Tool rant - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 09:38 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Tool rant

I'm doing some minor fabrication this week(seat brackets) and have been using a bunch of tools both new and well used.

This is what I have found so far:

The keyed Jacobs Chuck for my drill is a low end version(the original was a POS non keyed version that lasted about a week) - and not a big deal that it has worn out. Since it's a 3/8-24 mount for the 1/2" chuck size instead of the usual 1/2-20, they are scarce and now instead of 10-12 bucks that they were 3-4 years ago, are now over $20 !!!

I bought some nice expensive Starrett sawzall blades, made in the good ol' USA. They lasted through 2-3 cuts each in 1/4x1.5 hot roll steel before the teeth disappear. The cheap (in comparison) Home Depot Chinese crap - going and going and going.

Since my C clamps are packed away in anticipation of us moving, I needed to buy a 3". The HD - those were total junk so I went to Lowe's and bought a Bessey. Now you folks that do woodworking know that name well as a very good and a premium priced product. I had to go through 2 full boxes to find one with the stationary jaw that was close to perpendicular to the body for the $5 they cost each. In addition, that stationary jaw is totally out of proportion size wise - way too big - to the movable. Guess what - now they're made in CHINA

I wont even get into the "premium" McMaster Carr drill bits that chipped. They'll be resharpened correctly.

The seat sliders - from Speedway and made in Indonesia - very nice for $17/each.

Dave W

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 01:12 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

It doesnt sound like you had a very good day ...did you get it done ?
the only keyed drill I use is my 9.oo HF air drill I bought it for 1/8 bits only because its a PITA changing bits all the time.the1/8" bit gets used to start every hole I drill so it gets used almost every day... about a year ago the planetary gears broke to pieces I would have lost an hour going to get a new one so I tore it down found the problem and then remembered air ratchets had the gears too, so I replaced them with 3/8 air ratchit gears from my broke air tool bucket its been going fine ever since...
my 3/8 Miketa electric drill is keyless drills all other holes ,I bought it used five years ago at a pawn shop for 20.00 I get all my big bits at the flea market, just get the good brands and resharpen them they cost about a buck a piece,size dont matter I buy a handfull at a time I like the reduced sized shafts so they fit in my 3/8 chuck...
I really like the lenox sawzall blades from Lowes but they are expensive...
I'm sure you know about using cutting oil or pb blaster on bits and blades when drilling and cutting you'll get twice the life out of them...
Now quit chur "bit" chin en git back ta work....yer missin all da fun....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2010, 05:43 PM

IT"S ALL DONE.

I was able to finish the seat installation yesterday between the snow flurries and the freezing rain and running the snow blower (now, if you believe that, then I'll never believe you're from that li'l town just NW of me)

I'll eventually post some pictures of the seats after I rebuild the desk top computer again It went BSOD once again (Black Screen of Death on Thursday). About one more time and I'll just order up a new Dell

Dave W
Old 09-17-2010, 06:15 PM
66 mustang

Wiki Edits: 0

Have to agree to original post, my company sells tools of all types, i recently sold 10 bosch 5 inch grinders and the customer asked me where they were made, i of course told him germany, as i have been a bosch agent for 19 years.The customer looked over the box and it said on it , made in r.o.c.
republic of china.I have never had a price decrease to reflect product made in china.Im NOT happy about that! I also suspect koken tools that im told are made in japan, are also made in china????
Some brands i buy are moving to chinese as well.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:55 PM

I'd be mad too, it must have been embarrassing...
you might not have any snow yet but I'll bet your tuning up up the snow blower and checking the anti-freeze....
Old 09-17-2010, 07:56 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

yep.. I made sure both of my snowblowers still ran yesterday.. also pulled the generator/ starter ( won't turn it fast enough now ) off the old Sears Suburban 12 garden tractor and took it to the electric motor shop so it can get rebuilt, and hopefully get the last mowing in b4 the snow flies... it is nice seeing " Made in U.S.A " on the Delco- Remy tag

I'v found Harbor Freight C clamps a good deal at $1-3 each for larger clamps.. they will break, but they really gotta be cranked.. the tried and true 30+ year old American made clamps are better of course. but I always run out of clamps working on my hotrod, so the HF clamps work good because I don't need a lot of tension to hold it togther
Old 09-17-2010, 08:22 PM

I get all my C clamps from the flea market..they are all ancient and made of cast iron I just throw them in the electrlytic rust tank and they are like new I never paid more than a couple bucks a piece and they are practicly undestructable...I have a whole collection of them up to 12" the flea markets are full of gold...I got a antique copper train whistle with two 15" air horns from the one on Rt 9n just outside of town ,if its still there in toga they had a lot of old tools,dave .but I like going through boxes of and boxes of old tools its fun for me like ....a treasure hunt ...I find a lot of cool stuff...
Old 09-18-2010, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I get all my C clamps from the flea market..they are all ancient and made of cast iron I just throw them in the electrlytic rust tank and they are like new I never paid more than a couple bucks a piece and they are practicly undestructable...I have a whole collection of them up to 12" the flea markets are full of gold...I got a antique copper train whistle with two 15" air horns from the one on Rt 9n just outside of town ,if its still there in toga they had a lot of old tools,dave .but I like going through boxes of and boxes of old tools its fun for me like ....a treasure hunt ...I find a lot of cool stuff...
I had been buying the good Sears 'C' clamps and have a few more name brand US. I stop at yard and flea markets whenever I can for tools and have picked up bargains but usually don't get there soon enough .

The big 50" snow blower just bolts on to my little diesel tractor (a left over from living in the boonies with a huge drive). The little one is a 24" MTD with a HF motor that starts on the first pull tho the carb needs cleaning.

I was in northern Vermont yesterday - it was just plain COLD for now, in the low 50's all day.

My ~5 year Bosch 3/8" drill was made in Malaysia - and it is no prize. The Bosch 14.4v cordless was also made there and it too is not anywhere as good as the 14.4 US made Porter Cable it replaced which had been a US tool, now Chinese since Black and Decker bought them. Oh well ..... we make do with what we can get at the price we are willing to pay.

Dave W
Old 09-18-2010, 06:51 AM

Last photo:

I try to always use Lenox recip saw blades. Cost a bit more but worth it both in cut speed and longevity.

http://www.lenoxtools.com/Pages/home.aspx
Old 09-18-2010, 07:03 AM

Oh - I forgot to mention in my earlier post this morning, got the new chuck for my drill. It's still the low end Jacobs - and that's now made in.....CHINA and looks like a cheap POS from Harbor Freight

Dave W
Old 09-18-2010, 08:03 AM

Well ...like the old saying goes : You get what you pay for ...But thats an old saying and is no longer true. You cant even buy American unless you look very very close at where it was made (it can be in very small print) but the American name is very big...
Snap on used to set the standerd in quality but buy them today and you dont know what you'll get ....all the parts in a snapon air tool are interchangeable with its HFcounter part and just about every other brand you can find with the exception of IR witch is still a quality tool...and has their name s lazer etched on every single piece inside...So if you were an unscrupulous type ,you could buy HF 1/4" and 3/8" air ratchits for 10.00 ,put an old snapon handle on it and sell it at the flea market for 30.00 as a used snapon quick...Kinda like what I suspect snap on does but at 150.00 ea.
I'll put it this way if you buy something at Lowes ,there is a 99% chance its made in china no matter what the name is. look close you'll see. it aint right and sounds like false advertising to me...
and dont get me started on the food we eat the same thing applies at your local grocery store...you need a magnifying glass to see where they are made.by law it has to be there but it dont say how big it has to be...
Old 09-18-2010, 12:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Well ...like the old saying goes : You get what you pay for ...But thats an old saying and is no longer true. You cant even buy American unless you look very very close at where it was made (it can be in very small print) but the American name is very big...
Snap on used to set the standerd in quality but buy them today and you dont know what you'll get ....all the parts in a snapon air tool are interchangeable with its HFcounter part and just about every other brand you can find with the exception of IR witch is still a quality tool...and has their name s lazer etched on every single piece inside...So if you were an unscrupulous type ,you could buy HF 1/4" and 3/8" air ratchits for 10.00 ,put an old snapon handle on it and sell it at the flea market for 30.00 as a used snapon quick...Kinda like what I suspect snap on does but at 150.00 ea.
I'll put it this way if you buy something at Lowes ,there is a 99% chance its made in china no matter what the name is. look close you'll see. it aint right and sounds like false advertising to me...
and dont get me started on the food we eat the same thing applies at your local grocery store...you need a magnifying glass to see where they are made.by law it has to be there but it dont say how big it has to be...
the problem of the big box stores(lowes,Home derpot,etc) is that some manufacturers will sell them a similar looking product that really isn't the same as what a tradesman would buy at the small distributor. for instance american standard sells faucets to home depot and the plumbing supplies. the home depot special will generally use more plastic parts (drain assembly) then the oe i buy at the trade supply store .same box almost identical part numbers faucet looks the same after all they chromeplate plastic and the consumer doesn't know
Old 09-18-2010, 01:19 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
all the parts in a snapon air tool are interchangeable with its HFcounter part and just about every other brand you can find with the exception of IR witch is still a quality tool

The Ingersoll Rand #231 and the Chicago Pneumatic #731-2 (in the MAC cover) are the same tool.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:20 AM

Hey Cobalt ,I dont use impacts much is there any difference in their preformance???? Have you ever had one apart?? CP seems to be a good tool ,I have some pretty old ones that I still use all the time...
Old 09-19-2010, 08:29 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Hey Cobalt ,I dont use impacts much is there any difference in their preformance???? Have you ever had one apart?? CP seems to be a good tool ,I have some pretty old ones that I still use all the time...
Neither of these have been apart. The performance is the same. Neither of these tools were top of the line, so I chalk it up to that, mostly.

It would seem to indicate the IR tools at the upper end might be the better tool, and/or that CP tools aren't (or weren't- these tools are old) quite as bad as some of the "lesser" brands.

Or maybe it doesn't say much about anything. But I thought I'd mention it just the same.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.