Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (
-   Garage - Tools (
-   -   tool box drawer liner? (

Brian_B 06-02-2008 12:16 AM

tool box drawer liner?
This may seem like a stupid question, but here goes....

I have had a small craftsman tool box since I was a kid. The drawers are really badly beat up inside and the tools rattle all the time.

I bought a much larger craftsman box and have not used it yet. My tools are scattered all over the garage. I want to organize them and get them all put away where I know where they are. :sweat:

Is there some sort of foam (or something) [that is relatively inexpensive] that I can buy and cut to size to line the drawers to keep from damaging them and stop all the rattling around?

If so, where can I buy this stuff?

Thanks all,

ratpackin 06-02-2008 01:12 AM

yeah- I think I always see this stuff when I'm not looking for it- but you may want to check any of the huge discount stores IE:Target or Walmart. They sell rolls thin foam pads. They come in various colors, usually blue or tan though. They look like - like miniature formed foam (carpet pad). It's often marketed as a non-slip pad for drawers.

Brian_B 06-02-2008 03:05 AM that should work. Not sure about tan though. It would show grease pretty quickly.

The only thing I could think of was that white packing foam pad stuff they sell on a roll in office supply stores. No way would white work for very long. :nono:

I will take a look the next time I am out near walmart. No target around here. I am pretty rural.


schnitz 06-02-2008 04:39 AM

I have those nonslip deals in most of my drawers. One tip I can offer up is that when that stuff slides a bit when drawers are "slammed" shut, use some tape-on velcro squares to hold the offending corners down. It works fine for me now.

In a while, Chet.

matt167 06-02-2008 06:29 AM

It's sold in auto stores also, but at double the cost... look in Walmart in the Kitchen section, there sold as non skid pads for sinks and stuff. you can get it in almost any color you want really cheap

DRS50 06-02-2008 07:49 AM

I used the stuff walmart sells in the housewares dept.,its a non skid rubber like foam stuff for kitchen drawers. Comes in colors and differant size rolls. Has been in my tool boxes for 3 years and still working great.

daoldbuick 06-02-2008 03:35 PM

There's a product that is sold to put under floor mats to keep them from sliding around that like a thick rubber net. It's cheap and works well.

Irelands child 06-02-2008 03:51 PM

I've been using the Wally World kitchen stuff for years - it's a lot cheaper the the so-called tool store drawer liner and from what I can see, identical. There's a couple of kinds - the expanded foam and the solid rubber backed which I have on a couple of roll cab tops. This stuff wipes down fairly easily as well

Brian_B 06-02-2008 04:11 PM

Am I the only one in the world who does not know about this stuff? :confused:

Thanks guys. I will definitely look the next time I drive out to that end of town.

Workingwoods 06-03-2008 03:29 AM

I've found the drawer liner stuff at Harbor Freight for a decent price. I use it in drawers full of wood lathe tools, and it's held up well. I like Chet's Velcro idea, though.

malc 06-03-2008 04:57 AM

Summit sell it.

Brian_B 06-03-2008 08:33 AM

Well guys. I had to go by walmart today anyway. I picked up two rolls of the stuff. I have more than one box that needs it. ;)

There were a lot of colors available, but I grabbed black.

Just how many tans do women need in the kitchen? :confused: I was not aware that there was more than one. :rolleyes:

Thanks all,

schnitz 06-03-2008 09:18 AM

Slightly off topic, but....
...Wow, I must've married a great one. My wife put black and white checkerboard contact paper over the shelving in our kitchen. No tans, cremes, or frilly pastel flower prints even made it into the selection process. Of course, she did paint the livingroom pink.....

In a while, Chet.

Rob Keller 06-03-2008 01:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Well I re did Some of mine with vinyl flooring.

You can get it @ any flooring shop I got mine for free because it was left overs. :thumbup:

Its extremely tough & I chose white because it show s the dirt & if you drop something small into a open draw its easy to find what you lost

Its super thick so it does not require any glue & it does not slide around.

R :thumbup:

Kevin45 06-03-2008 03:32 PM


Is there some sort of foam (or something) [that is relatively inexpensive] that I can buy and cut to size to line the drawers to keep from damaging them and stop all the rattling around?
One can also look at the cheaper indoor/outdoor carpet that sells for something like $2.00 a running foot at Lowes and such. It last a long time, thin enough that it does not fill a drawer up, and for a ten spot really cleans up a drawer. Most places carry either the gray or black. I use that in most of my boxes along with some of the WallyWorld kitchen liner.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.