tool brand! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2005, 07:59 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tool brand!

i am Mr.NutCase, i am proud of being a nut and this is a nice forum, well back to tool talk.

which brand of tools are best, i am only 15 3/4 years old, so what tools should have in my tool box, such as wrenches??
i

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2005, 11:37 PM
machinest & A&P Mechanic

Last journal entry: distributer housing...
Last photo:

I think that a large part of it is your own opinion, how the tool fits in your hand, in other words, how comfortable are you with that tool? for instance a guy might like one brand of screw driver, like Klein, and might like craftsman wrenches and hammers, but might like duracraft pliers...

as far as quality for wrenches and ratchets goes, I have never had a problem with the big brands like SK, craftsman, ACE, MAC, snap-on,Allan, proto, williams...

i have only run into one problem with the big $ Mac wrenches. it was that the wrench was machined so close to the size written on it that some of the more expensive aircraft grade bolts would not fit in it without a few blows with a rubber hammer! I guess tho after the wrench got broken in you wouldn't have that problem tho.

some of the not so well known tools like duracraft seam to work great as well.

another factor is WHAT are you working on. some jobs require stubby wrenches, some require a thinner tappet wrench, or maybe an obstruction wrench, their are many many different types of wrenches. what you work on dictates what you need.

the average toolbox when you start out should have a set of combination wrenches, a screwdriver set with different sizes, pliers of diffrent types, snips, magnet, mirror, 1/4 inch to 3/8 drive ratchet sets, adapters, cressent wrench (adjustable wrench) a torque wrench, rubber/plastic hammer, brass/copper hammer, ball peen hammer, punches, putty knifes, razor blades,scissors, pen, pencil, paper(note pad), files

what to get later, more torque wrenches, stubby wrench set, tappet wrench set, obstruction wrench set, ratcheting combination wrenches. deep well sockets micrometers, wire strippers & crimper,a bottle of anti-seize, tap and die set, more files...

their are probably more I just forgot about, but basically you get the drift, your tool collection is ALWAYS growing. the more tools you get the bigger jobs you take on, the bigger the job, the more tools you find out you need to get, so you buy more, you will soon outgrow a small carry toolbox and end up with a huge tool box that you almost need a lawn tractor to move it (no joke). the investment in hand tools can easily be a few thousand dollars, I have a instructor who's tools are in the 20,000 dollar range, but thats including his tool boxes (which cost alot...) but yeah it never ends.... I always just bought tools as I needed em. it helps to buy the tools be4 you rip your car apart tho, or you might not have a ride to the tool store. lol

basic sets tho are them kits you can buy, with wrenches, sockets and a ratchet. that with a few screwdrivers go a long way. but its never enough, I hope this helps.

-Leo-
Old 04-29-2005, 07:26 AM

Last journal entry: Engine Compartment
Last photo:

Old school nut pretty much has it coverd. One thing I do is if I happen to have extra money I will pick up some specialty things that make your life easier, like a serpintine belt tool for example. For your age I'd reccomend craftsman to get yourself started, if you decide to go professional then I'd reccomend the big guys like snap on (my personal favorite) mac, matco, sk etc
Old 04-29-2005, 09:05 AM
expert lurker

Last journal entry: day one!
Last photo:

i'm partial to craftsman, not to expensive, good quality, and sears is really good for replacing damaged tools. with the higher end namnes like snap-on and husky, i found that you pay more for the name. and with snap-on, it takes forever to get anything fixed or replaced.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Frmly sc*ot.

Any well known name brand should be good quality.
Let's face it, making tools isn't rocket science. Well known brands listed in this post are made with good quality heat treated steel, and that's what counts.Other cheap tools made in China or Taiwan are made from low quality, SOFT, metal that will easily bend. I don't want to call it steel, because I can't say for sure that it is steel. Could they be made from iron?
I understand steel is pure iron with carbon added.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:27 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Young guy starting out

I woudl get one of the tool sets (craftsman) from sears..some of mine are 30 years old and still being used..The biggest set you can afford..

OMT
Old 04-30-2005, 04:12 PM

Last photo:

Check out Stanly tools which in my opinion are better than the Craftsman made today and cheaper too even Wal-mart has some of them. Craftsman at one time had some really good tools and are still ok today and I am not knocking them but they just are not the same quality they once were. Of course if you can afford it then the name brand professional tools are the way to go as they will last a lifetime and not let you down when you need them plus there is a heck of a lot more pride in opening a tool box full of Snap-on or Proto tools than the bargain store brands.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:35 PM

Last photo:

It really depends on two things. Usage and budget. If you don't plan on using your tools very much, you may be able to get by with a lesser brand, which would not break your bank. If this is for heavy usage, go with the better brands. I've bought tools from harbor freight, and they did O.K. (Then there was the bent screwdriver episode.) All in all, get the best that you can afford to start off with, and keep expanding.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:16 PM

Husky also makes some fairly decent quality stuff, and their prices arent bad.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:25 PM
just a kid and his truck

Last photo:

i got my snap on box for my birthday/graduation present, not full yet, but getn there, iv never bought anything from the snap on man except wrench holders, yet half my stuff is snap on. gota love having a relative who was master tech years ago. I love all my craftsman tools, like everyone said get what u can afford, craftsman is great, they even have there pro line out which is all smooth and what not. personaly, i love my gear wrenches get them!!! find the set with all of them from 8-19 good luck
Old 05-28-2005, 11:00 PM
goth_rod87

Almost all my hand tools are craftsman.IMO cant beat the quality..I love em....also depending on what your needing pitsburg steel from harbor freight tools... www.harborfreight.com are really decnt tools but I really am a fan of craftsman..they aint never failed me and ive beat em to death quite abit and there still rockin
GOTH
Old 05-29-2005, 08:13 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

it is my understanding, that the Husky tools at HD are the old craftsman tools of a few years back.

I'm liking my kobalts from lowes, made by mac or someone, and of course good old craftsman.

not sure on the quality of the walmart stanley tools, but heck, you break it, take it back and get another.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:28 AM
ATA Welding Technology

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

For hand tools, Craftsman. Good quality, affordable, and you only buy them once. If they break, Sears will replace them free. For power tools tho it's a different thing.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Craftsman makes very good tools for the money. Stay away from their "companion" line. An excellent choice if you want the Snap-On, Mac type is the Craftsman Professional line.

Try to buy Made in USA whenever possible.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.NutCase
i am Mr.NutCase, i am proud of being a nut and this is a nice forum, well back to tool talk.

which brand of tools are best, i am only 15 3/4 years old, so what tools should have in my tool box, such as wrenches??
i
welcome to the forums Mr.NutCase. Are you a toolbox or just crazy? lol I just had to say that.

back to subject, I buy made in usa if possible.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.