Tools - Page 5 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2008, 02:53 AM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

I made my start with Craftsman tools, and tool boxes. This was back in 1971, when their tools were made of better quality than what they are now. I still have some of the original tools left in my Snap-on tool box. The first, and last time I went to get tools replaced, it was quite obvious the quality was not the same. I have a few Proto, and SK sockets, I have purchased over the years, to replace the old broken Craftsman sockets. I still use the 1/2" drive ratchet I bought back then on occasion. You will not find a better 1/2" deep 12PT socket set better than Sears sold in 1971. It is thin walled, and the flutes go almost down to the bottom. I still use them to remove lug nuts on a lot of after market rims, to this day. I can stack 3 to 4 lug nuts inside of the socket. I have only broken the 3/4", and replaced it with a Snap-on socket.

The tool boxes, I traded for a newer Corn well top and bottom box, which I traded in, on my first Snap-on box. It was a 6 month old, slightly used KL773 I got for $4,000's less the $1,200 trade in. I was given a $5,000 trade in 4 years later on the box I have now. It was on sale new for $7,200 8 years ago. This box still looks better than it did coming out of the shipping crate. I have been told I will be given top dollar trade in, if I want a bigger box.

The moral of this story is, take good care of what you purchase, and it can save you money in the long run.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 08:56 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

As a working professional who has to deal with over torqued parts all the time here is my tips for tools

Screw drivers you need quality here but also remember they are the most disposable tools you will ever own, get good ones with wrench flats on them. Brands do not matter in fact if you can get euro ones as they are far superior to most US and cheaper too.

Sockets avoid 12pt at all costs until you get rich and have money to dispose of.

Snap on great quality but very expensive
Mac great quality better pricing
SK good quality best pricing

Ratchets
SK pro series they are fine tooth super heavy duty and do not have fancy over priced ergonomic bull handles. Word of note if anyone tells you that a ratchet handle is comfortable walk away from them because a ratchet is hardly ever used that way.

Wrenches
I prefer the snapon long pattern mac's are fine too cornwell is a third runner up, this is a major investment treat it this way.

Ignition wrenches get craftsman they are quite nice at a fair price.

Tool box go used and unless the box is from the 70's do not buy a snapon .

Best box I have ever used was an equipto you can load the draws with 400 lbs no other box in production today can meet that.

80-90's Mac's are great boxes that can hold a lot of weight in each draw, made from heavy weight steel.

Pliers
Kipinx and Felco they are euro styled one pair can replace several of the traditional type of pliers from the US brands.

Get your hands a of few machine and industrial suppliers catalogs MSC, Fastenal, etc.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:10 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bssc
Tool box go used and unless the box is from the 70's do not buy a snapon .

Best box I have ever used was an equipto you can load the draws with 400 lbs no other box in production today can meet that.

etc.
Give us proof the Snap-on box is inferior...............to another tool box.

Mine weighed 4729 lbs 3 years ago, and weighed 896 lbs empty shipping weight.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:26 PM

Last photo:

Snap-On is inferior, to a bank vault maybe! My old Snap-On box is built like a tank and has been trouble free for many years and has been WAAAAY overloaded for most of those years, mostly with more junk than tools however.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:02 PM
My 2 cents worth

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Snap-On is inferior, to a bank vault maybe! My old Snap-On box is built like a tank and has been trouble free for many years and has been WAAAAY overloaded for most of those years, mostly with more junk than tools however.
The newer boxes quality are just as excellent as the older boxes.

My box is a KRL1003B shipped 10/07/02, shipping weight was 1019 lbs(I am now looking at the actual shipping copy).
Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

In general, I agree with Bssc. I can lose a screw driver simply by turning around, so inexpensive goes here(many of mine are Blackhawk seconds picked up at Hershey or Carlisle for $.50 - $1.50 each). Hand tools - I really like my Snap-on short and long wrenches and sockets plus my S-K metrics and for sure the S-K ratchets.

I guess that my early '60's Snap on box is OK (it used to be called the Master Chest then, now - it's just a dinky little sub box compared to the monsters of today ). Since I'm a long way from the 'trade' now, a couple of Crapsman and a Husky are fine for my HOBBY'S main boxes - plus several very full former kitchen cabinets with drawers.

Dave W

Last edited by Irelands child; 12-01-2008 at 07:14 AM. Reason: To make sense
Old 12-08-2008, 07:27 AM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

5 months still no warranty and its been over 2 months since we have seen a Snap-On rep. Great service after the sale.

I have gotten better service from Harbor Frieght!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM
5 months still no warranty and its been over 2 months since we have seen a Snap-On rep. Great service after the sale.

I have gotten better service from Harbor Frieght!
At that rate, you should ship it to my area's Snap-On guy (on their nickel of course) and let him deal with it. As my dad would say, "Send it Jack-arse express..." to where it belongs. That does suck.

In a while, Chet.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:34 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

I offered to send it to Snap-On on my nickel. They did not want to do that, said it would get lost in the shuffle at the factory. I'll just keep everyone posted in the meen time.
Old 12-21-2008, 03:35 PM

In 71 when I got out of the military, I went to work in an independent VW shop where my brother was the shop forman. I was told by the boss and my brother to buy the best that you could afford. Well I followed their advice, started with Snap- ON $10.00 a week, it took a little time to get the money coming in so I could raise my tool investment ( yes an investment ) I still have 90% of my original tools. They now set in my garage collecting dust, they don't get abused like they used to. My last tool box was the KRA 557, which was added to the other KRA 557, they are mounted on a common frame so they are like one big box that I can barely move, about 3100 lbs.
I Sent from 71 until 99 as a mechanic . From 74thru 99 I worked as a Heavy Equiupment Mechanic / welder. Now I have a state job, they furnish
everything but it is not Snap-On. Like Old Red said buy the best that you can afford.

OLD HEMI
Old 02-09-2009, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

Snap On,Matco, and Mac, are the brand I like the most
For plyiers I recommend Matco, they look bettet than snappy
Old 02-09-2009, 01:00 PM

Last photo:

The best warrenty is the one you dont have to use,
That is what the snap on man said
Old 02-10-2009, 06:28 AM

Last photo:

I'm sure this was stated already. Look at the used Mac, Snapon tools from the truck or Craigslist. Better to not go into debt ever. Shawn
Old 02-10-2009, 08:00 PM
World Class ASE tech

Last photo:

Well being as this thread got dug up again. Just wanted to let everyone know. That the Snap On southeast rep came by on Jan 7th to get the techs money on accounts that they owe. What was really funny is this was the same guy I talked to months ago. When I confonted him about their piss poor service he did not know what to say. He promised me there would be a rep out in the next few weeks. Well still no tool and still no Snap On truck. It has been over 7 months now. Still no service from Snap On.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:15 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi RPM,
I Think it might be Snap-ons hard nosed attitude about what the independent tool dealer has to have as the reason why you don't have a dealer yet, a massive truck & inventory witch requires the independent dealer to go into debt for as much as some houses cost, then you have to extend credit to the techs, I don't see why he can't do the same thing in a pick-up or van, give the techs a phone # to an answering machine, need something? call, or a web site, click to order, & you make your daily rounds with some common hand & air tools, along with snap-ons latest offerings, they don't need to have a bunch of boxes & tools with them everywhere they go, use catalogs, fliers, go talk with the techs, utilize the kiss system.
Rich

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.