tool coating/oil - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2013, 08:09 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

tool coating/oil

Hello, I have some tools that don't get used all that much.. and even tho. they are well cared for (never left out, always cleaned after use) the humid summers cause light rust, enough that electrical pliers will be tight or not move at all.. and need to be soaked in oil etc..
even found some very very light rust on my tap and dies . what is a good long lasting coating I've heard wd40, pam cooking spray/etc but both tend to make a mess of the tool box, and don't last on tools hanging on a peg board.. I have no issue with putting rags under the tools in the box, but then they soak up the coating leaving the tools back were I started..
any ideas??
insulating the garage and heating it is out of the question as it's half way on 2 different lots.. and because of this I have no will to spend any money on it. other than the roof.. I'll build an other on the house lot..
thanks for any ideas..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2013, 10:11 AM

Last photo:

I would try to get some fogging oil.
I use it in my boat engine when I do winter layup. I think is is a spray oil, with a high wax content, and a solvent, that evaporates, leaving a thin layer of wax behind.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:24 AM

Last photo:

There is a product that is a paper impregnated with chemical(s) that prevent rust (corrosion inhibitors). If you've ordered metal or certain tools form a company that uses it you'd recognize it. It's called VCI paper.
Anti Corrosion, VCI Paper & Packaging Solutions | Green-VCI.com is one such company.

I contacted this other mfg'r for a prices and they only had huge quantities. But they did have a "sample" roll for $20. I don't remember the size but it was enough to do 4 very large pro tool boxes and still have half left over. I'll try and take a look at the roll for the company name if you want.

Anyway, I lined all my boxes with this stuff and then laid the non slip toolbox liner over it. The kind with holes. Corrosion is a thing of the past now. It's been in there 2 years and counting, still works fine. Granted my shop is heated but it still helps a lot using this stuff. I have a tool box in the car trailer/hauler as well and it sits outside all on it's own. No heat. The tools I have in there are doing great. So I know the stuff works and lasts a good long time.

That's my suggestion. No mess, inexpensive, long lasting.

EDIT: I looked for you, the company that has 'sample rolls' for only $20 is

Armor VCI Paper

http://www.theruststore.com/Rust-Preventers-C4.aspx has all sorts of products also and might be a one-stop for all such items (or amazon too, lol)

http://www.metalrescue.com carries a water based spray product that I have also used for items out in the barn that are hanging or loose. One application lasts about 2 years.
Metal Rescue - Dry Coat

Last edited by Byronski; 11-08-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:54 PM
Hot Rods are Built, not Bought

Last journal entry: Lakeroadster's '31 Model A Tudor
Last photo:

gearheadslife,

I used to live in Ohio. We moved to Colorado 10 years ago. The stuff I get away with in my shop now in the arid high plains of Colorado never would have worked 11 years ago in the humid climate of the midwest.

I gotta ask, where are you located?

John
Old 11-08-2013, 11:19 PM

Last photo:

I use a lanolin-based product called Fluid Film. It's designed to do exactly what you are asking. It'll protect your tools and any bare iron/steel surfaces from rust without leaving them greasy or oily.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
gearheadslife,

I used to live in Ohio. We moved to Colorado 10 years ago. The stuff I get away with in my shop now in the arid high plains of Colorado never would have worked 11 years ago in the humid climate of the midwest.

I gotta ask, where are you located?

John
east coast new england
Old 11-09-2013, 12:23 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Thanks for the tips/links guys
Old 11-09-2013, 03:25 PM

Last journal entry: Fan Update
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killeratrod View Post
What would be wrong with putting this (or the paper mentioned above) in voids in the car body to keep rust from forming over time?

Last edited by hduff; 11-09-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 03:32 PM

Last photo:

I also noticed that Kobakt offers a toolbox that inhibits rust; the plastic walls are infiltrated with "Zerust corrosion inhibitor.". I purchased one to use at my main business which is located in a harsh environment. So far this past summer, I did not see rust on the tools kept in the toolbox.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:57 PM

Last photo:

I did a little resarch and the best deal on the Zerust liners appears to be at Lowe's (when you factor in shiipping, etc).

Zerust also makes car covers which provide corrosion pretection for 5 years and , while expensive, are interesting.

And they have a 63" x 45" x 19" "table saw" tool cover for $59.95 and one for ATVs, 92" x 53" x 51", for $49.95.

Interesting stuff.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.