Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Toolboxes
Thread: Toolboxes
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 04:22 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Snap-On. J/K!

As far as who has the best deals, it all depends on a few key things.

What is your budget? Top dollar, what is the most you can afford to spend on tool storage? Ultimately, you have to be realistic and firm in your decision on how much to spend on your new box. I know a younger guy who is in deep poo over his inability to do this. He's 23, and currently unemployed, and he just had to have that $5,000 Snap-On box because he got that job as an oil changer at Midas. Lord knows the box made him a professional in his career path.

What's the intended use? Does your livelihood depend on what you have tucked neatly into every drawer, or is this new box going to be your newest homeowner/shadetree tech storage catch-all? My boss has a Kennedy setup that is nearly 10 feet wide, and is supremely organized with almost every tool under the sun, and one of the other guys there has an old Craftsman box that is 26" wide that has just the basic stuff needed for the normal upkeep stuff (no, that's not mine, but mine does fall nearer the smaller box).

Also, do not be afraid to look at the not so common places for a deal. Heck, I was in the local Menards today and they had a 52" top chest and rolling 22 drawer bottom cabinet for about $700. With ball bearing drawers and a large, full-width pull-out work surface. The whole combo was cheaper than most 40" Craftsman units, and it had a comparable build quality. Some Harbor Freight units appear to probably be the same. Just don't run out and buy the first one you find.

In a while, Chet.