Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Tools
Thread: Tools
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2008, 09:06 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Sure you can break a Snap-On or Proto, etc tool if you try hard enough but again whether or not it will be replaced free is beside the point. The replacement costs (or not) or replacement availability is not the issue, it is whether the tool will do the job or not. Will it work when you need it? Will it hold up under the sometimes necessary abuse? In short CAN YOU COUNT ON IT! Fellows that little example I gave about the Ranger trans was not just something I thought up it actually happened and the guy at the shop not only lost a day's work he also lost a customer. I have seen similar things happen many times but I used that one because we had been discussing Craftsman and I knew that was what had failed in that instance. I am not trying to belittle Craftsman or any brand of tool here I am just trying to make the point that for the pro success or failure depends on the quality of your tools and when your financial future is at stake you can not afford to cut costs here. Just as with that transmission bolt the money lost on that job more than offset any thing he saved by going to Sears for the tools that he used, the tools that let him down. If you are working on hot rods for a hobby or just doing home mechanic work then Craftsman tools or similar may be just the ticket but the pro has his very career depending on what is in that tool box. Would you buy a cut rate price parachute or scuba equipment because of a lifetime replacement warranty? I would pay full price for Snap-on or Proto WITHOUT a warranty before I would take Craftsman or the like into the workplace because I have seen first hand what will happen and what you save now will cost you more when they let you down and it will happen sooner than you might think!