Tools - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2008, 06:26 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I like SnapOn Dial for precision, click type for routine work. I like Matcos 1/2 inch 250LB model.

HAVE YOUR TORQUE WRENCHES CALIBRATED ON A REGULAR SCHEDULE or buy a zilion heilcoils and time serts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2008, 11:41 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
And here is the real problem with the tool trucks. They go on vaction, they are sick, they for got to order that tool that broke. We have at our shop right now a Snap on tool that broke. Yep they break too. It has been on order for over 6 weeks. i have seen this over and over with the tool trucks. You owe them big money and you get warranty. If you don't owe them a ton of money or you anf him don't get along for what ever reason, good luck.

It's been 9 weeks now, still no warranty tool. We have not seen the Snap On guy for 2 weeks. He has gone racing.

It is hard to make a living with broken tools of any brand.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:09 PM

Last photo:

Deal with SnapOn direct, if you need something right away.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:35 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHD
Deal with SnapOn direct, if you need something right away.
I emailed Snap-On about the broken tool. Seems it has been discontinued. They did relpy in just a few minutes. NOW

Our Snap-On man just came by and said he is leaving and today is his last day. He thought somebody might come by in a few weeks but he did not know that for sure.

This is the kind of service I have always had with the tool trucks. I agree that the Snap-On tools are great but the service after the sale stinks. I can buy 2-3 Craftsman tools for the price of a snap-on and get all the tools I need the same day at Sears, Kmart even sells them now.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Did you ever wonder?

Last journal entry: Valve Body
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin45
Your only 18, s don't expect to have the same expensive setup as a person that has been in the business for the last 25 years. He started out with cheaper tools and worked his way up as he could afford it. And also remember that after you get out of school, does not guarantee that you will have a job to make the monthly payments on a $7000 S.O. box and $10,000.00 worth of tools.
I don't do it for a living anymore but I'm pretty sure any pro wrench twister who has been at it a decade or more has ten times that in tools if they add it up.

I was a Craftsman guy when I started out too.

oldred is right. Cheap tools are way too expensive in the long run.

Get what you need to get by but stuff that lasts longer pays for itself in the long run. I, too, like Snappy and Matco. Get a good relatonship going with your rep. I used to buy up his trade-ins. He loved us(We paid in Cash). Much greater bargaining power like that. He warrantied it, too.

Rich
Old 10-20-2008, 11:33 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
I emailed Snap-On about the broken tool. Seems it has been discontinued. They did relpy in just a few minutes. NOW

Our Snap-On man just came by and said he is leaving and today is his last day. He thought somebody might come by in a few weeks but he did not know that for sure.

This is the kind of service I have always had with the tool trucks. I agree that the Snap-On tools are great but the service after the sale stinks. I can buy 2-3 Craftsman tools for the price of a snap-on and get all the tools I need the same day at Sears, Kmart even sells them now.
Still no Snap-On man. Just sent this email to Snap-On:

I have a gax1 that is broken. It has been broken since the first part of July. The Snap On man at that time, said it was on back order. He has quit, we have not seen a rep in about a month. I understand that this tool has been discontinued? What to do?
Old 10-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

I brought some smaller size craftsman stuff and it works great, however for the bigger sizes i use snap on. It is worth it, this way I dont have to drive 30+ min. to get a replacement. I have never had to get one of my tools replaced yet. 1/2 and up I use snap on. Thoughout my life in the shop I have slowly brought snap on tools and have full socket sets in 1/2 and 3/8. It was worth EVERY penny. (and the $ I save on gas is nice)
Old 10-20-2008, 10:17 PM

Last wiki edit: Hand cleaner Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

RPM, have you tried calling the Snap-on corporate office?
besides the dealer, they have reps that can come out, you just need to make enough noise to get their attention.
Old 10-21-2008, 11:28 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Just got an email back from Snap-On, Lets see how long this takes.

Hello Ron,

I have forwarded your request to his business manager and he will be contacting you regarding this matter.

Thank you,
Natalie Morgan
877-762-7664
Old 11-04-2008, 07:01 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

2 more weeks still nothing from Snap-On. This has been going on now since the first week of July!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:30 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
2 more weeks still nothing from Snap-On. This has been going on now since the first week of July!

This is what I used to do at work:
- Send a followup email to the person you are "working" with.
- Wait one day to one week, depending on the urgency - one day for this one - for their response, then if none, send a second followup along with a copy to the group supervisor. You can probably get that with an "innocent" phone call.
- Wait another day or so, then contact the highest level you can find a name and email address. I've gone as high as a company president/owner or very high government official.

Dave W

Believe me, this works
Old 11-05-2008, 08:44 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

It is not really that big of a deal on this broken tool. The point is. These are hi dollar tools and there is no service after the sale. NONE. I just wanted to let the new guys that are shopping for tools what to expect. A lot of folks are sold on Snap-On, and that is fine, just don't expect them to make up anything. On the other hand just suppose this was something you did need to make a living with everyday?

I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:38 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

How well I understand - but after a while the principle of customer service, or lack thereof becomes more important. I too have a Snap-On tool that has no service parts either - a 'like new' but 40+ year old compression tester. Fortunately it was fixed with a $.50 buna-n o-ring.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:20 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Well it is Friday. I have been on the phone with Snap-On last week. A Snap -On rep was supposed to be here on Monday. NO SHOW! I called the area manager again on Wednesday. He promises a dealer will be here today. I'll keep you all posted.

The lady on the phone at Snap On suggested I drive about 50 miles to the nearest dealer and get it made up. Lets see 50 miles down and 50 miles back and a half a day wasted. Now that makes a lot of sense.

I can't belive there are no dealers closer to us than 50 miles away. We are in downtown Knoxville, TN. There is a Cummins engine dealer less than a mile, Cat engine dealer, Detroit enegine dealer, Peterbilt Truck, International truck and a Kenwoth dealer all less than 2 miles from us. So we are not out in the middle of nowhere. I guess no one wants to be a Snap On man.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:51 PM

Last journal entry: more trial fitting
Last photo:

RPM, I share your frustration. Broken tools suck. Here in Missouri (Kansas City Airport area) Snap on has a employee driving a tool truck. She tells me that this is a corporate solution to routes that can't seem to keep a owner operator going. Supposedly Snap On recoginizes the problem, but I know not much help when you need it.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.