Tools look like they are made In USA - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Tools look like they are made In USA

At my work (kinda like autozone but we wear red shirts) they have their cheap chinese tools, ampro. So, here is my warning to all of you guys on this. Feel free to provide your own input as well.

They have a lifetime warranty since they're so cheap to make (china, 5 cents a day), and they have a little patriotic symbol in the corner, but it's red and yellow stripes, matching the rest of the package decor, with a star in the middle, reading below it 'lifetime warranty'.

I feel that the little 'stars and stripes' symbol is meant to mislead consumers to think that the tools are an American made product. I'd like to be able to do something about this, but I think I'm just left to tell you guys and ask for advice, and maybe we can organize something and ask a consumers advocate group to do something about this, as well as the 60% American=Made in USA deal, it should be (percentage) Made in USA if it is made in USA. I dunno.
-Matt

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2008, 01:12 AM
1976 Ranchero GT

Last journal entry: Almost time for the first drive!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have had pretty good luck with my Ampro tools.
I think a lot of Chinese stuff is made to look more American. Maybe it makes us feel better about buying it somehow?
Anybody that buys tools knows you don't get real American stuff that cheap.
I am not sure Advance sells much of anything thats really American..
I have found myself going to NAPA more these days.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:43 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

A lot of the American made brandname tools are starting to go to China now.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:40 AM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

You know what.........I am not American, so I guess I don't have to be loyal.....Like very many Americans are anyways..

But, I bought a Chinese knockoff engine a few weeks ago for one of my garden tractors. It is 13 hp, electric start and looks exactly like the $999 Honda engine, except ist black, not red. I paid $288 for it....it runs great, starts first pull (I haven't hooked up the electric start yet)....That is just about 1/4 of the Honda price...If it lasts just 1/2 the time, I am still way ahead. Chinese products are getting better all the time and will continue to do so.....

I guess what I am saying is.......The US of A has preached and gone to war trying to convert the world to their way of thinking ..........Democracy.....capitalism is King..........

Well, now that other parts of the world are using capitalism to their advantage, you are whining about it.......And, don't tell me that you care about the working conditions and 5 cents an hour and all that......You don't care....you just care that you are getting beat. BTW...we are too...

OK...Slay me now

Budget RVs
Old 11-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Buickguy

Last journal entry: And now the new project
Last photo:

Chinese crap

Watch the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SRyG6UR2A
and understand that buying chinese stuff is not about whether or not they're willing to destroy their own environment (and ours because we're downwind); enslave their people; or use their people as crash test dummies and lab rats (think plastic in their milk).

The problem is chinese goods are nothing more then paper and tinsel. They have no incentive to make decent products as long as Walmart keeps buying their goods. And since they are a sovereign nation; they don't have to step up to the plate and pay for the damage they caused when their products hurt other people.

How does your calculation work when its your intellectual property that they stole to make their goods? How does your calculation work when you can't sell your goods because cheap chinese knock-offs damaged your reputation?

How does your calculation work if that motor comes apart on you while you're on your lawn mower? What if it kills you because they didn't use material that will hold up under its intended use? how about if it becomes shrapnel and maims your kid or your neighbor's kid?

I'm as much about saving a buck as the next guy; but chinese goods are not a quality product and to compare their motor to a honda motor is laughable.
Old 11-02-2008, 06:44 AM

Last photo:

Look at it this way....When I was a kid, "Made in Japan" meant junk........Today is the best in the world, or close to it.........The same is probably happening in China.........Make all the excuses you like...it's happening....its a "World" economy....get used to it.

Budget RVs
Old 11-02-2008, 06:49 AM

Last photo:

You're NOT American ?? ....isn't Canada still considered part of North America? ...or are you trying to distance yourself from our evil capatilistic country?
Old 11-02-2008, 06:58 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 327NUT
You're NOT American ?? ....isn't Canada still considered part of North America? ...or are you trying to distance yourself from our evil capatilistic country?
Haha...yes......

My American friends don't seem to like it when I spout off about Canada being as big a part of America as the US..........a little bigger as a matter of fact, area wise.................

Budget RVs
Old 11-02-2008, 07:31 AM
Car? Truck? Who Cares

Last journal entry: First week of December
Last photo:

Don't care where you live, Poncho.
I still like ya
Old 11-02-2008, 08:13 AM
Buickguy

Last journal entry: And now the new project
Last photo:

Funny thing about being the driving force to this world economy. If we demand quality tools; we get them. I don't know where you got protectionism from my points. My entire point was related to quality.

Again, chinese goods are crap; perhaps someday after they make suitable pot-metal eiffel towers - they can sell to us again. But at this point the stuff they make harms the environment; hurts people; and destroys their country.

Personally I think it's a great idea to exchange your finite resources for our paper. Never mind the humor I see that they're selling their country out for little bits of paper that may or may not be worth anything in the near future.

Finally, if you wish to preach - carry on. Otherwise, why not answer my charge about safety, environment, or improper labor/health practices?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:43 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

My bottom line thoughts....

Import a high quality tool, then back it with a real warranty, and I may use it. But what we need to do is start exporting. Lets start with the EPA and OSHA.....

Ina while, Chet.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:48 PM

Last photo:

My engine came with a 1 year warranty..........I imagine that is the same as Honda....whether they would honour it, I wouldn't know......I don't know anything about the conditions in the plant where it was built, as I imagine, neither do any of you.......All I know is, I seemed to get a decent product for an exceptional price. BTW, it was on sale....I think it was regular $429...still a long ways from $999...........Ask me in a year if I am satisfied with this product and I will let you know.

Budget RVs
Old 11-02-2008, 05:14 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

if you figure, a lawn tractor costs anywhere from $700-$3-4k on the high end.. a 13 HP MTD might run $1,200 or so.... if your going to spend $1,000 on a new engine, when you could have a new mower for $1,200.. spending $288 to keep an old mower going ( even if only for a year ) only makes sense.. to me anyway.

I actually have an old Squire applegate 21" push mower.. self propelled, adjustable deck, that adjusts with 1 handle, and not 2 like most are, and it cut like no other push mower ( it would throw grass 6' or better ).. problem is the engine went bad.. to get a new mower that I would somewhat call comparable would be $4-500 easy.. I'v been eyeballing the harbor freight engines as a replacement..
Old 11-04-2008, 11:12 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
My engine came with a 1 year warranty..........I imagine that is the same as Honda....whether they would honour it, I wouldn't know......I don't know anything about the conditions in the plant where it was built, as I imagine, neither do any of you.......All I know is, I seemed to get a decent product for an exceptional price. BTW, it was on sale....I think it was regular $429...still a long ways from $999...........Ask me in a year if I am satisfied with this product and I will let you know.
Tsk, tsk. I bet your engine doesn't even have a digital ignition system with 7100 RPM limiter. I'd also bet you can't get a decent drift going with that Chinese huffer.

BTW, are you building for dirt or asphalt?

P.S.: Honda makes mower engines? I thought B&S was the only one.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:11 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneshrink
Watch the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5SRyG6UR2A
and understand that buying chinese stuff is not about whether or not they're willing to destroy their own environment (and ours because we're downwind); enslave their people; or use their people as crash test dummies and lab rats (think plastic in their milk).

The problem is chinese goods are nothing more then paper and tinsel. They have no incentive to make decent products as long as Walmart keeps buying their goods. And since they are a sovereign nation; they don't have to step up to the plate and pay for the damage they caused when their products hurt other people.

How does your calculation work when its your intellectual property that they stole to make their goods? How does your calculation work when you can't sell your goods because cheap chinese knock-offs damaged your reputation?

How does your calculation work if that motor comes apart on you while you're on your lawn mower? What if it kills you because they didn't use material that will hold up under its intended use? how about if it becomes shrapnel and maims your kid or your neighbor's kid?

I'm as much about saving a buck as the next guy; but chinese goods are not a quality product and to compare their motor to a honda motor is laughable.
Not all Wal-Mart products are Chinese,I completely rewired my '54 and needed a lot of electrical connectors, Wal-Mart had all 3M Brand made in the USA connectors, CSK and Autozone connectors and switches are all chinese.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.