Tool Chest Foam Sheets (shadowing) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2010, 03:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Tool Chest Foam Sheets (shadowing)

I would like to shadow my most commonly used tools. The problem that I am finding is a way to this on the cheap. I don't want to pay much $ for the "correct" foam. Has anyone done this on a low cost budget? What materials could be considered for this job?

I went to JoAnn Fabrics and all they had was the soft open cell foam, which I am afraid would allow moisture to settle in my tool box.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 03:32 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Had played w/the idea myself. See more HERE.
Good luck.
Old 02-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,165 Times in 1,027 Posts
I wouldn't live without this stuff! I LOVE it!

Here is a how-to thread I did here on Hotrodders. (Click here)

Brian
Old 02-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Last photo:

Brian-

Where did you get the foam from? I was at Wal-Mart today and saw some gym flooring that was 1/2" and also said water resistant. I am thinking of using that stuff and it was WAY cheaper than buying this foam on the web.
Old 02-22-2010, 04:45 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartyon
Brian-

Where did you get the foam from? I was at Wal-Mart today and saw some gym flooring that was 1/2" and also said water resistant. I am thinking of using that stuff and it was WAY cheaper than buying this foam on the web.

I got it at "Bobs foam factory" in Fremont California.

Brian
Old 02-22-2010, 04:57 PM
WFO

Last photo:

I would comment that not all foams are created equal.

I once used some kitchen no-skid drawer liner material from a dollar store in a small tote box I had in the trunk.

Went back weeks later, the tools that had plastic handles had sort of melted the material, leaving dots of the foam stuck to the tools.

Some foam like the kitchen drawer liners will react w/paint, too.

I seriously doubt the better closed cell foam or whatever it is would have those problems, and would be much better at resisting damage from chemicals than the junk I was dealing with. All the same, I think it would be a good idea to get a sample piece or find out the exact material it's made from and look up the properties to see if it'll hold up to garage use.

A good choice might be neoprene, like HERE, but darn- the PRICE!

I'd like to use the 1/4" and 1/2" for the cut out sheets, then back them with 1/8". Would make for a nice "finished" look.

Last edited by cobalt327; 02-22-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-22-2010, 07:03 PM

Last photo:

You are absolutely right. Though the stuff from Sears as well as what I got from "Bob's foam factory" have been great.

Brian
Old 02-22-2010, 07:06 PM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
You are absolutely right. Though the stuff from Sears as well as what I got from "Bob's foam factory" have been great.

Brian
I'm filing that bit of info away, for sure. Can't beat first-hand experience!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:10 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
I'm filing that bit of info away, for sure. Can't beat first-hand experience!
The Sears kit is pretty hard to beat. Because this isn't "just foam" it wasn't cheap at Bob's. Though it is a bit stiffer and holds it's shape better. The Sears stuff has had a few issues with rolling up where I cut it thin along the side. But all in all for using it every day, it has worked GREAT. I HIGHLY recommend taking the evening to do a draw or two. But be sure you think about it and do some "test runs" if you are serious about your production time. It is VERY valuable in speeding up your work if you ask me.

Brian
Old 02-23-2010, 07:35 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I have done this in the past year. I went to a local building supply place that buys up all kinds of building materials in bulk and re sells at a reasonable price. Great buys if you are willing to go through it and get the good stuff. He had rolls and rolls of 3/4 inch thick, dense, closed cell foam that the farmers, ranchers, and horse people gobble up to line their stock trailers. Good, durable, padded protection for the animals footing needs and can be hosed out to get rid of the Horse Manure. He also had rolls of thing closed cell foam that make good wrapping materials for packages and I got a bunch of that. I cut out the thick foam to fit my tool box drawers and traced the tool silhouettes on the black stuff. Used a Dremel tool with a rotary bit to do the cut outs. When each sheet was finished. I used 3M General Purpose Upholstery glue to coat the under side and glued to the thin foam to provide a padded bottom for the tools to rest on. I then installed the stuff in the appropriate drawer and placed the tools in their slots. I will take some pics and show the final product. I still have some boxes to complete and not that my last project is finished, I will get back to them. I have less than $25 in materials, excluding the Dremel tool. One of the best investments in the shop!!

Trees
Old 02-23-2010, 05:57 PM

Last photo:

Well...Ace Hardware had the floor tile mats on sale 6/$9. I cut one up, traced the flat blade screwdrivers, cut them out, and installed them. They really make a drawer look neat. Problem is that my fingers are killing me and I went through 2 razor blades. Fresh blades really make a difference. A new blade goes in like butter. I really like the look. Unfortunately I don't have a picture at the moment but should in a couple of days.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Some guys are super, I'm not

Best foam idea ever!

New guy here, and with a lead in like that, I'd better be good.

This is an idea I looked at a few years ago, but it was too expensive, so I bagged it.

When your wife goes to florist, they will make her a cute arrangement of flowers in a nice vase with a green block of foam in the bottom. If you touch this foam with your fingers, it will immediately crush, and you'll have grainy foam residue on your fingertips.

I don't recall the technical name for it, but if you say "florist foam" everyone will know what you mean.

Florists can only get it in green block shapes, and in small blocks at that. However, foot doctors also use it for making molds of your arch, which they then send to some company to build your custom arch support. That comes in a 2"-3" thick rectangle shape.

As it turns out, there is some chemical you can paint it with that will turn the surface to a plastic-like finish.

My thought was to get this in 1" thick sheets (and stack several for deeper drawers), cut them to the drawer size, carefully set them in, then simply press the tools in the place and to the depth that you want them. Stick a thumb in on one side and a finger or two in on the other to give yourself a grab point. Lay in all the tools you want (pre-arranging without the foam is a good idea), then CAREFULLY take them out with the thumb and finger points you've created.

Apply the chemical sealer, and you now have an effectively blow-molded case that fits exactly your tools, exactly the way you want them.

IIRC, a 1" thick 4'x8' sheet ran about $300, so with the stacking for the deep drawers, I figured my boxes would end up running about $1,000.

For drawer liners!

If the big boys did this in bulk as a kit, there would be no tracing and cutting, just lay-out and press fit. And the price would come way down.

Anyway, that my best foam idea ever.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

I finally got off my keister and took some pictures. This is the only drawer that I have done so far.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:42 PM

Last photo:

That's cool, you left a little too much room between them for my taste but hey, looks awesome!

Brian
Old 03-09-2010, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

I was thinking that too until I played with the drawer. The only one that moves around is the little guy in the middle.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.