Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tool Chest Foam Sheets (shadowing)
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 07:35 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have done this in the past year. I went to a local building supply place that buys up all kinds of building materials in bulk and re sells at a reasonable price. Great buys if you are willing to go through it and get the good stuff. He had rolls and rolls of 3/4 inch thick, dense, closed cell foam that the farmers, ranchers, and horse people gobble up to line their stock trailers. Good, durable, padded protection for the animals footing needs and can be hosed out to get rid of the Horse Manure. He also had rolls of thing closed cell foam that make good wrapping materials for packages and I got a bunch of that. I cut out the thick foam to fit my tool box drawers and traced the tool silhouettes on the black stuff. Used a Dremel tool with a rotary bit to do the cut outs. When each sheet was finished. I used 3M General Purpose Upholstery glue to coat the under side and glued to the thin foam to provide a padded bottom for the tools to rest on. I then installed the stuff in the appropriate drawer and placed the tools in their slots. I will take some pics and show the final product. I still have some boxes to complete and not that my last project is finished, I will get back to them. I have less than $25 in materials, excluding the Dremel tool. One of the best investments in the shop!!

Trees