Hot Rod Forum banner

Toolbox shadow foam

56K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  tresi 
#1 · (Edited)
I want to in-lay or "shadow" my tools with a 1/4in layer of foam in the bottom of the drawer- then trace and cut out my tool shapes on a 1/2 layer of another color. Like military/aviation industries.

Can anyone recommend a company that I can order closed cell foam in sheets or short rolls, that isn't stupid expensive? I just want two different colors of foam, in 1/4" and 1/2" thicknesses, maybe 4-6 lbs densities.

The kits that some companies sell for this particular purpose is ridiculously expensive for a few pieces of foam. And the other places that may have the foam don't sell to the public or only have it in black, or 100' rolls.

Thanks!
Nooj

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll look at the foam factory and see what they have. I haven't seen the mats at Wally world- but I'll check 'em out next time I go.

Anyone else do this with their boxes? I know the boxes we had in the Air-wing had the red foam. They wrote the serial numbers next to the tools- but you could easily put socket or wrench sizes or something like that with a sharpie (if the foam's light enough for the marker to show up). I just always thought it was sharp looking- and killer easy to locate and determine what tools are missing.

Nooj

#5 ·
I like the idea!

It also reminds me of a photo I saw in an Australian car magazine a few months ago.. it showed the toolkit out of a 1929 Bugatti. The tools and spare spark plugs etc were set into wood.. I'm going to do something similar for the truck I'm currently building.

Dunc.

#6 ·
i am in the Air Force, so i have plenty of experience with this tool shadowing stuff. It does make your box look really nice, but if you have a lot of tools, it takes up a lot of room as well. I had mine at home fixed this same way, but i used the 1/2 blue insulation foam from Lowes, it was very cheap, cut easy with a dremal and was very strong in the box.

#7 ·
Anyone else do this with their boxes? I know the boxes we had in the Air-wing had the red foam.
A lot of places do it any more. In factories it is part of what they call 5S (five-s) It has to do with cleaning , organizing, blah, blah, blah. But putting the tools in foam is now the "big" thing to do. So large in fact that there are now companies out there, that if you give them a list of the tools that you have, the drawer sizes, they will CNC cut foam to your tools or you can submit drawings for them to make it to.

#8 ·
A bit off topic, but...

I have seen the 5-S stuff in action. Properly done, it does actually work. Works well enough that in the industry I work in (window and door manufacturing), my employer is still going steady and is busy all year, while some other local companies barely work 24 hrs per week.

IMO, however, a better option than using all that foam would be to just work on a better layout for all the stuff you have. I've "preached" this before. I have seen some people who have the huge boxes, and have over half of it filled with needless items. Old carb parts, pinion seals for a '49 Olds, you name it. Some others have a single older "mini" roll-away cabinet and they have only the stuff they need in it.

In a while, Chet.

#10 ·
302 Z28 said:
I have seen 5S in action also. We throw away new parts only to order them again in six months....great program :rolleyes: .

Vince

That's why I said, "Properly done". I've seen excess good stuff tossed out too. Great bargains can be had if you know which dumpter to be at.... :thumbup:

In a while, Chet.

#11 ·
RacerJD13 said:
I had mine at home fixed this same way, but i used the 1/2 blue insulation foam from Lowes, it was very cheap, cut easy with a dremal and was very strong in the box.
Neato- I've gotta go to Lowes today. I'll try to find that stuff you're talking about. Is it the insulation panels (1/2" rigid foam) that you insulate stuff with?

Right now I've got 4 big tool boxes, and a couple small ones... And they're all (for the most part) empty- no tools in 'em. So, I'm not worried about having extra junk in them- I'm just trying to find a way to keep it organized so I don't get extra junk in them in the first place. :mwink: I'm not the only one who will use these boxes- so having everything shadowed wouldn't leave much room for error when putting everything back (you know how it goes when friends and neighbors use tools- then you can't find anything!)

Nooj

#16 ·
BOTH, Ricoch3t! :)

Have you ever seen those pool toys called "noodles"? The foam I've seen used for shadow foam is just like that; Firm closed cell foam, and easily cut with a razor knife. Your tools fit into it like a hand in a glove! As for ease of use- it's awesome! No tools rattling around or sliding, or mixing up. It's always where you left it. Everything is organized and easily grabable. You may have to get creative when shadowing tiny or very thin tools, so that you don't have to "dig" 'em out of the foam.

One of the coolest parts about the foam is that when you look through your tool box- you can immediately see which tools are missing. You can label every tool right next to it on the foam (with a sharpie, if you use light enough colored foam- red foam works good) so grabbing the right size will only take a glance. And when other people use your tools, they'll know exactly where to put 'em back :thumbup:

Nooj

#17 ·
Kevin45 said:
A lot of places do it any more. In factories it is part of what they call 5S (five-s) It has to do with cleaning , organizing, blah, blah, blah. But putting the tools in foam is now the "big" thing to do. So large in fact that there are now companies out there, that if you give them a list of the tools that you have, the drawer sizes, they will CNC cut foam to your tools or you can submit drawings for them to make it to.
Do you know the names of the companys that do shadowing. I have 20 boxes that need cnc shadowed. mmanson

#18 · (Edited)
Do you know the names of the companys that do shadowing. I have 20 boxes that need cnc shadowed.
Here is one source for the foam.

The companies that did it, I have either read in Modern Machinist or in Modern Machine Shop, which both copies are still at work I believe. I'll look when I get there and see if I can post them up. The above source may also do it or know a supplier that would.

Here are a couple of articles that may list someone. I don't have time to read all the way through as I am off to the shop

http://www.fedvendor.com/vendor_directory/index.htm?fstype=1&fkeyword=Foams

http://www.amtonline.com/publication/article.jsp?pubId=1&id=1338&pageNum=2

#22 ·
Hey- thanks for sharing your blog! I really enjoyed the tips and walk through of how you did your shadowing; And the tip on the Ozark Trail pads is awesome! Now I have a lead on what to use when I shadow mine. Yeah... I know- it's been 4 years since this thread started, and I STILL haven't done it, lol! I've had my Chevelle for longer, and yet to see it run. I'm just slow (and always broke).

I appreciate the new life you brought to this old topic :)

Nooj

#23 ·
Shadow Foam

This is frigging SPECTACULAR! I have never heard of such a thing. For YEARS I have been trying to placate my OCD needs as it pertains to my tool box. Now I can...can...can... sorry I am a little emotional right now, ORGANIZE MY TOOL BOX! If I weren't at work I would do it right now. Thanks!

#26 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.