tools - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2006, 09:44 PM
gotta love it

Wiki Edits: 0

tools

hi guys, i dont post very often, infact i think this is my second time.
but to the point, i am a senior in high school and i am enroling in osu olkmulgee in oklahoma, and i was brought to the attention that i need to buy quite abit of tools, i will get a 50% discount on snap on and mac tools and i might be enrolling next week for next school year, i was wondering, can you all give me idea of what i will need to buy, i know a box is neccasary but what tools would you recomend i need for school, and internship? thanks for the help

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2006, 10:58 PM

Last photo:

probably basic hand tools mostly. sanding blocks of different sizes, a 6" orbital sander, hammer and dolly set, sockets and wrenchs to start out with. The school should have bigger items like mig welder, ect. In fact the school may give you a list of what you need to buy. Snap on has some nice tools, but they are pricey. I try to stay away from the truck, to easy to get a big bill to pay off when you only have to give a little bit of cash and have a brand spankin new tool. But I suppose when you are a student and get a 50 percent discount, that is the time to acquire some. But most students are broke enough going through school. Just don't let it get too out of hand. Things may be a little different when you get out of school and do it as your job. Make sure those tools are going to be how you make your money before you have many thousands into them. Just my opinion. A stud welder is nice to have as well as some good paint guns. Here is one thread where they discuss basic tools you may need.
Wow where do I start?

Your blocks and sanders, grinder, hammers and dollys, paint guns, and sockets and wrenches is probably be what you will be using most often though. And of course good safety equiptment like respirator, eye and hearing protection.

Last edited by kenseth17; 11-15-2006 at 11:05 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:09 AM
STUPID is as STUPID does...

Last wiki edit: Crankshaft Coalition Wiki Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I would think the school would have requirements list for the class/es you will be taking. I would contact them. Talk to the instructor also, if anybody would know he would.
Mark
Old 11-16-2006, 07:23 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

And ask him about last years "washouts". Maybe they want to sell their tools at a DISCOUNT!!
Old 11-16-2006, 07:51 AM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Contact the school before you buy anything ....they should have a list of required stuff.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:24 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

If you are looking for tools that you need in class, by all means, check with the instructor. If you are looking ahead to the time after school, I would wait for a while. You would hope to complete the education and continue on in that profession. There is also a chance that you will decide that it isn't for you. If you finish school and go to work, you will find right away what you will need. A bunch of high dollar paint guns probably won't be necessary for a body man. Most around here only need a primer gun (about $100 or less) You will need many pairs of vice grips, hammers, dollies, sanding blocks, and typical hand tools(wrenches and sockets) to start.

Tools are a big investment, and should be purchased according to the needs. Keep in mind that you make no money with the toolbox, it is what's in it, and your ability, that makes the money.

Aaron

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.