Took my camaro to the local 1/8 mile track. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2003, 11:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Took my camaro to the local 1/8 mile track.

My float got stuck on my carb but before that a made a few runs, this is my first time racing EVER so dont laugh. Im doing this from memory, i had to leave the camaro and slips at the track (well i forgot the slips in the camaro when i left it, cause of the stuck float) anywho, the best was 8.5 something with a 2.2 60 ft (i know that sucks) with a reaction of .581 .500 is perfect, i know its not great but for the first time ever people told me it was great. I got to STOMP a new Gt mustang that was lined up with me. All in all it was fun, until my float got stuck, Anyone give me tips on getting it unstuck, other than tapping on it. Edelbrock 600 cfm.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Blue Oval Finatic

Last photo:

Sounds good there brother.Keep it up .Smoked a Mustang huh?!Now I feel bad lol...

Jacob
Old 08-09-2003, 12:01 PM

Last photo:

They told me if i got my 60 ft time down below 2 that i MIGHT hit like high 12's or real low 13's
They said 8.5 is like 13.3ish, thats not bad i guess.

Oh and about that Mustang, the only reason i added that in was because he told me that hes gonna smock my POS chevy. Some people..i swear, oh well
Old 08-09-2003, 12:25 PM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Hey rubberman just curious what you have in your car, engine trans etc.. How come no pics? If you can afford to build a car at 19 yrs old that can do 8.5 in an 1/8 mile you should able to post some pics. Why did you leave your car at a track??

Old 08-09-2003, 12:51 PM

Last photo:

Its a 355 with a Th350tranny and shift kit, i would post pics, i gotta wait till around this weekend (i was gonna get exhaust shots to) BUT my bro and mom went the visit my bro and sister inlaw, and my bro took the digital camera to get pics down there. I promise i will get pics.

Quote:
Originally posted by dmorris1200
Why did you leave your car at a track??

Sorry i missed you question, i was reading fast. honestly because i couldnt get the carb situated and they told me i can just leave it here and come back during the day so i can see to work on it, im gonna go back once i get off work and look at the floats if it not raining. They said it no problem, ppl leave there rides there alot.

I just called Pacemakers (the track) im gonna go get it tomorrow i Really will post pics, i promise. It was funny though cause the body looks like poop, but the car runs really strong. next time i get a project car im going in this order.....Body/interior/motor..everything else to get it run..cause i dont wanna stop driving the car to paint it LOL

Last edited by Rubberman2003; 08-09-2003 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:53 PM
Vetter

Dude, it sounds good. Now that you are getting started with this, I'm sure it's all going to be downhill.

I have never raced yet. I'm 17 with a 1978 Corvette. I know she can pull in some fast times, but I don't think the parents would go big for the idea of going to race her. I don't even want to bring up the idea to them. They might assume what I would be doing on the street. But I'm not irresponsible on the street, don't wanna hurt anybody, and most importantly, I don't want to hurt my baby (1978 Silver Anniversary Corvette) .

Hmm...I wonder how I would do at the track.

Good luck and great job!!

78SilverShark
Old 08-09-2003, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

And as far of a 19 yr old building a 8.5 sec car (im 18 I have worked on this car for over a year and just recently got it running, and i have 2 jobs to pay for all the stuff, it sucks but its worth it. BTW i got the motor for free.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:24 PM

Last photo:

Thanks man, 17 yr old with a Vette, nice man. Just tell them, better at the track than on the street?
Old 08-09-2003, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

Yeah I guess you wouldn't want to have a car fire on the way home . Must be a heck of a car, hope to see her when you get around to it. I just know what it takes to get a car to pull a 8.5 in an 1/8 mile without juice, turbo, or forced induction, it's quite a bit. My buddy has a '94 Z-28 Camaro with the LT1 350 and he runs a steady 9.1 seconds, and believe me his Z28 is no slouch. My other friend has a '72 Nova with a bored out 350 (355ci I think) and he runs about mid to low 9's also. My buddies Valient with a wicked runnin' 340, 2,600 stall, 3.73 posi does around a 9 flat. So if you're turnin' times in the 8's you should feel pretty darn good. Were you runnin' slicks? That's the only thing none of my friends have tried since these are all street cars. I quarentee my buddies Z28 and Valient would be in the 8's if they had slicks. Either way if this car hits the streets I feel sorry for the guy in the car next to you at a light. Congrats on what I would call a superb run. And by the way, screw the paint job. Pretty paint never wun any races.

Old 08-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Vetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubberman2003
Thanks man, 17 yr old with a Vette, nice man. Just tell them, better at the track than on the street?
Thanks, dude. I know, I should mention it, but it would just be a shaky subject, especially with my mom.
Old 08-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Air Trans

Last photo:

First time I told my mom I had run my 62 Fairlane at the track she wanted to know why I did not invite her. I was 29 when I built the courage up to tell her. I ran my car when I was 18, they would not let a 17 year old run with out parents approval. turned out my moms bro would build cars and she would run them. Her fastest car was a 53 three hole Buick. She loved it.

Point is you will never know what they will say unless you ask.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:10 PM
faster than a speeding ticket!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Rubberman2003
Oh and about that Mustang, the only reason i added that in was because he told me that hes gonna smock my POS chevy. Some people..i swear, oh well

God bless you, grasshoppa.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:54 PM
Vetter

Quote:
Originally posted by camaroguy_1967
First time I told my mom I had run my 62 Fairlane at the track she wanted to know why I did not invite her. I was 29 when I built the courage up to tell her. I ran my car when I was 18, they would not let a 17 year old run with out parents approval. turned out my moms bro would build cars and she would run them. Her fastest car was a 53 three hole Buick. She loved it.

Point is you will never know what they will say unless you ask.
Yes, I see what you mean. Maybe I should mention it. I'll wait until the right time, though.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by 78SilverShark
Yes, I see what you mean. Maybe I should mention it. I'll wait until the right time, though.
Is there ever a right time? At least at the track it is a controlled environment and 100% legal. That should be a plus. I would love to see my daughters race when they are old enough, but that's just cause I'm into it. Every parent is different.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.