruisers having engine fires. It turns out the shop mechanic had been keeping the trand fluid too high and It was pukeing fluid out the dipstick tube and onto the exhaust
Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 PM
1971 Buick Skylark 350-4

Last photo:

@sqzbox: thanks! will do! it seems to slightly wobble in and out (tranny to engine). i dont know how the flex plate might of gone bad only after i did that repair. i only took the 3 flex plate to Torque Converter bolts off and that was it. i could of sworn i tightened em up pretty good and saw that it was it good shape. maybe this will help, when i put the 3 bolts back on i noticed that when the TC met its mating surface (flex plate)the TC had to be pulled a 1/4 of an inch (estimate) in order to meet the flex plate to be tightened. is it normal?! It's not like it felt super loose after it was tightened because i checked and its also not gushing out trans fluid from around that area. I tend to see most of the drips from around the back of the trans somewhere above where the drive shaft meets the trans. around that whole area is where i always see fresh drops of trans fluid hanging.THANKS

@timothale: thats pretty intimidating, im def. gonna level out the fluid now because when i first started the car it started smoking like crazy and i thought somethin was burning, like a ruber hose, and so i turned it off and checked to see where it was c oming from. i didnt find the exact spot where it was smoking but as i was lookin all over the place i kneeled down and from under the car i saw a drop or two on top of the exhaust pipe under if not directly under the trans dip stick. i saw how it kinda smoked up and thought maybe that could be the cause. after a few start ups it stopped smoking as much but still kept me concerned. Thanks for the tip on the possibility of engine fires.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:20 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

No problem with the space you had to pull the torque converter up to the flex-plate. That's common and there is always a little untuil you bolt it up.

The drip from the tailshaft/driveshaft is an easy fix with a new seal. Just remove the driveshaft, pry out the old seal, put in a new one, and re-install the driveshaft.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:51 AM
ASE Master Tech, Fabricator

Last wiki edit: Taurus 2-speed fan control wiring diagram Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

The torque converter has a pilot that goes into the end of the crankshaft. So if it goes in, and fits properly, and the flexplate is straight to begin with, any run out in the ring gear will have to be caused by the mounting tabs on the converter. As long as the starter engages and runs properly, a little bit of run out in the ring gear is not a problem (that's why they call it a "flexplate", ). An out of round ring gear would definitely be a problem though, causing balance issues and starter engagement issues.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

Over filling an auto trans is bad!! If it is 1/2 inch or so OVER the full hot mark, and that tranny is not roasting hot, it will end up even more over full once it gets hot. After a drive on the highway, 25 minutes +, that level should be about halfway up the cross hatched area of the stick. Cold, it should be at the bottom or even a little lower. The fluid will expand, and grow, and if you are over full it will make its way into the rotating assembly of the trans. This aerates the fluid, and causes loss of hydraulic pressure on the clutches, leading to slippage and transmission failure.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.