Hot Rod Forum banner

Which tools do you really need?

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  senor_limpio 
#1 ·
I am contemplating my first transmission rebuild. I have a couple of th400s which I want to swap parts out so I don't have to get a custom driveshaft. Plus I will have the pride of having built the tranny in my new cadillac. I figure while I am pulling the two trannies apart, I might ought to go through it and make sure it doesn't need any new pieces.

So while it may not exactly be a rebuild that is basically what it is going to end up being. I have to pull apart two th400s and then put one back together.

I looked under rebuild in this particular forum and did not find alot of information on what tools you really need to rebuild the th400. I did find alot of useful advice, but none to tell me what I really need toolwise. And a search of the knowledge base did not turn up much either.

I have a Haynes GM transmission book. I have a basic assortment of hand tools(sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, etc). I have a table sturdy enough and big enough to hold the two transmissions. Well I will when I put the top on. I have read the book and seen the list of tools, but I cannot tell from that what I really need. I want to do this right, but also budget is a big concern. SO I figured to ask those who have actually done this so I can know what I need to get.

See less See more
#3 ·
tools

The very first th-350 trans i rebuilt i had no special tool to do it. But you are going to need one or two buddys there to help and a box of bandaids...... I had someone push the retainer down on the clutch packs with there thumbs and i would remove the retaining ring with a small screwdriver.... I will tell you it was a miserable way to work...... You can get through most of it but i think you will run into problems removing the front pump with out a pump puller or a slide hammer to screw into the threaded pump holes. What i did for my first one is i put 2 bolts into the threaded holes of the pump and then i have a pair of vice grips that i removed the adjusting screw and replaced it with a threaded rod and a peice of steel making it into a slide hammer....I clamped it onto the bolts and pulled the pump. That was over 60 transmissions ago. I now have all the proper tools and wonder how i ever did it without them?????

Keith

#4 ·
I've done TH350's with a spring compressor for the clutch packs, pair of snap ring pliers and other misc. tools to get me though. :D Was still a pain in the butt, but got the job done. To get the front pump out - before I had a slide hammer, I just used a piece of all thread and slipped one of those flat crowbars (like you would use to remove baseboards) and a nut on the other side. Just tapped with a hammer a few times and she popped right out! :thumbup:

Rock on and God bless...

Señor

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.