Tools look like they are made In USA - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
My bottom line thoughts....

Import a high quality tool, then back it with a real warranty, and I may use it. But what we need to do is start exporting. Lets start with the EPA and OSHA.....

Ina while, Chet.

Right there with you on that!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
My engine came with a 1 year warranty..........I imagine that is the same as Honda....whether they would honour it, I wouldn't know......I don't know anything about the conditions in the plant where it was built, as I imagine, neither do any of you.......All I know is, I seemed to get a decent product for an exceptional price. BTW, it was on sale....I think it was regular $429...still a long ways from $999...........Ask me in a year if I am satisfied with this product and I will let you know.
Old thread alert........

Since it was brought back up.....about that Chinese engine I bought....Cut the grass with it all summer and it still works fine.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	National9 022 (Medium).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	40745   Click image for larger version

Name:	National9 024 (Medium).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	40746  

Budget RVs
Old 09-16-2009, 05:56 PM

Last photo:

You Briggs&Stratton fans need to know that it is owned by a Korean/Chinese manufacturer now.
Old 09-16-2009, 07:24 PM

Last photo:

A whole summer! I made the mistake of buying a craftsman mower a few years back and it lasted for about 1.5 years and then the carburator failed, went to sears and got a rebuild kit did not help the problem, bought a whole new carb worked for several months then started doing the same thing. It was maddening to get half way done with the yard and spend the next two hours breaking down the mower trouble shooting the damn thing. Gave it away free on craig's list. Craftsman has farmed most of their manufacturering out to China. To quote Tommy Boy, "you can take a crap in a box and stamp guarenteed on it". Just spent $7000 on a new E-Z go golf truck made in USA when the $5500 dollar one was made over seas. No thanks.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

BUY AMERICAN MADE and you will keep Americans working.Whether they live in the US or CAN, MEX.
Spend your money in your town. Use the local hardware store where u can still buy 1 bolt without all the packaging.
Help m keep those people working.
Buy American cars. , cloths etc.
Just imagine if we did that how many jobs would be created again.http://www.madeinusa.org/
Old 09-20-2009, 11:45 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
BUY AMERICAN MADE and you will keep Americans working.Whether they live in the US or CAN, MEX.
Spend your money in your town. Use the local hardware store where u can still buy 1 bolt without all the packaging.
Buy American cars. , cloths etc.
Just imagine if we did that how many jobs would be created again.http://www.madeinusa.org/

DING DING DING! Here's a guy who knows how to stimulate the economy. No tax hikes or 'stimulus' plans needed.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:35 AM
Revolution Calling

Last journal entry: Poverty caps live on.
Last photo:

'Dollars are like votes, except that they actually count.'
Old 10-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Chinese engines

Honda seems to set the bar for the small engine market. However, when I built my own log splitter about 5 years ago, I priced out the Honda power for it. (Also the Briggs and the Tecumseh) Hmmmm....

So I went with an "el cheapo" Honda clone from China - a 6.5 hp horizontal shaft, with the brand name "Champion" on it. $99.00 at Costco

It has been used hard, and often. (Average about 5-6 cords per year for my own use and a bunch of wood for friends as well) It still starts on the first or second pull, does not smoke, makes no funny noises, purrs like a kitten and I can split a 3 foot diameter Douglas Fir log without worries. At 99 bucks a copy, if I ever do blow it up, its still better than anything else out there. Same ones are sold at "Horrible Fright", Northern, and many other places.
Old 10-03-2009, 04:44 PM

Last photo:

"BUY AMERICAN MADE and you will keep Americans working.Whether they live in the US or CAN, MEX.
Buy American cars. , cloths etc."

Well said. I love a bargain too but we've given away our manufacturing base, and soon our economy and quality of life for trinkets made by Chinese child labor.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:06 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffB
Not all Wal-Mart products are Chinese,I completely rewired my '54 and needed a lot of electrical connectors, Wal-Mart had all 3M Brand made in the USA connectors, CSK and Autozone connectors and switches are all chinese.
Ever get a toggle switch thats labeled wrong. I got one from wally world
Shane
Old 10-03-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
My bottom line thoughts....

Import a high quality tool, then back it with a real warranty, and I may use it. But what we need to do is start exporting. Lets start with the EPA and OSHA.....

Ina while, Chet.
EPA, let's see didn't china shut down many of there plants because of smog for the olympics. OSHA, would you rather be a coal miner here or in china?
Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
But, I bought a Chinese knockoff engine a few weeks ago for one of my garden tractors. It is 13 hp, electric start and looks exactly like the $999 Honda engine, except ist black, not red. I paid $288 for it....it runs great, starts first pull (I haven't hooked up the electric start yet)....That is just about 1/4 of the Honda price...If it lasts just 1/2 the time, I am still way ahead. Chinese products are getting better all the time and will continue to do so.....
Do you know why that engine is so cheap besides lower quality materials and parts? It is because china had to put basically $0 into research and development. They bought a honda engine and then reversed engineered it. Honda will go through the process and sue them, it will take a while and cost a lot of money and when they win the Chinese company will just shut down and reopen in a new name and make the engine again and the process starts all over again. That is why there are so many different Chinese moped brands and everyone I have worked on has been absolute JUNK!!!

I am glad the engine is working great for you, it may run for a long time, but you are supporting a company that steals designs and profits off it.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:20 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

The following is true... ever try to get service/replacement parts for a chinese moped/pit bike? HAHAHAHA!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorulz
Do you know why that engine is so cheap besides lower quality materials and parts? It is because china had to put basically $0 into research and development. They bought a honda engine and then reversed engineered it. Honda will go through the process and sue them, it will take a while and cost a lot of money and when they win the Chinese company will just shut down and reopen in a new name and make the engine again and the process starts all over again. That is why there are so many different Chinese moped brands and everyone I have worked on has been absolute JUNK!!!

I live by this as much as possible... you can still find a lot of American made stuff by searching online, and be aware of the product labeling. Some try to have a little USA flag there and no 'made in usa' on it. Also- 60% made in usa is sure better than 'made in china'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhorn
"BUY AMERICAN MADE and you will keep Americans working.Whether they live in the US or CAN, MEX.
Buy American cars. , cloths etc."

Well said. I love a bargain too but we've given away our manufacturing base, and soon our economy and quality of life for trinkets made by Chinese child labor.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:51 AM
boatbob2

china steals Honda engine know-how,,,,,

HI,the way i heard it,was that China BOUGHT the rights to manufacture a few of the Honda engines.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

I personally know someone who has been hired to do research on honda's behalf to prove honda's design was stolen.

I should have mentioned that not ALL engine designs made in china are stolen but a good portion are. The old honda engines that were found in the trail bikes (mini trail 50, trail 70, trail 90 and trail 110) that are now made in china are legit. A few years ago the patents ran out on the molds so now anyone can make them. That is why the market got flooded with them and parts for them a few years ago.

Last edited by snorulz; 10-07-2009 at 08:06 PM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.